PDA

View Full Version : Re-using a bow after several years

yungaburra
12-23-2012, 08:37 PM
I have a Martin Lynx Magnum Speed Flite compound bow which I have not used for over 7 years. I now want to start using it again. I have heard that when a bow is drawn after a long period of non-use the arms may break. Is this true ? If it is true what should I do to be able to use it safely?

bfisher
12-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I have a Martin Lynx Magnum Speed Flite compound bow which I have not used for over 7 years. I now want to start using it again. I have heard that when a bow is drawn after a long period of non-use the arms may break. Is this true ? If it is true what should I do to be able to use it safely?

I wouldn't worry about the bow breaking from non-use. I've had a few in the past that weren't shot much. I even had a PSE target bow that hadn't been shot in 20 years and when I did pick it up it shot as good as they day I got it. If you have any doubts you could take it to a shop and let them look it over and maybe even test shoot it. Probably, worst case, is that the string/cables might be need changed more for your peace of mind than anything else. Besides, string materials are better than they once were and so are methods of building strings.

polaris754
12-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Yeppers get it looked at , like Barry said then GET SOME NEW THREADS