PDA

View Full Version : arrow drop

navaman
01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
okay. another rookie question. the other day was still hunting at my lease with my crossbow and i walked up on a good looking axis doe. she was standing about 40 yards in front of me so shouldered the excalibur, held the 35 yard pin over , and released my arrow. the string slap against the riser was loud and I watched 6he arrow drop like rock as she ran off.. that crossbow with a 400 grain arrow is moving along at 285 actual fps.
now what i'm wonderering is this. if had taken that same shot with my new/used orion do you think the arrow would have had much greater chance of getting there or just a slightly better chance?
I know that compound bows have a flatter trajectory than a crossbow and i'm feeling pretty bad about not getting that doe. for what it's worth, i'm taking the orion with me tommorrow and try it again.

flytier17
01-18-2008, 04:29 PM
I really wouldn't be able to say for sure. I shot a crossbow a while ago, and it was like a gun. Mount it, look through the scope, line cross hairs, pull trigger, watch bullseye dissappear.........

Shooting a compound is a lot different. I find it forces you to concentrate much much more on the shot. As such, there is less chance of going "trigger-happy", and releasing just because it looks righ. You have to kno0w thgat every possible variable is accounted for as best as you can before the bow goes off.

With the Exocet 200 I was borrowing, I could robinhood every 3 shots, offhand @ 25yds. I went coyote hunting. I was offered a perfect 24yd shot, and the bolt was about 2 feet high. I do not suffer from buck fever. It was just target panic.

Shooting a compound, I had to focus so much more. I put a coyote down flat at 75yds. quartering away!

bfisher
01-18-2008, 10:47 PM
With the Exocet 200 I was borrowing, I could robinhood every 3 shots, offhand @ 25yds. I went coyote hunting. I was offered a perfect 24yd shot, and the bolt was about 2 feet high. I do not suffer from buck fever. It was just target panic.

[/QUOTE]

Target Panic, TP, Buck Fever----all the same thing. Momentary lack of confidence or afraid of failure.

navaman
01-19-2008, 05:11 AM
"araid of failure"? not me friends. as a matter of fact, i've become quite proficient at failure .LOL