PDA

View Full Version : Dillema

Ehunter
08-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Ok guys, I'd like some input from you all. My dad's got a really nice buck running his property that's been shot in the shoulder. Looks like last years wound, but it's got a really bad limp. He wants me to harvest it when season opens. The problem I have is, it's tame enough (even though it's wild)it's feeding off his bird feeder and his lawn. I have an old stand back in the woods where it's coming out. Been a stand there for years. I know it's not alot different than patterning one coming into a crop field, or taking a certain path. Just something about shooting a deer that's coming into someone's yard. What do you guys think? Here's a pic of the deer. 7023

Skbengal
08-18-2012, 08:13 PM
I can sure see your dillema! He would look fantastic on your wall, but I can see how it might not feel like a true trophy. Your dad is opposed to let him hang around and live out the rest of his days in peace? He's got some great genes if he could pass them on.Good luck with your decision!

Ehunter
08-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Dad says he's limping badly enough, he has to be living in misery. He's also getting near the end of his prime. Thankfully, he has at least 5 offspring that dad has seen in his yard. One, is virtually identical in every aspect.

bricka
08-18-2012, 08:31 PM
I had a similar situation last had a doe which I thought was, under my tree stand walking plus limping so I decided to shoot it come to find out it was hit by a car so I am glad I did so take it into consideration about humanity

Simple Life
08-19-2012, 05:13 AM
If he is bad shape now,the rut will really wear him down,then he might be a coyote lunch.I would put him down,and even though he is a "backyard" deer,he is still a trophy and you should be proud to shoot him..JMO

Hutch~n~Son Archery
08-19-2012, 06:36 AM
I haven't been in that situation, but looking at it through my eyes I would take him as a trophy deer. It will solve his suffering and give you a nice Rack.

Hutch:cool:

elkslayer4x5
08-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Not a problem in my mind, is'nt that why there's a stand already on the that trail? I'd be up in it opening morning, evening until I took him. Might be a little differnt if you shot him off the back porch/deck, but location, location, location! Go get him! :)

Bent Arrow
08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm glad to hear he passed on his genes because he's a fantastic buck. He may have bone splinters working out of the wound. That would cause the limp and cause him great pain. If this were a cow or a goat of yours how would you handle it? You would probably bring him down with less suffering than a pack of coyotes would. Just my 2 cents.

Spiker
08-19-2012, 01:39 PM
I wouldnt hesitate to take him out and I havent even looked at the pic.
I've shot 2 deer in the past that were wounded. One had been shot with an arrow and one had been
hit by a vehicle. Both were only little fork horns and were right at the begining of the season.
Here we only get one deer tag so shooting them put an end to my deer hunting for both those seasons.
It didnt and doesnt matter to me - it was the humane thing to do.
And both of them were really tasty anyway.

dmw
08-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Shoot it ! It will not have anymore pain and you will have a trophy .
It's the best of both worlds.

Skbengal
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Ehunter. There is a good chance that if you shoot him, his whole shoulder will be gangrene. I don't know how it works in your state, but up here DNR will issue you a new tag if the animal is unfit for consumption. Gangrene poisons the blood, and the whole animal. Then, depending on the officer, he may or may not let you keep the rack. Even if they take it, our officers usually get trophy animals mounted and display them in their own offices. Anyway, good luck with your choice!

droppixel
08-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Dad says he's limping badly enough, he has to be living in misery. He's also getting near the end of his prime. Thankfully, he has at least 5 offspring that dad has seen in his yard. One, is virtually identical in every aspect.

Answers your question. If the animal has been wounded prior, I would feel it is necessary as a hunter to do the animal justice and take him if he was living a life of pain. Take the limp, the fact that he is going into people's yards ... he is still a whitetail and look at this as another step in doing your part as a hunter to manage the population and put some meat on your table. There are deer all over that go into people's yards and snack on their bird feeders, you just may not know it.

Ehunter
08-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Sk, in Kansas, once you shoot a deer, that's it. Doesn't matter if it's edible or not. Either way, I can always buy a couple doe tags for meat.
Thanks to everyone that's replied. I have decided that I am going to go ahead and try to take this deer when season opens. I was out there this past weekend, and I can see where his trail goes right past a stand I put up about 8 years ago back in the brush. Really think I'd be doing what's best for the deer, so that's what I'm going to do.

elkslayer4x5
08-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Sure does'nt hurt that he's a good looking buck, either. :)

Ehunter
08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Very true ES4X5, but I have also shot small bucks that have been hurt in the past, as well as burned a buck tag on a wounded doe once. Him being a nice buck just helps take the sting out of spending a tag. Personally, it's more about the hunt than the harvest to me. Good thing the girlfriend is bowhunting this year. I can take her out and hunt with her.