PDA

View Full Version : The 100 yard shot

bob cooly
11-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Archery Club is going to have 100 yard shoot to determine if someone can win a free membership, sooooo to day I dropped my 50 yard pin to the bottom of the sight and jacked up the peep untill I was hitting a Rineheart 18/1 target about 1/2 the time, first time ever shooting at 100 yards. This is strickly a fun shoot. My 50lb Onza throws a pretty good arch with my 450 grain hunting arrow. I came home and actually put a stabilizer on my bow, something I never hunt with. I can move my peep easily, Whisperlite requires no siezing, I just insert a string spreader and can slide the sight wherever I want. Think I will try a 380 grain arrow tomarrow. Any advice on how to get the most out of THIS rig would be appreciated, front sight is the IQ 4 pin, Thanks, bob

Woody69
11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
That depends if you want the cheap version or the expensive version.

The cheap version would be to just raise your peep and drop your sight (as you have already done) and possibly a new set of skinny target arrows that are just a little over IBO.

Or the expensive version would be a proper target bow, with a fully adjustable target sight and a small scope (about 1" or a slightly larger), a stabilizer of at least 30" with a reasonable weight on the end, and a new set of skinny target arrows that are just a little over IBO.

And lots of practice with either version ! ;)

Woody

elkslayer4x5
11-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Move your anchor point to under your chin. and move your peep down to fit your eye, it will give much more range on your sight, and if you've got lighter arrows, that are spined for your bow, use them, the big arc won't matter, let your pin float, don't try to hold your pin on target, relax and concentrate on the target, and the pin will settle. You've got plenty of speed and power to reach 100 yds, after all, People shoot those distances all the time with Olympic recurves. Accurately. :)

Spiker
11-02-2012, 09:33 AM
+1 on the skinny stiff target arrows.
Shooting 50# you should build some arrows at about 315-320 grain with something like mini-blazers.

Woody69
11-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Another (cheap) thing you can do to get a little extra distance is to have your sight bar in as close to the riser as possible.

Woody

bob cooly
11-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks guy's for the tips. Went out today and nailed the center of a paper plate on the third shot. This is a one time thing for me so I don't want to invest much money and the shoot is next Sat, so I really don't have time to build alot of stuff I'll just go with what I got for now. I hope this dosen't lead to something $$$$$ I spent enough doing BPRC being able to hit a pie plate at long range when I was doing that. Humm need new bow and sights and arrows Honey, can I have $2K PLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE. NO,ok.

Woody69
11-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Have you had that shoot yet ?

Woody

bob cooly
11-10-2012, 08:42 AM
It was scheduled for today but I can't make it, the wind is gusting 60+ miles and hour and my burnt up lungs will keep themselves inside today. I did manage to get to the point I could hit a paper plate regularily. It's not something I would invest alot of $ in, just a fun shoot to raise some $ for the club and a chance to get a free membership.

Woody69
11-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Oh that's a shame, I was hoping to hear all about how you did, and what you thought of the whole experience, and whether or not it had you hooked enough to do it some more !

Woody

ElkSlayer
11-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Its fun just knowing you can hita target at 100 yds

elkslayer4x5
11-11-2012, 07:42 AM
What are the distances shot in F.I. T. A., Woody? Have neve shoot that format, but have shot a few 1000 field rounds since 1966 when I shot my fiest field round, but there are only two 80 yrd shots in a field round. Most of them with a 30-40# recurves. :)

Woody69
11-11-2012, 03:25 PM
What are the distances shot in F.I. T. A., Woody? Have neve shoot that format, but have shot a few 1000 field rounds since 1966 when I shot my fiest field round, but there are only two 80 yrd shots in a field round. Most of them with a 30-40# recurves. :)

A full FITA is shot from 4 distances, starting at 90 metres (98.4 yards), then 70 metres (76.5 yards), then 50 metres (54.6 yards), and finishing at 30 metres (32.8 yards), you do six ends of 6 arrows at each distance (36 arrows per distance), the first 2 longer distances are shot on a 122cm face, and the two shorter distances are shot on a 80cm face.

But there are also a bunch of other rounds that we also shoot as part of a FITA club, with various amounts of arrows, and distances, and sizes of faces.

It's a lot of fun, I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't tried long distance shooting before to give it a try if you get a chance.

Woody

elkslayer4x5
11-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks Woody. thought that F.I.T.A. was shot at a distance that related to the topic of this thread. And now we know why your whole family shoots Nitrous camed X bows, to get the power and speed for those 90 metres shots! :D