PDA

View Full Version : Arrow for Cheetah

Hammer41
01-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Just got a new 08' Cheetah. Got a 27" DL set at 70lbs. Could or should I shoot 250 gr arrows with 100 gr broadheads? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first Martin bow and strictly treestand hunt. What kind of speeds can I expect from this bow?

bfisher
01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Maybe it's just the terminology, but the least amount of TOTAL arrow weight you should shoot is 350 grains at 70#. This is what is recommended to maintain the warranty.

The weight of the point doesn't matter. The weight of the shaft doesn't matter. Whatr matters is that you take the combined weight of all the compnents that make up and arrow and they should weight AT LEAST 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

27" draw, MPro cam. short A2A. You havw what on the string? Everything on the string slows the bow down.

I too shoot a 27" draw, but nothing near 70#. Doesn't matter what the pundage is. If you maintain about 5 gr/lb of draw weight and shoot a typical hunting setup then you can subtract about 50 fps from the bow's IBO rated speed. This is just an educated guess based on my experiences. Only a chrongraph can give you solid numbers.

flytier17
01-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Speed is great, but only one consideration. This is a hunting setup, not a 3-D tourney. Slow can be good too. I shoot FMJ's. The result is a high KE, high penetration shaft. The extra weight takes more energy to move it, thus, more energy goes into the arrow, as opposed to vibrations, making it quieter. A buck can jump any arrow at 50+yds, fast or slow, but not if he doesn't hear it in the first place.

I guarantee you that the heavy or light will not make a difference in the lethality of your setup, both will be capeable of pass-through killing shots.

As for brand, I think Easton is the best on the market, and I am sure many others will agree. If you are still looking for speed, look at the Lightspeed, or A/C/C, or Redline. I would reccommend the FMJ for hunting; it is unbeatably tough, thin, and built to tight tolerances. My 340's with quickspins and 125gr. points dress out at 513 grains.

Hammer41
01-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys for all the professional info.