PDA

View Full Version : Removing broken allen heads

droppixel
10-03-2012, 06:48 PM
So, had an allen tool head break off in one of my module screws tonight ... anyone have any tricks they might use to get it out? I've tried to drill the head to thread a screw into and hope to pull it out that way, no luck - can't get a bite with the drill bit to do that.

What I'm thinking I might have to do is go from the back side and do the same, hoping I can get a hole started in the screw itself and thread a screw there and hope to be able to back it out of the module ...

Thoughts/Advice?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-03-2012, 07:09 PM
That is a tough one. If you do drill from the bottom of the screw. It will relieve the pressure on the threaded section. It might not always but might unscrew as you are drilling.

Wish you well!

Hutch:cool:

droppixel
10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Probably what I'm gonna end up doing, gonna need to find a replacement bolt for the module :mad:

madman350
10-03-2012, 07:52 PM
if you can use the very smallest drill bit in your kit to start a pilot hole and progressively work up to about 1/8" or 9/64"pilot hole (just stay smaller than what the allen tool diameter is ) i'd think you could bore the majority of the allen head wrench out of the module screw. drill in it and let the bit bite ( drill bits have some grip) and get stuck into the broken tool metal, release the bit from the chuck then pull n wiggle the bit outwards, maybe the broken metal will come with it . of course to start its best to have some type of a center punch mark, maybe make the mark with a drwall or 4p nail or tiny punch. cheap allen wrenches (probably one of the most ineffective 21st century tools we have that is still widely used) hurt lots of screw heads.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Probably what I'm gonna end up doing, gonna need to find a replacement bolt for the module :mad:
Module Screw Size: Flat head socket head 8/32 x 3/8" sold at most old fashion hardware stores. What size mod do you need?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Oh btw Dp, buy yourself a good bit driver. My bit driver has hardened tips non flexible. That way they won't snap.

droppixel
10-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh btw Dp, buy yourself a good bit driver. My bit driver has hardened tips non flexible. That way they won't snap.

Was a new tool I just got. I have a few other sets that I normally use - but this was a nice compact piece that I wanted to keep with me in my hunting pack. Oh well. Don't know that I'll be able to get a hole started in the allen head ... it's a pretty tiny piece, but will keep at it. Need to hunt down the smallest bit I can get my hands on to start.

It's the Bengal mod Bill.

Spiker
10-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Was this a 'ball' allen wench and the end of it broke off inside the fastener (module screw), or -
a regular straight allen wrench (or bit) broke off in the module screw?
Either way, or just a stuck or striped mod screw, the best first step is to go get a good left handed drill bit.

droppixel
10-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Yep ... one of the ball versions. The hardened steel wasn't so hard after all. Did try to put the smallest bit I have onto it and got no where. Will check the hardware store for something smaller this weekend. Module should be good for the short term, just don't want to get stuck if for any reason it starts to loosen up and I'm stuck without being able to tighten it back up.

gravedigger
10-04-2012, 11:25 AM
the head broke off in the mod screw,try a good shot of air and see if it will blow its self out.

droppixel
10-04-2012, 12:03 PM
the head broke off in the mod screw,try a good shot of air and see if it will blow its self out.

I'll give that a whirl. Looks like it might be a touch twisted also so I'm sure that doesn't help it any. Gonna try a few things and worst case drill out the screw from the bottom and replace it.

gravedigger
10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
I'll give that a whirl. Looks like it might be a touch twisted also so I'm sure that doesn't help it any. Gonna try a few things and worst case drill out the screw from the bottom and replace it.

some times it works and alot of times it does not.lol.in the end a drill might just be the ticket

boothill
10-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Maybe try a left handed drill bit? We have them here at our truck shop and use them on occasion when a blot head snaps off. Usually will start a bit and grab the bolt and back it out.

bfisher
10-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Just out of curiosity which bow is it? If it's one with te plastic module then just drill the head off the screw. If you mess up the module I'll send you a new one.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Just out of curiosity which bow is it? If it's one with te plastic module then just drill the head off the screw. If you mess up the module I'll send you a new one.

Its his Bengal!

bob cooly
10-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I second the left hand drill method. used it countless times in the power plant to even remove tough stainless steel fasteners that are extremely tough to get out.

Arrow Splitter
10-04-2012, 08:12 PM
If the screw is sticking out far enough out the back, try using plyers and unscrew it that way. If you can get the head far enough above the hole, then you could use the plyers on the head to keep unscrewing it.

A.S

droppixel
10-04-2012, 08:22 PM

For those that can't picture it, this is what I'm working with. I'd like to get the allen head out and save the mod screw if I can - otherwise, I'll use the bit to drill out the screw itself from the backside and find a replacement.

boothill
10-04-2012, 08:47 PM
We're you trying to tighten or loosen the mod screw when it broke? The left handed drill bit might break the head loose in the screw or at least back the screw out where you could work on it easier. Get it away from your string and cables anyway. Would be the way I would go at it.

droppixel
10-04-2012, 10:33 PM
loosen

daiwateampenn
10-04-2012, 11:07 PM
hey bro,

have you put your hand on the screw yet? if not, i got this advice for you.

i always got strip or broken allen, screw, nut... etc, in my car, and also my shotgun once.

wat i did, i asked my friend, who own a workshop doing welding and soldering.

he infact, use a small rod, according to him, bronze rod is recommended (its harder interms of flexis), solder the screw together with the bronze rod, let it cool down. and u can strip the screw by turning the bronze rod.

he did it for my shotgun sxs little tiny strip screw in the firing pin area. he did it for me on my car cyclinder head cover nut.

can give a try, but u need someone is good in soldering or welding.

bfisher
10-05-2012, 04:19 AM

For those that can't picture it, this is what I'm working with. I'd like to get the allen head out and save the mod screw if I can - otherwise, I'll use the bit to drill out the screw itself from the backside and find a replacement.

The pic says it all. I'd get agressive with it. Center punch the broken allen wrench and drill the sucker out starting with a smaller drill and work your way up. Drill the whole head off. Remove the other screw and remove the module. The screw you are working with should stick out far enough that you can use a pair of pliers on it. Getting another screw should not be a problem as any good hardware store should have one---button head cap screw.

droppixel
10-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Appreciate the follow ups on this. I think that is what I'm gonna do Barry. Makes the most sense to just use a drill to back out the whole screw and then drop a new one in. I'm not overly concerned with it right now because it is for sure tight otherwise the allen probably wouldn't have snapped. I don't have to move the module or anything - but was going to give it one more look for any edges before I got going on the season. Like to give all my stuff one last check before I start getting it out in the woods.

droppixel
11-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Just a heads up ... I got it out! I was out shooting a little bit ago getting a warmup in for this afternoon and checking sights, etc in case anything moved since last being in the woods. Got a wild hair up the rear to try 1 more time to get that little bugger out of there. There was a enough of a lip on the broken ball head that I was able to put a flathead screwdriver on it and lightly tap it with a hammer and it rolled itself out. So happy I don't have to drill out the mod screw and find a replacement now.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-03-2012, 01:28 PM
That is great news Dp. I agree no drilling is better.

Arrow Splitter
11-03-2012, 04:00 PM
That is great news Dp. I agree no drilling is better.

Hutch:cool:x2 That's the way to do it.:cool:

One of my screw heads stripped, so I had to drill it out. I drilled the head of the screw out, and was able to use pliers to unscrew the threaded part.

A.S