PDA

View Full Version : to doe or not to doe that is the question

typically8
09-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Ok guys give me your opinion. I am hunting 2 tracks, 5 and 20 acres. There are lots of does, too many. Opening day is Saturday. If I shoot a doe I risk blowing the stand for a week at least. I like to keep them around and unsuspecting until the end of the rut in mid November in hopes I can lure in a buck. But if I wait things might go south and I might not get a shot.
What would you do?

Arrow Splitter
09-25-2012, 04:52 AM
Fill the freezer.:cool:

A.S

Chip
09-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Fill the freezer.:cool:

A.S

Our season starts this weekend, I have two places to hunt as well. My plan is to try and take a doe early and return to the same place when the rut kicks in around mid November. The other place I know is holding large bucks so I will hunt just bucks only. That's the plan, but you know what they say about best laid plans.

elkslayer4x5
09-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Take a doe early, the area will have time to settle down way before the rut kicks in.

Ehunter
09-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Shoot an old mature doe. I have shot bucks within 2 days of shooting does out of the same stand. Just don't leave a big gut pile laying right in the middle of everything. That attracts coyotes, and that'll ruin the deer hunting for a week or so. If I plan on hunting the same stand for bucks, I always drag the deer, or at least the gut pile a couple hundred yards away. Alot of times, I'll sneak in the next morning and hunt over the gut pile for coyotes. lol

TEN RING
09-25-2012, 09:12 PM
When I was younger I would shoot the first thing that came into bow range, now the the only thing I want to drag out of the woods is a buck so it's a personal thing if you are just starting out the best thing to do is a doe and learn about the shot and after the shot is take a doe live and learn so to speak. If you out to fill the freezer go for it

typically8
09-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I have killed plenty of deer. I am just real paranoid about contaminating the area; remember I take a pee jug w/ me. The two I shot last year I hauled home and gutted em there then hauled the guts off. I think the deer sensed that there was death in the air. I don't know. It is supposed to rain so if it does I, will try to arrow one.

droppixel
09-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Take a doe early, the area will have time to settle down way before the rut kicks in.

More the better. If there is an abundance of does - the bucks will have their pick of the litter, you may never see any of them if there are too many does running around. When you have fewer does in a concentrated area - the bucks have to come to them if they want the tail, make sense? It's all about keeping the ratio as close as possible.

ElkSlayer
09-26-2012, 10:18 AM
More the better. If there is an abundance of does - the bucks will have their pick of the litter, you may never see any of them if there are too many does running around. When you have fewer does in a concentrated area - the bucks have to come to them if they want the tail, make sense? It's all about keeping the ratio as close as possible.

yep take out a doe now ... less is more

typically8
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
They dont give enough tags for me to get them under control. I have not seen and do not have any buck pics. The neighbors shoot the first deer w/ horns they see and let the does walk. Silly peeps dont know how hard it is to cook them horns. :)

droppixel
09-26-2012, 10:38 AM
I can say with absolute certainty that I will be taking the first doe that gives me an opportunity - opening day or first sit - don't matter. Get one done and in the freezer and keep sharp for any bigger bucks that come by. Don't get me wrong, if I get a good opportunity at a buck while a doe is present, I'll take the buck ;)

ElkSlayer
09-26-2012, 01:30 PM
In a state where we get One deer Un less we drawa doe tag( i did not) I too am down for taking the 1st nice doe / buck you get a shot on. Given the chance in our now closed early season I would have taged out ina heart beat...meat is meat. That you dont by at safeway . same go for a cow elk

wscywabbit
09-26-2012, 03:09 PM
In a state where we get One deer Un less we drawa doe tag( i did not) I too am down for taking the 1st nice doe / buck you get a shot on. Given the chance in our now closed early season I would have taged out ina heart beat...meat is meat. That you dont by at safeway . same go for a cow elk

See I'm in the same boat as Elkslayer; Washington is only one deer tag/year unless you put in for the multiple deer tag. Then it's by draw only and the units available to hunt 2nd animal are few and far between.

Therefore, I usually spend the first couple days of deer season hoping for a buck, and the last few days (I only take about 10 days/year and travel 4 hours to get to camp) hoping for a shot at any deer. :)

Chip
09-26-2012, 04:12 PM
We can take six deer in my zone one antlered and the rest antlerless. I have a tag for a buck and one for a doe/antlerless most of my trail cam pics have been does so I hope to get one early. Don't get me wrong a decent buck comes by I will take the shot. There is no way my wife and I would consume six deer so two is plenty for my needs or wants.

droppixel
09-26-2012, 04:31 PM
See I'm in the same boat as Elkslayer; Washington is only one deer tag/year unless you put in for the multiple deer tag. Then it's by draw only and the units available to hunt 2nd animal are few and far between.

Therefore, I usually spend the first couple days of deer season hoping for a buck, and the last few days (I only take about 10 days/year and travel 4 hours to get to camp) hoping for a shot at any deer. :)

Remind me to never move to Washington ...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer Fill the Freezer!!!!!:eek:

Hutch:cool:

typically8
09-30-2012, 12:44 AM
For those that are curious, I did not seal the deal. Got rained out Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon, the sky opened up the nearest storm was 100 miles away, then blam...3,421,802 gallons of rain dropped on me.:(

TEN RING
09-30-2012, 07:17 AM
I have shoot doe only to end up blowing a shot at a buck that was coming up from behind

droppixel
09-30-2012, 08:37 AM
I have shoot doe only to end up blowing a shot at a buck that was coming up from behind

I've passed on plenty of doe thinking a buck was trailing behind based on their posture and behavior ... only to be left with nothing coming. Don't plan to do that much anymore unless I've already got one tagged.

TEN RING
09-30-2012, 11:13 AM
I used to shoot 5 deer a year I alway gave at lease 2 of them away to familys that needed some help after I cut them up the rest I make trail bologna, hot stick & jerky

ElkSlayer
09-30-2012, 12:44 PM
For those that are curious, I did not seal the deal. Got rained out Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon, the sky opened up the nearest storm was 100 miles away, then blam...3,421,802 gallons of rain dropped on me.:(

send that rain my way. walked up on a few deer today son got to put the scope on one but it was not the buck so he had no shot..even if he hada doe tag he said it was to small and wouldn't had shot aanyway... he is aloud 1 buck fork horn or better. so chances are he may not take a small forky.. he hasa bruser huanting him from last season... beleave it was one of the deer we jumped today, just to loud out there