PDA

View Full Version : M pro vs Dyna cam?

bassnbucks
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Well last night was the first night of our winter archery league. I shot pretty well for shooting my old browning mirage- backup bow. My cams for my Martin are on the way, I cant wait to try it out with the dyna cam.
I talked my buddy Kyle into buying a Bengal last night after shooting! He was looking for something faster and lighter than his old PSE nova and fell in love with the bengal at first draw! I have to say I really liked the feel as well, very smooth draw and a hard wall with good speed for a $329 bow!
I only hope the dyna cam I have on the way is as smooth and has a hard back stop as well. Has anyone shot both and have any input on how they compare? Also I am looking to install an STS shock stopper/ string stopper on my tracer- any pos or neg feedback would be appreciated. thanks in advance guys.

flytier17
01-16-2008, 08:26 AM
I have shot a bengel. The M-pro is a smooth cam, designed to have minimal nock travel, and a smooth cycle. The Dyna cam seems to be an energy cam, designed for speed. Therefore, I can guess that the Dyna will be a harder draw, but may have better speed. The nock travel is not optimal however, at least on the Jaguar I saw.

bassnbucks
01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the response. I havent shot a lot of bows but that m pro cam was one of the smoothest. I dont mind if the draw isnt as smooth on the dynacam as long as the nock travel you mentioned doesnt hurt my 40 yard shots. It will be a bonus if I get more speed, I was getting 263 fps with the truarc cams and my easton hunting arrows. I shoot 70lbs with a 30.75" arrow.
If its not any faster thats ok too, as long as I can get good groups out to 35-40 yards. My cams should be in any time now, im gonna call the shop today just to check. Im getting real itchy to shoot my Martin again, its been about 2 weeks now!
Im also planning on adding an STS string stopper, I think this will help reduce the "jump" I have. I didnt really notice it until I shot some other bows.
Also I would like to get a reasonably priced bow press, any recommendations there?

bfisher
01-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Don't get too much in a tizzy about the bow jumping---or hand shock as it's called today. This is just vibration from the bow AFTER the arrow leaves the string. The less there is makes a bow more comfortable to shoot, but has very little to do with accuracy. It's mostly marketing hype, playing up to the consumers' gullibility.

Believe me, bows jumped pretty bad way back when,,,,,,,, Recoil didn't really start decreasing much till the advent of the parallel limbs. Before that it was controled by adding mass weight, a good stabilizer, limb savers and such. Good string silencers sure helped, too. They still do.

flytier17
01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Tru-Arcs are Duals, no? If so, I would expect more accuracy out of them than the Dyna.

I personally would stick with the Tru-Arc cams. Unless you get significantly more speed to make it worthwhile. If speed is your desire, go to AT classifieds, and look for Nitrous duals. Not sure if they are compatible with your bow, bfisher will probably know.

Your groups shouldn't be affected by nock travel at 40. At 60+ though, oval shaped groups are the telltale sign. Both my mathews' had this.

bfisher
01-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Tru-Arcs are Duals, no? If so, I would expect more accuracy out of them than the Dyna.

I personally would stick with the Tru-Arc cams. Unless you get significantly more speed to make it worthwhile. If speed is your desire, go to AT classifieds, and look for Nitrous duals. Not sure if they are compatible with your bow, bfisher will probably know.

Your groups shouldn't be affected by nock travel at 40. At 60+ though, oval shaped groups are the telltale sign. Both my mathews' had this.

Alec,

You're giving me too much credit. There is a lot I don't know. BUT-----TruArcs are not pure dual cams. They were Martin's attempt at a hybrid and only lasted a couple years.

All cam systems have there little quirks. None are perfect. True today as many years ago the true dual cam is still one of the best systems. One reason is that they leave a lot of room for tinkering and adjusting. And if good cables are on the bow there are no issues with cam sync and/or nock travel. They're pure and simple.

That's not to say that single and hybrids aren't good. They're just harder to keep in tune and understand. Personally I haven't messed with hybrid cams. No reason to. All myMartin bows have Nitrous X cams on them. Even the cable guard is eliminated so no side torque, cam lean, or limb twist.

bassnbucks,

You go ahead and shoot the DynaCam if you wish. Draw your own conclusions. I think you'll find it works pretty well. Nock travel isn't the malady it's hyped to be. Most of the problems with it have been worked out.

What bow you putting this cam on anyway? Are the limbs compatable? How did you come up with this idea?

bassnbucks
01-17-2008, 11:20 AM
The bow I have now is a Tracer with magnum limbs, an 04' that came with the tru arc cams. the lower cam broke at the bearing. Martin is sending me new limbs, dyna cam and idler as well as cables and string. I guess this is martins normal fix for the weaker truarc cam system. This is why Ive had so many questions, my bow is gonna be quite a bit different. The parts should be here soon, ordered a week ago wed!

bfisher
01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
The original TruArc had this problem, breaking at the bearing. TruArc+ was an attempt at improving the cam in several ways, strength being one of them. For whatever reason Martin discontinued them after two years.

They do recognize the problem with the cam, but in order to satisfy their cusomers with warranty issues they chose to replace any with problems with the DynaCam. In some cases, like yours, in order to have the same weight range with the DynaCam it's necessary to replace the limbs with one of a different deflection.