PDA

View Full Version : Sudden String Twist/Untwist?

andy_camping
09-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Guys,

Something strange happened during my practice session today. It seems that the factory Hammerhead string has twisted almost one full turn out of the blue. It also looks like the serving around the idler wheel has started to fray.

Could the serving fray cause the string to twist or vise versa? Can't figure out what's happening.
I've shot the bow a bunch since I purchased it in Feb/March without issue.

Do the strings just twist or untwist suddenly, I've never experienced this before. Is it a simple fix to add twist and/or redo my peep?

Is it time for a custom string? Will? Why does this stuff have to happen a week before the season starts?

Thanks any help is appreciated,
Andy...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey Andy, the idler serving is loose and causing the string to twist. To reserve it will need to be put under 300lbs of tension. But before that you need to check you idler wheel for the reason it is frayed. Run a cotton ball around the idler and find any burrs. Then take a Emory file and take out the sharp edges. But it does look like time to re serve or a custom string. If you can post a pic. That would help.

Hutch:cool:

daiwateampenn
09-27-2012, 06:51 PM
serving fray can cause twist, and broken string also causes twist, because the string tend to get longer.

Could be the time for you to get a new custom made bow string and cable.

andy_camping
09-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Here's the pics. No press here. I'll have to take it to a local shop. To see about reserving that section. If it costs too much I'll probably have you build me one Will.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-27-2012, 07:32 PM
That clear halo is toast! Reserving is a must.. But when you have the string off find out why it got frayed.
If you need a string set pm me and I will get it out asap.

bob cooly
09-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Call Hutch asap that string is toast.

andy_camping
09-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Is it relatively easy to take the string off without a press? I know I just have to turn down the limb bolts, but is there anything special I should know about?

droppixel
09-28-2012, 08:50 AM
No just back them out 2-3 at a time alternating top and bottom. Keep a count on how many you have done. Keep an eye on the barrel nut to see when you can see space through and then stop. They are still a little tight when it is loosened up because the size of the cam, but you can get it off. Use one hand to rotate the cam a little to get some more slack and the other to take the string off the peg.

By the looks of that, you wheel looks like it has to have a rough spot on it or you got a lot of lean causing that. Mine is a little buffed, but not like that and I've been shooting the snot out of it since April. As soon as season closes Bill will be getting a call from me for sure.

andy_camping
09-28-2012, 08:59 AM
I think it may have been self induced. I was waxing my sting and I believe I either buffed the wax in too much (got too hot and melted) or the plastic rim of the wax tube was exposed and nicked it. Shortly after that application of wax is when I noticed it. Pay attention out there guys but I'll chech the wheel for burs also.

droppixel
09-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Don't wax your servings.

andy_camping
09-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I guess I found out the hard way....oh well I was eventually going to get one of Hutch's stings anyway. This way it will just be a bit ahead of time. I'll probably have the factory sting reserved in that section and keep it as a backup.

droppixel
09-28-2012, 07:49 PM
If you don't have any burrs or hard lean you could probably get away without the serving. Ultimately a nice custom set is going to be in order and something everyone that is serious about their equipment should be doing.

bob cooly
09-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Why not apply wax to your servings, the string inside the serving is working just like the exposed string. The trick is to get the wax through the serving into the string itself without leaving a wax mess on the outside of your serving.

droppixel
09-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Hey if you want to wax your servings - go for it. I'm just saying I don't.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
09-29-2012, 12:54 PM
In general I don't recommend waxing servings. String material has wax on it when its made. Servings protect the string material and doesn't allow sun or dirt to affect it. String wax is sticky and will collect dirt, causing wear when run through a cam or idler. For the most part when I have taken an old string apart, and looked under the serving it looks new. Strings even 5 to 6 years old. Generally I recommend waxing only the exposed areas.

andy_camping
10-05-2012, 07:05 PM
All fixed up thanks to Hutch and his daughter Shayna. BCY Trophy Camo and Black with Clear Halo Serving. The Halo is definitely tougher for the cam serving. Thanks guys.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-05-2012, 07:55 PM
If it untwists I didn't build it my daughter did!!!! Ha Ha!!!! Looking good! But it might be too pretty for shooting deer. So lets trade!!!

droppixel
10-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Good stuff man! Excited to get some new threads for mine after the season.

wscywabbit
10-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Lookin' good! Hutch makes good strings, that's for sure... ;) Like the color combo, mixes well with the Next Vista!