PDA

View Full Version : Alien Z cam lean

bob cooly
01-11-2013, 03:26 PM
My freinds Alien Z has alot of cam lean to the left and his string are prematurely wearing. Whats the cure? Also the factory strings are JUNK! 500 shots and I have had to reserve the string stop and today the string at the nocking point was showing through the serving. Told him to order a new set of strings, but need to get the cam lean out first. Might have to send it to Martin. Bow shoots great but I am dissapointed in the difficulties we are seeing in a brand new bow.

Lab Rat
01-11-2013, 05:15 PM
When I first got my Alien Z, the bow was set at the lowest draw setting and I was so excited to shoot it that I just picked up the bow and shot it. At the shortest draw setting on the Hybrix 2 cams the bow had a lot of cam lean or limb twist. Once I set the cam at the 30.5 inch setting the cam lean or limb twist was not very noticeable. I had issues trying to get a good paper tune and could not get the left tear out until I got rid of the roller cable guard and installed a tilt tamer. This radically changed the shooting, centershot and torque on the riser -- but it sounds like the bow is shooting good? Do you have cam lean at full draw or at brace? I could not stand the side torque on the Alien Z, but once I got rid of it the bow was awesome. I am not sure that you can tune the lean out of the cams since we don't have yolk cables. I suppose that leaves reducing side torque from cables or stiffer limbs to keep limbs from twisting. Could it be possible that the cams or bearings are bad? Can you take a picture of the cam from behind at draw and rest?

Lab Rat
01-11-2013, 06:44 PM
I think that some have also swapped top and bottoms limbs to try to limit limb twist.

bob cooly
01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Bow is maxed at 50lbs and draw lenght is 29" the cams are leaning at rest. I don't have the bow right now so I will try to send some pictures soon. Can you replace the rollers with a slide? The riser is cut out for the roller guide.

Lab Rat
01-11-2013, 09:31 PM
I bought the cable slide kit from Martin. It bolts right into the slide cut out. Then I put a tilt tamer on the cable rod. Took most of all side torque out of the bow and the centershot moved away from riser. The left tear went away. Here are some pics. If you get one from Martin you need to talk to Tech support to get the part numbers. I truly don't know how much the cable slide would have improved the bow without the tilt tamer since I put it on right away. When I get my bow back from Martin, I may just put on a belt cable rod to make things cleaner and lighter. Notice how the center shot on the bow is after the tilt tamer. Before that the rest was way closer to the riser and the arrow was pointing way to the right at brace.

Lab Rat
01-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Bob, sorry I meant to write a bent cable rod. I believe a couple of people on AT are selling them anodized.

bob cooly
01-12-2013, 05:20 PM
LABRAT; thanks, I told him today to call Joel. I will relay this to him asap. I have NEVER liked roller guides of any sort BIG PERIOD.

bob cooly
01-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Now I've got myself thinking ( dangerous thing ), I would like to get rid of the roller gizmo on my Diamond Iceman. Smoothest 32" ata bow I've ever pulled, but have fletching clearance issues with my Blazers. Have to shoot cock vane out to clear the cables. UUummMhhH.:confused::rolleyes:

Lab Rat
01-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Bob,

I agree, the roller cables look good, and add some preloading to the limbs but man they can add a lot of side torque to the bow. On my Alien Z I could feel the tension that the cable guard put in the riser. When the tilt tamer was on the tension was immediately gone. As you know a lot of the companies are trying to get away from the torque by using different devices. There is a reason that the target bows don't have the stupid roller cables. Tell your buddy that once he gets the torque out of the bow he will be in need of new arrows.

Lab Rat
01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Bob,

Diamond cam out with a flex guard option for the 2010 Diamond Iceman. You could probably retrofit?

TEN RING
01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
I bent my own cable rod for a firecat and for my onza 3 http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?23761-Well

Bauer.40
01-13-2013, 05:53 AM
On my Hoyt Vantage Elite Plus I use the "CPR System" of ArcTec a Deutch company!!! for the season outside I am going to take up it on my Nemesis!!

bob cooly
01-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Joel told my friend the cam lean was normal for the hybrix cam and string wear is to be expected:( Now that Martin is for sale I am wondering about the kind of CS we all are accustomed to. Really kind of a drag as I just bought a new Bengal. I remember to well when Winchester rifles were cheapened after being bought up, thier reputation never did recover after that. We don't buy new bows so we can work on them after just 500 shots:mad:

bob cooly
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
My friends limbs are delaminating. Sent the bow back to Martin. Iam sure they will replace the limbs but they really need to think about how to reduce camm lean on all their Hybred cams. Wondering about my Onza now. Excuse the grammer and spelling Doc. took a chunk out of my middle finger.

wscywabbit
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
If you think about it, the Hybrix/Nitro cams we use today do not have a split buss or a yoke to even the load on the limbs. Since the cams mirror each other, it most of the load on one side of the bow, so cam lean is inherent and natural. I don't know how you would fix this other than split bus or yoke, so the best you can do is just watch your servings.

Now, I just replaced my factory strings after 2 years on my Onza, and I am very particular about setup, specs and what not; I had very minimal wear on my servings after thousands of shots. So IMO, if you take the time to make sure that all your specs are right, the cams are timed, and the load is even between the limbs, serving wear should be minimal. :)

bob cooly
02-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Rabbit, I think the extra riser lenght may exagerate the problem and affect the limbs more.

elkslayer4x5
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Rabbit, I think the extra riser lenght may exagerate the problem and affect the limbs more.

Longer riser length should have less cam lean than a shorter riser would, all else being equal.

bob cooly
03-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Friends Alien Z now has less than 50 shots and the bottom limb is doing the same thing as the first set?

elkslayer4x5
03-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Here's some 'out of the box' thinking on cam lean... what causes the split limbs is the twisting of the string being pulled off to one side of the bow, What if you shimed the limbs to conter act that 'sideways' twist? Probably would have to shim under the limb cup, but your limbs would be being drawn straight down/up, rather than twisting. Just wondering, But as I have 1000's of shots thru both Slayers and they are X rigged, so the limbs are bent evenly and still show no signs of splits or cracks, and they are the "old" limbs, pre PowerTuff. As I said, thinking 'outside the box'. :)