PDA

View Full Version : any tips buying on archerytalk

boobowbender
08-19-2012, 02:25 PM
agreed to buy a leupold vendetta from a guy. he wants a usps money order. he has only three transactions on his feedback(all good), but he was doing the buying. i think he should be allright, but i'm a little nervous.
brad

droppixel
08-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Communication. Get pictures of the item, keep all communication records so if there is any shady dealing you have proof of the deal. A lot of guys deal with money orders, some aren't very paypal friendly ... but paypal tends to side with the buyer, so there's that.

boobowbender
08-19-2012, 04:54 PM
i thought about requesting pictures, but cant he just copy and paste a pic from someone else

TEN RING
08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
I do pay pal only just for the peace of mind

themiddleman
08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
USPS money order is one of the safest ways to make a transaction for both parties. The money order is federally insured and makes it a federal crime if he was to try to rip you off.

boobowbender
08-19-2012, 06:46 PM
USPS money order is one of the safest ways to make a transaction for both parties. The money order is federally insured and makes it a federal crime if he was to try to rip you off.

that is very reassuring

Ehunter
08-19-2012, 06:53 PM
I agree. He could be nailed for mail fraud, which is a felony if he doesn't hold up his end of the deal. I ONLY deal usps money order on AT. You can still get ripped off on paypal. Gotta remember too, everyone has to start somewhere to get references.......

Arrow Splitter
08-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Gotta remember too, everyone has to start somewhere to get references.......Exactly. It's like getting your first job. Most places want experience, but how do you get it if you can't get a job?:rolleyes:

A.S

droppixel
08-19-2012, 09:27 PM
i thought about requesting pictures, but cant he just copy and paste a pic from someone else

I'm also into designer vinyl, a big thing that is done is to have them take a picture of the item with their username or some other identifying mark with the item ...

bfisher
08-20-2012, 05:39 AM
He should be willing to give you any and all contact info that you request along with pictures of the item. Sometimes a phone conversation goes a long way in that you can get a feel for the person's personality. As a seller I like to have the potential buyer's phone number so that I can talk to them for the same reason. It pays to go the extra mile. Ask any of my customers, and I am willing to share who they are so that a person can check my feedback on a one on one basis.

As for payment methods, I like to deal in postal money orders, but accept personal checks which delays shipping by a few days. In approximately 10 years I've never run into an unscrupulous buyer and I treat them all in kind. I'm not a dealer either. Just a guy that helps my sales rep sell his sample bows and extend some very good buys to those looking for the bows I'm selling.

Barry

elkslayer4x5
08-20-2012, 08:02 AM
Ask for all the photos that you need, from all angles, keep all comunications, and be very clear in what you expect. Pretty much the same as ebay. Find out exactly what you are getting. Every one of us had a first time.

gravedigger
08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
get his or her first and last name
current home adress so you con lookit it up and see if he does live ther
get a home and cell phone number if he has one
and make sure to keep all of his info.