PDA

View Full Version : Bummer; cows have invaded my spot

bob cooly
09-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Went in to my spot today to check cameras and had 600+ pictures of cows and 3 deer 2 shootable bucks but it looks like the cows have run the deer off. I did see a yearing that would fill the freezer nice big blocky black one. Don't know where to put my tag as it's only good for one with horns. Have to goto my #2 spot, maybe the cattle activity has pushed some deer into that area.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Went in to my spot today to check cameras and had 600+ pictures of cows and 3 deer 2 shootable bucks but it looks like the cows have run the deer off. I did see a yearing that would fill the freezer nice big blocky black one. Don't know where to put my tag as it's only good for one with horns. Have to goto my #2 spot, maybe the cattle activity has pushed some deer into that area.

Hmmmm beef hmmmmm venison Hmmmm beef hmmmmm venison Hmmmm beef hmmmmm venison I know I know both!!!!

Hutch:cool:

bob cooly
09-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Hutch, I had a NY cut steak tonight so I'm thinkin. That derned beast already had some one's orange tag on it's ear dadgumit. Who would tag a critter while it's still on it's feet?
After this season I'll need strings for my Onza and a 2010 Diamond Iceman, do you have specs on the Iceman?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Hutch, I had a NY cut steak tonight so I'm thinkin. That derned beast already had some one's orange tag on it's ear dadgumit. Who would tag a critter while it's still on it's feet?
After this season I'll need strings for my Onza and a 2010 Diamond Iceman, do you have specs on the Iceman?

When ever your ready let me know. Till then take a deer and leave the fat guys alone.

Hutch:cool:

Ehunter
09-21-2012, 04:20 AM
I'd bet the deer are still using that same area, but just another part of it. I have the same thing happen to me all the time. Cattle move in, and the deer just start using another trail. They always stay in that same area though. Something attracted them there to start with, so they'll keep coming back. They are used to seeing cattle.

Skbengal
09-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi Bob. I would say Ehunter is right. I went through the same thing, the farmer moved his cows in. It took a few days but the deer are using the same trails as they were before, they just avoid the cows in close proximity. The bummer is the darn cows fill up your sd card pretty quick ( I had 760 pics the other day, 30 deer the rest cows). When setting up, I would play the cows like you would the wind, move to a different spot if they are gathered in front of your stand on that paticular day. I posted some pictures under the trail cam thread thinking the cows might interfere, but as you can see they have not.71457146
These pics are from a camera 50 yds north of the first one.71477148

bob cooly
09-27-2012, 10:26 PM
7178 Come on boys the cows ar coming.

Double S
09-28-2012, 09:28 PM
There's nothing wrong with slow Elk (cows). Just got to work them to your advantage. :cool:

bob cooly
09-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I moved away from the cows and found a skinny little treeline thats leads to the lake. No new cowsign there and the deer trails looked good, will go up Sunday eve. and make a sit. Pull cards from the cams. hopefully they'll confirm what I'm seeing on the ground.

bob cooly
10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Went up this morning and the area that the two little guys are sparing in is completly denuded of under growth. Was surrounded by maybe 100 head of cows after using a fawn bawl to see if I could even get a doe to move ( trick that works well for mule deer), you just got to be careful a mad doe dosen't run in and kick the snot out of you. When I was hunting coyotes hard I had a couple of close encounters with doe's where i acually thought I'd get hammered if I keep it up, killed alot of coyotes that way so I guess it was worth it. Only have a couple more days to hunt so I guess I'll move somewhere's else.:(

elkslayer4x5
10-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Something else you could try Bob, put a good sized piece of a brightly colored fabric, yellow or red, on the other side of the field away from your freshly invaded stand area, it seems that cattle are attrected to brightly colored objects in their pasture. I found this out when as a youth I set up a Yellow two man tent in a remote corner of a cow pasture, came back a hour latter and it was surounded by cattle. It might work, and certainaly worth the try. :)

bob cooly
10-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks Elkslayer; I only have a couple more days to hunt, too much traffic on the weekends for me. I went into a place yesterday that I think the deer have moved into, but it is Hands and Knees type thick, I am too beat up to do that anymore so I will probably try to find a place just outside of it to make a stand.