PDA

View Full Version : How long do you keep a bow for?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-05-2012, 12:59 PM
How long do you keep a bow for?
Years
Months
days
Life time

Hutch:cool:

Spiker
12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
All of the above.

gravedigger
12-05-2012, 01:57 PM
it depends.i would keep my bengal for ever,even if it busted in half.but if a situation came up and i needed money ASAP i would sell it in a heart beat.on that note as long as i have my good friend jay he is willing to buy it off of me and sell it back to me.

droppixel
12-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Not sure yet ... I don't think the wife will ever let me get rid of the Cheetah she bought me, so we'll see about that one. The Bengal right now could be a very long term bow just because of how awesome it is and the adjustability in the Fury cam, my boys could end up shooting it. Real question is how long can you go in between buying a bow ...

Durandal
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Well a wise man once told me "you don't fix somethin that ain't broke". So unless the riser breaks or I can't have the limbs replaced, long enough for the bow to become vintage and pass it on through my will to my son or grand son....

Technically never I guess. :p

WildWilt15
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Longest i have ever owned a bow is 3 years and running its my cheetah, Im not the type that absolutely HAS to hold onto it but if there is no point in selling/trading then why do it?

daiwateampenn
12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
depends on situation.....

afterall archery is just like other hobby. some people like to keep them. some like to sell them to upgrade.

Like fishing, i have molest maybe like 20 fishing reels this year, but i don keep them for long. i try them, and i sell them to taste new one...

Current Bow just don make me feel to sell it off... it just melted in my hand and shooting so good. i dont see a need to change at the moment, unless i quit Archery.. so called "quit archery" dont think so...

its so addictive sport. i shouldnt start archery... im big trouble keep buying additional archery related stuff.:cool:

Rootsy
12-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I seem to hang onto things. My Pro Safari was a birthday present in the 80s.... I shot it for years and through college leagues, etc and finally upgraded to a cougar 2000 in 2001. I still have the cougar but it needs a new home... A slow sell thus far locally. I am happy with my current arrow arsenal until Martin offers something new that blows my skirt up... Maybe in the next year or three... Right now I am starry eyed with the Cougar FC ana AZ.

Ehunter
12-06-2012, 04:23 AM
I have a couple bows I'll probably never part with for sentimental reasons. First bow ever, first bow I killed a buck with, etc. Other bows, I tend to hang onto for a year or more, until I run into something else I'd rather have.

elkslayer4x5
12-06-2012, 08:53 AM
A while. Bow on the left is a 1968 Ben Pearson 'Cougar', and the other is a 1971-2 Darton 'Fury'. Actually, I bought the Cougar last year, but the Fury, I bought in 1971 or 2, can't remember for sure. Oldtimers or CRS. :D

http://images.imagelinky.com/1354807931.JPG (http://images.imagelinky.com/1354807931.JPG)

MartinTracer
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
My present bow is a 2004 Martin, no change in the near future

Tosi
12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Kinda like a wife,, "you never Know",,, Just turned over a few bows to 2013s' and hope to keep theses for a long time, but you really never know...

TEN RING
12-07-2012, 05:08 AM
the longest I have had the same bow is about 2 years

alex
12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Life long - if possible. I think it's kind of useless to change a bow each year. This summer i took my MOAB which wasn't shot for about 10 months and after a few shots i was able to make a good group from 20 to 60 yards. I'm used to the bow and know it well, so what's the point of taking a new one? And the last 2 years the specs don't change at all.

bob cooly
12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
2010 Diamond Iceman
2011 Onza
See no need to get rid of anything. What I want is one of everything. Just passed a killer deal on a Alien Z, alwayz looking for the perfect deal, I think I jest missed it.
Every archer needs 4 bows, a target bow, long ata hunter, short treestand hunter, and a classic longbow or recurve. Oh just send me one of everthing 50lb drawweight, 29" draw.

Mike G
12-28-2012, 07:29 AM
It seems I keep bows longer now than I used to. Actually I should say I use them longer now, not that I get rid of them, but keep them as back ups or set up the old ones for specific uses.
My oldest is my Damon & Howatt recurve that I have set up for carp shooting. 45#@28" draw. I bought it when I was a young man in the early 70's. I like a recurve for this because I feel I can shoot quicker when a shot presents itself. Fingers and instintive sighting.
My self made longbow is a 60" long hickory with deer leg sinew and rattlesnake skin backing with a 60# pull @28", 6 1/2" brace and flemish twist string. This bow I've used for rabbits and other small game and just fun shooting. I really have no idea why I have never taken it out deer hunting. I guess it's just I know I'll have that opportunity at a very large buck at 35yrds which is out of my effective range with this bow on larger game. I've owned it for about 20yrs.
I still have my 1996 Martin Prowler with Z-cams. This is just a meat axe of a bow. Seems to be indestructable and I always keep it around as a back up. I have shot more game with this bow than any other I have ever owned and have never had any problems with it. It even still has the Martin lock mount prong style rest I bought with it.
With compound bows I always say: "When technology advances where I can see a very good reason to get into a new bow I'll buy the next one." In the beginning of compounds this was very often. For the last 5 years when the limbs started getting more and more parrallel and the brace hieghts were getting longer while the speeds remained somewhat constant I kept thinking maybe next year. I just couldn't ever decide on what bow and which company to go with. Last year I seriously started to look and I finally made up my mind to switch back to Martin. Then came the big decision ... which one? I decided on the Cougar FC with the Fury xt cams. The bow felt great in my hands, I liked the draw cycle and with no extras the bow feels smooth and steady, quiet at release. The price was the deal cincher. I wanted to reduce my draw wieght.:)I am not getting any younger:) So I got it with the 60#limbs. With the adjustability of this cam by just dialing it in, it's just remarkable.
I am replacing a 2001 Bowtech Black Night 2. Set up 70#, 28" draw, 65% let off, it has a 6 1/2"brace, arrows wiegh 405grains. My hunting setup shoots 280fps through the crono. I am not getting rid of the Bowtech because even though I keep getting told it's loud and too aggressive of a cam with a low brace hieght and hard to shoot; I can drive tacks with it! Just think what I'll be able to do with this Martin Cougar!