PDA

View Full Version : How to make a PVC Stabilizer: A tutorial

Arrow Splitter
01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-e41vuXgCM

elkslayer4x5
01-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Looks good AS, except, why did'nt you use your calipers to draw a stright line down the the pvc? :)

Arrow Splitter
01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Looks good AS, except, why did'nt you use your calipers to draw a stright line down the the pvc? :)Good point. I'll keep that in mind for my next short one.

A.S

Mike G
01-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks A.S., I'm going to have to try one of these myself.

I told my wife that drill press would come in handy for me... lol

Mike

Arrow Splitter
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Thanks A.S., I'm going to have to try one of these myself.

I told my wife that drill press would come in handy for me... lol

MikeYou're welcome.
I don't have a drill press, or I would have used it for my stabilizers.:( A drill press will be a great help for you.

A.S

wscywabbit
01-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Nicely done A.S. I think I may have to make one of these, even if its just because now I can :)

Arrow Splitter
01-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks wabbit. I'll have to post pics of the finished stab from that video, as well as another stab I made for my sister.

A.S

TEN RING
01-13-2013, 11:03 AM
I made one years ago before the sts's came to be the vibs where to much for it, might just have to try another one with the bows today I think it will hold up well

Arrow Splitter
01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
I made one years ago before the sts's came to be the vibs where to much for it, might just have to try another one with the bows today I think it will hold up well

You can put rubber on the outside or inside for dampening. Another guy used rubber undercoat spray and then painted it.
My long stab and one of the short ones has a piece of rubber hose on the inside over the front bolt.

A.S

TEN RING
01-13-2013, 02:20 PM
You can put rubber on the outside or inside for dampening. Another guy used rubber undercoat spray and then painted it.
My long stab and one of the short ones has a piece of rubber hose on the inside over the front bolt.

A.S

You can also put o rings on the outside

Ankhdad
01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
A.S, I owe ya a drink!
Great video! I had some of the materials you used lying around, just needed the end caps. $1.25 x 2 at the local plumbers...and whadda ya know...
measures 12", but I think I might bring it down to 8"

will take it for a test run tomorrow!

Arrow Splitter
01-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Very nice job, let me know how it does. Did you use any rubber for dampening? Of course, you'll probably find that you don't need it with that bow.:cool:

A.S

Ankhdad
01-16-2013, 01:06 PM
my end caps are not glued atm, just in case I have to make some adjustments.
I do have 6" piece of bike tubing wrapped tightly around the carriage bolt on the end, but you're right, the bow doesn't give much vibration to start with.
I shot a few arrows this morning, and really noticed a difference keeping the bow level.
It was fun do to! Just have to finish the target stand....??what have you guys got me into??lol

Arrow Splitter
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
my end caps are not glued atm, just in case I have to make some adjustments.
I do have 6" piece of bike tubing wrapped tightly around the carriage bolt on the end, but you're right, the bow doesn't give much vibration to start with.
I shot a few arrows this morning, and really noticed a difference keeping the bow level.
It was fun do to! Just have to finish the target stand....??what have you guys got me into??lol
Welcome to the sport of archery.:cool:

I noticed with my 2011 Firecat that I don't seem to need rubber either. I haven't glued my end caps yet either. I may not glue the ones on my 8" stabilizer, but I will glue the one end cap on my 21" stab were the 5/16" bolt is.

A.S

bob cooly
01-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Stuff it with packing peanuts and throw some weight in it between the peanuts if you need to. Paint the paking peanuts any color you want and it will look really custom, maybe match the green on the bowstrings.

Arrow Splitter
01-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Good idea Bob. That should definitely remove any vibration at all from the stabilizer.

A.S

alex
01-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Great job! Now because of you I must go to the hardware shop again ;)

WildWilt15
01-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Just checked my collection of junk, and sure enough i have about a 20 inch long peice of pvc schedule 40 3/4 with end caps i have a drill press at hand i might throw something together for hunting but my apache works so nicely i don't really need to and i can't say i have the spare time... we will see.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Just checked my collection of junk, and sure enough i have about a 20 inch long peice of pvc schedule 40 3/4 with end caps i have a drill press at hand i might throw something together for hunting but my apache works so nicely i don't really need to and i can't say i have the spare time... we will see.

Pics a must!!!

Hutch

WildWilt15
01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Alright I officially started mine, I have tomorrow off of work so i will have a little free time Holes drilled and first coat of paint done i need to pick up a couple things from the hardware if it all works out It will probably go on my new hunting bow that i will be picking up in a month or two.

Ankhdad
01-20-2013, 01:17 PM
'Popcorn' has been spray painted. Just waiting for my free time ( kids are sleeping) to stuff them into the stabilizer.
Now I tried with and without the stab and I can't really feel a difference vibration wise. May end up being cosmetic only...

Arrow Splitter
01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
'Popcorn' has been spray painted. Just waiting for my free time ( kids are sleeping) to stuff them into the stabilizer.
Now I tried with and without the stab and I can't really feel a difference vibration wise. May end up being cosmetic only...
You probably can notice a difference in balance. Try balancing the bow in your hand with and without the stabilizer. Adjust the front weight until the bow sits vertical in your hand, or add extra weight so the bow tilts forward a little.

By the way, it might be kind of hard to stuff your kids in your stabilizer. LOL:eek::D

A.S

Arrow Splitter
01-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Alright I officially started mine, I have tomorrow off of work so i will have a little free time Holes drilled and first coat of paint done i need to pick up a couple things from the hardware if it all works out It will probably go on my new hunting bow that i will be picking up in a month or two.

About time! I've made three already.:cool::D What color is it going to be?

A.S