PDA

View Full Version : Onza XT coming off Bowtech Diamond opinions

palu49
01-09-2013, 11:51 PM
A couple years ago I put the Old Tracer (deadly bow by the way) in the closet and got a bowtech diamond stud.. Well I'm still a Martin man at heart and was wondering what your opinions would be on me trading the Diamond in on the ne Onza XT.. Are they comparable bows to the Diamonds I know Martin doesn't put out crappy products but was just wondering if you guys would think this would be a good choice. Thanks Paul

Lab Rat
01-10-2013, 05:46 AM
The first Martin that I bought was an 2011 Onza, and it is an awesome bow. When I bought my second bow I shot the Heli-M, and the PSE EVO 7 thinking that I wanted to know what everyone else was talking about. In my mind the Heli-M and the PSE EVO 7 are really nice, but compared to the Onza I could not justify paying the extra cash. To me the draw cycles on all three are very smooth. The shots all feel pretty good with a slight advantage to the EVO -- but you have to remember we are comparing a 2011 Onza at $600 MSRP to the $1000 MSRP Heli-M, and $1000 MSRP EVO 7. I think that the new Onza XT is based on the Rytera Nemesis so the Onza XT could be better than the other two bows. You can't go wrong with the Onza, save some money so that you can buy more targets, and arrows because you will wear them out with Martin bows. Also they have awesome customer service.

wscywabbit
01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
GET IT!!!!! You won't be disappointed, I promise! :) The new Onza XT is last year's Rytera Alien XT, which has some really cool machining in the riser. However, there is no difference specs wise from the 2012 Onza 3... that being said, this time of year is a great time to pick up last years model at a great price if you shop around... I know KM Archery hut for example has 2012 Onza models starting at $399. ;)

palu49
01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
So if I go leftover instead of the XT which is better the Onza 3 or the Rytera Alien? Thanks for the input guys Paul.

Phantonza
01-10-2013, 01:46 PM
The shots all feel pretty good with a slight advantage to the EVO -- but you have to remember we are comparing a 2011 Onza at $600 MSRP to the $1000 MSRP Heli-M, and $1000 MSRP EVO 7.

What kind of advantage did you observe?

I think that the new Onza XT is based on the Rytera Nemesis so the Onza XT could be better than the other two bows.

As already said, it's the same as last year's Rytera Alien XT - which is the same as Onza 3, but with a slightly different visual appearance.

Lab Rat
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
The 2012 Onza would have the nitro cams and the alien would have the hybrid cams. Knowing how much I like my Onza I would buy it at $400. Then get some good arrows with extremely tuff nocks -- you're going to need them.

Phantonza
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
The 2012 Onza would have the nitro cams and the alien would have the hybrid cams.

Hybrix, that is. It's the same cam as Nitro, only machined differently inside for a different visual appearance :)

Phantonza
01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
So if I go leftover instead of the XT which is better the Onza 3 or the Rytera Alien? Thanks for the input guys Paul.

Depends which one looks better for your eye :) Basically slightly different looks is the only difference between Onza 3 and Alien XT.

Well, perhaps Alien XT has factory installed string silencers (based on some ad pictures) that Onza 3 doesn't.

Lab Rat
01-10-2013, 02:55 PM
The EVO just holds really steady probably due to the let off being lower and the bow that I shot was very quite. My Onza is noticeably louder and requires some add ons to quite it. It really depends what you want to spend and what you want to do with it. I would shoot all of the bows that you are interested in and shoot them one right after the other if you can. Then let your wallet and you decide which is best. Don't forget about customer service either. I can tell you that the local shops in SW Michigan would rate them in the following order 1. Martin and Mathews tied. 2. PSE and a distant 3 to Bowtech. Apparently they haven't been nearly as responsive.

Phantonza
01-11-2013, 01:24 AM
The EVO just holds really steady probably due to the let off being lower and the bow that I shot was very quite.

You could experiment with Onza's draw stop for a lower letoff.

My Onza is noticeably louder and requires some add ons to quite it.

Bowjax Slipjax (or similar) on the strings makes a huge difference with Onza's noise level. I even have measurement data about it, but you can easily tell the difference with naked ear. An the cost of string silencers is minimal.

WestMichiganBowhunter
01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
The EVO just holds really steady probably due to the let off being lower and the bow that I shot was very quite. My Onza is noticeably louder and requires some add ons to quite it. It really depends what you want to spend and what you want to do with it. I would shoot all of the bows that you are interested in and shoot them one right after the other if you can. Then let your wallet and you decide which is best. Don't forget about customer service either. I can tell you that the local shops in SW Michigan would rate them in the following order 1. Martin and Mathews tied. 2. PSE and a distant 3 to Bowtech. Apparently they haven't been nearly as responsive.

I can tell you that LaB rat is right on here. We live in the same general area and visit the same shops.

Martin and Mathews are the dominant bow lines being sold(mathews #1)....with Hoyt and bowtech / diamond 3rd and 4th place..ish. With Bear coming on strong!!!
I just hope Ted Brooks Archery (kalamazoo, Michigan) keeps the Martin line for 2013. It would be a shame not to carry the awesome 2013's!
Someone get the Martin Rep in at Ted's. He hadn't heard a peep from him in quite a long time (this was Nov. that Ted was saying to me) Sounds like this could be a area of improvement for Martin to look at....hint hint.

Get the bow dude......there shooters. Save your money.

Lab Rat
01-11-2013, 08:21 AM
I have talked to Brook's also and the way he talks is that the Bear line may serve as the line that replaces the Martin's that he once carried. I know a lot of people want to find value in everything that they buy especially in this economy and Martin provides that with their great designs for a reasonable cost. It truly is a shame that we can't get our hands on them. I wish that the local Gander Mountain would carry them because they blow the Diamond bows out of the water.

WestMichiganBowhunter
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
I have talked to Brook's also and the way he talks is that the Bear line may serve as the line that replaces the Martin's that he once carried. I know a lot of people want to find value in everything that they buy especially in this economy and Martin provides that with their great designs for a reasonable cost. It truly is a shame that we can't get our hands on them. I wish that the local Gander Mountain would carry them because they blow the Diamond bows out of the water.

as we have pm awhile back about ted and carrying martin.
i was afraid he might ditching the martin line in favor of the bear. He wouldn't come out and say it...he just said for now he had a martin account. He has a business to run though....understand that...

palu49
01-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Alright thanks guys I'm gonna go shoot the Onza XT and if they have the other two as leftovers I'll try them out too