PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a hang on tree stand

cmwr
11-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I bought an Ameristep Challenger tree stand today. I was wondering what is the easiest way to hang one of these the day of the hunt? I bought 5 screw in steps also. I have hung tree stanstands before but I don't feel like carrying a ladder in the woods this time. My plan was to screw my steps in and hang onto the tree with my safety harness attached and try to hang this baby. This sounds difficult. Any idea to simplify things?

Ehunter
11-21-2012, 03:36 AM
Most often I'll take an extra step with me, and place it above where I am going to hang my stand. Once I get the stand pulled up, I tie it off to the step, so I'm not having to try to hold it up as I attach it. Makes it alot easier than trying to hold the stand up while you wrap straps around the tree. Once hung, I take that step back out, and move it over to the side, so I have an extra handgrip to grab while getting into the stand.

cmwr
11-21-2012, 06:54 AM
That's a good idea thanks

bfisher
11-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Hang-ons can be a real pain if they are heavy. I like a stand to be comfortable and unfortunately that means heavy. A few years ago I sold one I really liked for it's weight. It was a Loggy Lite, 18"x24" and only weighed 5 1/2#. Great for those long walk-ins. I never used climbing sticks. I have a thing called Scissor Sticks. Folded up it's 18"x25"x5" and weighs 9# and bungies right on the treestand for a nice compact package of 15#. The Scissor Stick then extends to a 16' length. It's similar to those elevated work platforms you see being used at construction sights.

cmwr
11-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I got my shoulder straps on and adjusted properly. I think this stand weighs 15 lbs maybe a tad less. It is steel not aluminum. If I decide I want a second hang on I may check out those aluminum ones my local wal mart had. They were gorilla brand and weighed less than the one I bought the other day.

typically8
11-23-2012, 11:25 PM
A drill will help those scew in steps go in fast. Or use a small bow hanger to start a pilot hole. I hate strap on stands because I always need another hand. But the lighter they are, the easier it is. My newest on has a bracket you put on the tree first, very easy. Be careful!!