PDA

View Full Version : rest?

navaman
01-17-2008, 06:11 AM
first off let me say "thanks " to all of you who have been so helpful in posting responses to my questions and not holding it against me that i'm a crossbowman.
this question has to do with arrow rests. I bought a trophy hunter "shaky hunter rest for my orion but I feel that being a "newbie" like I am, that whisker biscuit may have been better way to go.
I understand that the biscuit requires a lot of re-fletching but I do that anyway for my xbow arrows.
if I should spend more money what is the advantage of the martin lock mount? thanks.

Maine Wood
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Others here know allot more than I do but here are my thoughts. Stay with a drop away rest. I am shooting a rip cord, I also like the Quad rest. the shaky hunter is a very good also. I am not sure what your concern is but if it is tuning and set up work with a local shop if needed (just get it right) I have 3 archery buddy's that are all switching to drop away rest. It is a better system, give it time.

dbd870
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
In defense of the WB if you use a fletching like the Blazer with them you won't have any problems, speed loss is something else brought up and when actual tests have been done the average seems to be about 2fps. In addition there is nothing to hang etc. when you're out in the nasty stuff (Might as well keep something simple!). Having said all that a good dropaway like the the higher end QAD's are fine as well. I was considering switching myself but as hunting is my first priority, I decided to stay with the WB. It really is more of a personal preference issue unless you're building a target bow, then that's a different conversation.

bfisher
01-17-2008, 10:04 PM
There are a couple of drawbacks to a Whisker Bisquit nd I'm not trying to sound biased. Just providing you with info---and I don't hold it against you shooting a XGun...LOL. If you're within the law then it's your choice.

Back o the WB. There is a slight speed loss and more wear on the fletching, but nothing that can't be handled. If you fletc your own then I would just recommend stiffer vanes, like the Blazers. The biggest disadvantage is that because the arrow is "contained" accuracy can suffer. Thi is because any movement of the bow before the arrow leves has to be transferred to the arrow. You must concentrate on following through with the shot so the bow doesn't move.

Just thought you should be aware of this.

As for using the Martin Lock Mount? Well, it maks things sit flush with the riser with no movement up or down if anything works loose, but this doesn't happen very often. You can do just as well with a standard mount or drop-tine with the advantage that it will adapt to any other bow you might buy in the future.

A WB has advantages, too. Arrow containment for one. If you spot and stalk or still hunt it will hold your arrow in place, and silently I might add. Some guys like them because they can "shoot even if the bow is upside down". Excuse me, but I've never done that or even close to that in 25+ years of shooting and bowhunting.

Give you credit. At least your XGun is a decent one. One of the best.

navaman
01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
thanks for the comments and opinions on this subject. bfisher I appreciate the compliment on my excalibur xgun.they won more 3D crossbow tournaments for the past 20 years + than any other crossbow maker out there.
BUT, I believe I also have a pretty good compound bow from one best bow makers out there too.
in a coouple of hours i'm taking the orion out to the lease to get that beautiful and evasive axis doe. i'm praying that i'll be able to post a sucessful report when I get back . i've got the shaky hunter drop away rest on the bow. yesterday I shot 3.5" groups at 20 yards. that's not too bad for a worm, is it?

bfisher
01-18-2008, 10:28 AM
3.5" at 20 yards is so-so, but not great. I'm sure, if you dedicate yourself you'll be able to do that at 40 yards in the near future. I know, as an old fart with aging eyes and an aging body I'm still not satisfied with 3.5" at 40 yards anymore. On good days I can shoot sub-2" groups so that is always my goal. They keep getting fewer and farther between, but the mind hasn't forgotten about it.

Keep at it young man. Try to concentrate on your shooting form. Form is everything. It doesn't have to be perfect, but does have to be repeatable from shot to shot. You'll get it.

Archery is a big learning game so try to tackle one thing at a time, perfect it well as you can. I know back when I shot field archery it took me several years and a good coach to drum things into my head. Once I got it down there were days I could shoot 3-4" groups at 60 yards. It just takes a lot of dedication and patience. Have I said that before?