PDA

View Full Version : NY's sweeping new gun legislation... what do you think?

wscywabbit
01-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Here's a quick breakdown of what NY is proposing, and what the current administration may be trying to do. Some of this just makes my head hurt, and cause me to wonder what the future holds for our 2nd Amendment rights.

Provisions in a sweeping gun control bill before the New York Legislature:

—Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.

—Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.

—Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.

—Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.

—Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

—Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.

—Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.

—Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. Someone caught with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

—Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.

—Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.

—Increase penalties for shooting first responders, called the "Webster provision." Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole.

—Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.

—Require pistol permit holders or those who will be registered as owners of assault rifles to be recertified at least every five years to make sure they are still legally able to own the guns.

Double S
01-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Hitler, Staling, pol pot and others communists or dictators would be proud!. In order to conquer a people...you must disarm them first.

CaptJJ
01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
The legitimate gun owners are not happy with this infringement on our Constitutional rights that will do nothing to stop criminals. A main point of contention is how this was rushed through by our Governor, sidestepping the required 3 day discussion period, by declaring there was an urgent need for the new laws.:rolleyes: It is also clear that Cuomo is using this as a springboard to the Whitehouse.

All the legislators from my area, way upstate, voted against; of course this was mostly supported by the Dems from the high population areas near NYC.

One State Senator has started a petition to repeal that is getting a lot of signatures, and a lawyer is starting a class-action suit in Federal court, pro-bono(free) for anyone interested.

CaptJJ
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Hitler, Staling, pol pot and others communists or dictators would be proud!. In order to conquer a people...you must disarm them first.

They don't plan on stopping with NY. The President used children at todays news conference, history does repeat itself.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/582257_322055357901254_1987891112_n.jpg

Lab Rat
01-16-2013, 09:00 PM
For many months before Paul Revere made his ride, tension between the Colonists and British Troops had been on the rise, both in the city and in surrounding towns. The Royal Government (the British government in Massachusetts) wanted to ensure that troops would be able to secure the colony in case of rebellion. Orders went out to confiscate weapons that the Colonists had been storing throughout the countryside.

Several parties of British troops had been sent up the coast to confiscate ammunition in Salem and parts of what is now New Hampshire. In both of those cases, Paul Revere and other riders who were members of the Sons of Liberty, alerted the townspeople of the movement of British troops well before those troops could reach their destinations. The munitions were successfully hidden and the British troops were humiliated

When General Gage, the Commander of British forces in North America and a parishioner at Old North , decided to seize the weapons and ammunition at Lexington and Concord, he didn't want to risk another humiliating failure, so he devised a secret plan. On the evening of April 18 th , 1775, he would order his British soldiers cross the Charles River and march the remaining 15 miles to Lexington under the cover of darkness, arrive at sunrise to collect the armaments and return to Boston before the townspeople could organize their resistance.

However, someone found out about this secret plan—some believe it was General Gage's maid, some believe it was his own American-born wife, Margaret Kimball Gage, who informed the leaders of the Sons of Liberty that the troops were on the move by way of the shorter water route across the inner harbor.

Paul Revere and the Sons of Liberty had prepared for this troop movement and set about to alert their countrymen that the British Regulars (the British soldiers, sometimes referred to as Redcoats) were heading their way. Sending just one rider into the countryside was far too dangerous this time. Revere asked Robert Newman, the church sexton or caretaker, if he would send a back-up signal to warn the patriots in Charlestown, just in case Revere himself was captured on his ride before he could spread the alarm that the British were on the move.

Where is Paul Revere and the Sons of Liberty when we need them. I am sickened every time I hear that there is no reason to have assault weapons for hunting. The founders understood that an armed citizenry was the last defense against a government gone wrong. Imagine a government that is broke, that needs wealth to repay it's debts, that would confiscate it citizens gold (wealth), a government that would force churches to pay for abortions, a government that would use wire taps to spy on its citizens to keep them safe, a government like that would confiscate weapons if they only knew where they were at. If you don't comply letting them know where they are you are a felon. Join the NRA even if you don't own a gun. Vote. Pray. Pray for the true Patriots to have the courage to stand up to the masses even if they appear to be on the wrong side.

wscywabbit
01-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow Lab Rat, thats quite the history lesson. We need more reminders of what our forefathers faced and dealt with in their establishment of this great nation.

Well met guys! :)

Lab Rat
01-16-2013, 10:16 PM
We have it pretty easy. Just think how the founders felt fighting for the freedoms that we take for granted every day. Can you imagine signing a document basically thumbing your nose at the King, this was a death sentence at the time. Most of our leaders don't have the backbone to standup for what is right because they may not get re-elected. What do you think our founders would say about how we have taken care of the country? My wife is right, I shouldn't watch the news or read. I should just shoot arrows.

droppixel
01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
This wasn't proposed, it is my understanding that it was signed into law ...

daiwateampenn
01-17-2013, 02:23 AM
My country does not allow weapon. Only those shotgun leftover (at least 50 years old)from the pass from the family then u still can have it with a condition where the shotgun is meant for crops protection purposes. Else, all the shotgun go back to the government, no more new license to be issued.
Hand gun definately is not on the street.

To me, no matter how well you control the gun is useless. my neighbour division in my states, just the last few week, happens to have 3 murdering cases with a pistol. So where is the pistol come from???
Neighbouring country? Smuggling? I donno. To me, if that fella have the intension to kill, he or she will find the way to get the weapon.

If a good2 hunting guys like us, we will only put amunition on those buck, and bull and not on human.

Its all about the person intension of using the weapon.

just my 2cent opinion.

Double S
01-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Man has been killing each each other since the dawn of time and gun's weren't around back then. Why didn't they ban Box cutter after 9-11 ?. When a drunk driver mows down a person walking down the sidewalk and killing them. Or a group of kids crossing the street. Why are they still allowing people to drive cars?. Why do they allow them to make cars?. They kill people too.
How about kitchen knives, Baseball weights, dumb bells, golf clubs Those have been used to kill more than once?. Why are they still allowed to be sold. A gun is just a tool. just like the items I mentioned above. They need to start addressing the mental and violent state of many Americans. How do you regulate crazy?. :mad:

It's the person using the tools fault. Not the tool manufacturing company.

andy_camping
01-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Totally screwed....

Just as an example, we can keep our current 10 round mags but can only load them with 7 rounds. That's how rediculous some of the bill is.

CaptJJ
01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Totally screwed....

Just as an example, we can keep our current 10 round mags but can only load them with 7 rounds. That's how rediculous some of the bill is.

The real reason for the 7 round limit is that it takes most semi-auto handguns off the market; they can't be sold because 7 round mags aren't even made.:mad:

Lab Rat
01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
You only have to look at Chicago. They have some of the most strict gun restrictions and it is basically the homicide capital of our nation. 7 round mags first, then handguns, then pump shotguns. Before long they will try to make anyone having a banned gun a felon, even if it was bought prior to the ban. Then they will confiscate. At that point it will get ugly. I heard Coumo speak about confiscation on the news. Even though they did not pass that in NY this time don't pretend that they won't try it. I find it amazing that states are passing laws to legalize marihuana use, but at the same time are going after law abiding citizens. Keep us high, mellow, and unarmed?

Ehunter
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
The thing that apparently NONE of the anti-gun nuts is looking at is one simple fact. CRIMINALS are the ones using guns illegally. It is pretty obvious to me that CRIMINALS don't care much about laws, or they wouldn't be CRIMINALS to start with. The only two things ANY gun law or restriction is ever going to accomplish is this:
1. Making it impossible for an innocent citizen to defend themselves against criminals and the government.
2. Turning what would be law abiding citizens INTO criminals when they refuse to lay down their arms.

If it ever hits Kansas, I will proudly be among the second group.

wscywabbit
01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
The thing that apparently NONE of the anti-gun nuts is looking at is one simple fact. CRIMINALS are the ones using guns illegally. It is pretty obvious to me that CRIMINALS don't care much about laws, or they wouldn't be CRIMINALS to start with. The only two things ANY gun law or restriction is ever going to accomplish is this:
1. Making it impossible for an innocent citizen to defend themselves against criminals and the government.
2. Turning what would be law abiding citizens INTO criminals when they refuse to lay down their arms.

If it ever hits Kansas, I will proudly be among the second group.

^^^See this is also the way I see it!

Even if certain types of guns/ammunition/capacities are restricted, those people that want them, and want to use them for evil, will GET THEM ANYWAYS! And when they do, and they face a law abiding citizen who has followed the bans/restrictions, that criminal will automatically have an advantage with a bigger, better, faster weapon!

I'm not saying that all restrictions should be released, (obviously a normal citizen doesn't need a fully automatic rifle or hand grenades), but at some point, you have to move toward education instead of restrictions, bans, and legal threats....

CaptJJ
01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately, the public is being swayed by intentional techniques where certain words are used that prey on people's emotion so that they don't make decisions based on the facts. If you are interested here are a couple links that help explain what has happened.

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

This guy makes a lot of sense, good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-36SMjAUCc

Lab Rat
01-17-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't agree with all of what Uncle Ted says on most things, but on gun control I think that he has it right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUIXH9DeCRU

This is what I think about when people talk about gun control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyX6KCBLbsY&list=UUvB3solmhqtgDeLpD-yTtfg&index=55

I wish that Hickok45 was the Principal of my kids school.

bob cooly
01-17-2013, 10:20 PM
You must look beyound the guncontrol, O'BAMA Care, and all the rest of the political cowardness that now flows from GuBeRnMeNt. The American experiment is failing not in a steady decline but expoentualy, as in we are falling off a cliff. It's all planned, nothing is an accident. We are becoming morally bankrupt moment by moment. When the collapse comes it will be sudden and final for free America. If we cannot return to the last sentence in the Declaration of Independence, we are DONE! From my youth I was taught the difference between registration-confiscation is only a day away, that day is very near.

Ehunter
01-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Well said Bob. It's about a lack of character in this country anymore. Granted, there's a few people that still have it, but overall, the people in this country have no character, and no sense of self-responsibility.

bob cooly
01-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Ehunter; It's not just about SELF responsibility, but again that last sentence of the Declaration. Read it again there is no I in that simple pharse, but a sense of truley being "my brother's keeper". I have just a few close friends and to the degree that we stand together as "a band of brothers" we are stronger than any one man standing alone, the main ingredient missing in our culture is TRUST! The President has learned his lesson's well "a house divided cannot stand", today we are more racially, economically, spritually, family divided than anytime since the Cival War.

Mike G
01-18-2013, 02:25 PM
In our constitution we were given the right to be armed.

This was not meant so that we could go hunting.

This was not meant so that we could defend our houses and family from an intruder.

This WAS meant so that the citizens could rise up against a corupt government!

Enough said.

Mike

TEN RING
01-19-2013, 10:24 AM
George Washington: "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"

Double S
01-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Here, Here!. Ole Georgy was a Prepper like me!. lol

George Washington: "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"

Rootsy
01-22-2013, 06:30 PM
In our constitution we were given the right to be armed.

This was not meant so that we could go hunting.

This was not meant so that we could defend our houses and family from an intruder.

This WAS meant so that the citizens could rise up against a corupt government!

Enough said.

Mike

The Constitution and the Bill Of Rights do not grant us "rights". To the contrary, these doccuments spell out the powers granted to the Federal Government as well as restrictions placed upon it. This is an important fact that every American needs to commit to memory and fully understand. All Government derives it's just powers from the consent of the People, not the other way around.

An individual's rights transcend Government and are pre-ordained by our Creator by virtue of our existence.

To read our governing documents one will understand that these documents are speaking to the "Government" not to the citizen.

CaptJJ
01-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Gov. Cumo rushed this legislation through in order the gain national popularity, he wanted to be the first to pass new gun laws. This will end up as a huge mistake, he will get lambasted for the lack of transparency and public input. I don't think he has a chance to get into the White House now.

wscywabbit
01-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Gov. Cumo rushed this legislation through in order the gain national popularity, he wanted to be the first to pass new gun laws. This will end up as a huge mistake, he will get lambasted for the lack of transparency and public input. I don't think he has a chance to get into the White House now.

If this is a taste of what his legistative tendancies and his leadership style would be like, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all that he doesn't make it to the White House!!!!

Tosi
01-23-2013, 07:26 AM
The issue is, it most likely won't stop at the 2nd amendment rights. If the Federal Gov changes and or counters the 2nd amendment by executive ordered and or congress passes changes, "our freedom" will not be the same as we have lived since the Bill of Rights were written. If the current administration can't get "Gun Control agenda" passed by current congress they will wait for mid term elections and campaign to get the party that will make changes elected to congress, they will hope the Senate stays as current. Executive orders (maybe risqué). The people will have the choice. The last election cost most of us about $2500 more in tax's a year per house hold. Plus think about how much in federal spending will go into enforcement at any measure of control, how do you say more taxes? Don't think for a second that NY will not ask for federal help in enforcment. I belevie that a few other states may follow suit with NY. (Just My View)

bfisher
01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Tosi, I would only argue one point of you post. There won't be much money spent on enforcement of any new law. The fed doesn't spend any money enforcing the 20,000+ gun control laws on the books now.

As for Cuomo making the White House? I'd never say it can't be done. All he has to do is use Obama tactics saying "tax the rich and give to the poor" or "more govt handouts to the poor" and he'll carry the vote of most major inner cities just like Obama did.

Lab Rat
01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Bfisher is dead on, Obama is the most liberal senator that we have seen in recent years and he got elected. His policies have done nothing to help us get out of the mess that we are in and somehow he was re-elected. What happened to it's the economy stupid. The Democrats realize that they need to play only to its base and to turn everyone out to vote. The Republicans better wake up, they can't be the party that says "see I told you that Liberalism doesn't work". They need to eradicate Liberalism just like the Democrats are trying to do with Conservatism. They need to take the gloves off.

CaptJJ
01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Tosi, I would only argue one point of you post. There won't be much money spent on enforcement of any new law. The fed doesn't spend any money enforcing the 20,000+ gun control laws on the books now.

As for Cuomo making the White House? I'd never say it can't be done. All he has to do is use Obama tactics saying "tax the rich and give to the poor" or "more govt handouts to the poor" and he'll carry the vote of most major inner cities just like Obama did.

$36 MILLION to implement the new gun controls in the budget Cuomo announced yesterday, not that NY has extra money to spend on anything. Problem is the uninfomed fools that not nothing about guns or how they operate don't understand that the law has no teeth. They assume all "gun control" must be a good thing and it's worth it to "save the children".

NY is like a smaller version of the country, a large part is rural but the majority of the poulation is centered around NYC. A lot of the counties in my area of upstate NY are facing serious budget shortfalls because of State mandates, telling counties what they must provide without providing any funding to do so. Counties have to figure out what to cut, one of the few things they can do to save money is by reducing sheriff patrols.

Spiker
01-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Just to be sure the government knows where I stand, I put some new footpegs on my chopper.
I call them my Obama Specials...

Tosi
01-24-2013, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=Spiker;99711]Just to be sure the government knows where I stand, I put some new footpegs on my chopper.
I call them my Obama Specials...

"Right on spiker". I just bought a AR-15 with four 30 rd clips and a few 5 round clips. Not crazy,, just at this time my rights to buy/own what firearm I like.

bfisher
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Spiker, those are way cool. Just be careful or those stupid libs will be after your bike next.