PDA

View Full Version : String changing on martin saber

Sabertooth
01-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Whats the best way to change strings on these w/o a press detailed instructions would be great. I was gonna block the cam after drawing a coupleinche was tol it was a bad idea. The only way i can think to do this is to roll cam remove toke cable but then limbs wanna come off. Thanks guys plz. Im about 0 mile away from a press

bfisher
01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Take a careful look at the limb bolts. They are screwed into a barrel nut at each end of the riser. Look into the barrel nut from the side and you can see the threads of the limb bolt. Loosen each limb bolt a few turns at a time equally. When you have backed them off about 10 full turns or so you should be able to look into the barrel nut and see daylight or the end of the limb bolt. At this point there should be enough slack that you can remove the string. Then the cables. You may have to or be able to back off about 12 turns, but keep an eye on the limb bolts in the barrel nut.

Once you replace the rigging just crank each limb bolt back in about 4 turns at a time till you reach the desired draw weight.

Hope this is understandable as it really is that simple---most of the time.

wscywabbit
01-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Sabertooth! Do like Fisher said and you'll be fine. One of the nice perks of owning a Martin compound, is that they can be taken down with out a press if they really need to be! :)

Sabertooth
01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Me and hutch discussed this also just nervous lol, im gonna have to do this for peep alignment to lol

Sabertooth
01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Id post pics of the process so other members who are new can get the hang of it how would u go about this

elkslayer4x5
01-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Me and hutch discussed this also just nervous lol, im gonna have to do this for peep alignment to lol

LOL. Relax, it really is as easy as B Fisfer has said. It takes 18 full turns to remove the limb bolt on my bow, and you'll only need to go 10-12 turns to loosen the rigging enough to remove it, don't worry, each turn of the limb bolt lessens the stored energy of the limbs, by the time you get to 16 turns the rigging will literly fall off the cams. It is so easy that even a 67 year old like me can do it! :D

Sabertooth
01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Finally broke down and did it made several vids of the process ill get em up on utube tonight. tied in my dloop and every thing,, wasnt real hard , but i didnt have my dloop tight enough(this aint in the vid) and nocked an arrow and stepped on the porch, drew back to check my peep, didn't even get 3 inches back and pow my dloop pulled out.....lesson learned

think that would hurt my bow arrow took off

wscywabbit
01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
At least no one was hurt! As for the bow, it'll be fine. For one thing you had the weight of the arrow against the string, which is why you shouldn't draw a bow with out an arrow nocked; you just never know! :)

The other thing is that you learned a lot and took a step further into the archery world than most archers do. I think it's important to learn how to do most of the little things many people take their bows to shops for... It will help make you a better archer if you know how things work ;).

Sabertooth
01-25-2013, 03:56 PM
I appreciate all the good advice,

I never draw back without an arrow on....Buddy drew mine back when I first got it, fingers and no arrow i chewed him up one side and down the other...you'd think I had an onza ( I WISH) then i showed him the vid of what happens. These vid are lengthy but ill post the links when they're up hope ya'll like em, criticism is good cause i prolly did alot wrong

Rabbit,

I love working on my own stuff the local dealer is a hoyt mattews dealer and they're a good distance away. Gotta buddy with a Helim(He mad cause I smoke him) and he goes down they're for anything don't know how to do anything but bare basics....btw like ur sig line

Sabertooth
01-25-2013, 06:12 PM
http://youtu.be/F4iwfs9XkIw

More to cum, should i move this to the diy sec

Sabertooth
01-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Final measurment: Ima leave it befor i do any string twisting just in case stretching does happen ill get about 100 shots in
(All at max)
A2A: 32 1/16
BH: 7 3/8
Measured DW at max was 67.25

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Final measurment: Ima leave it befor i do any string twisting just in case stretching does happen ill get about 100 shots in
(All at max)
A2A: 32 1/16
BH: 7 3/8
Measured DW at max was 67.25

If the string is built well, you should be able to shoot 20 shots and install the peep and it should not move one bit. Then fine tune it and you are good to go!

Hutch:cool:

Sabertooth
01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
pm you already is it a problem if my final dw is reading 67 1/4 at max i rought tied in my peep its tight but allows for adjustments

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Put 5 twists in the cable to bring up the pounds. Check it then do it again if necessary. Oh btw twist from the bottom of the cable.

Sabertooth
01-25-2013, 07:34 PM
ok added 5 twist to cable brought it up to 68.5, increase bh alil decreased a2a alil but it feel great on dl think ill just keep it this way shoot it and see wat happens

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-25-2013, 08:16 PM
If you add any more twists to the cable you will need to take 3 out of the string to the 5 you put in the cable.

wscywabbit
01-25-2013, 09:04 PM
If you add any more twists to the cable you will need to take 3 out of the string to the 5 you put in the cable.

Does that math work on most bows? Or is it just single cams with a split cable? Just curious. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-26-2013, 07:18 AM
No wabbit, he is so close to where he needs to be I suggested that ratio. Here is a link that will better help you to get your answer.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?7950-Draw-length-and-cable-string-twisting&highlight=string+twist+ratio

Sabertooth
01-26-2013, 08:24 AM
when setting specs should the string be on longest peg before measuring?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-26-2013, 08:31 AM
It should be to their specs and your draw length.

Sabertooth
01-26-2013, 09:03 AM
7580 sorry its about the other m company, but they use alot of solos and it made sense thought it might help others to

heres my other vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isq_jBtKOVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G7aASiUboA

bfisher
01-26-2013, 12:10 PM
It makes sense if you have a Mathews. Martin bows have no timing marks on the cam so you have to read between the lines and adapt accordingly.

Sabertooth
01-26-2013, 09:09 PM
I needed a peep adj. and was gonna leave it. I went to take a leak and my mattews bud( bet he wouldnt lemme do it to his) stuck a big screwdriver in it to adj it believe he split a strand here we go again ill check it tommorrow. Arrrrrrg.

elkslayer4x5
01-27-2013, 07:25 AM
I needed a peep adj. and was gonna leave it. I went to take a leak and my mattews bud( bet he wouldnt lemme do it to his) stuck a big screwdriver in it to adj it believe he split a strand here we go again ill check it tommorrow. Arrrrrrg.

Sounds like you may need a new string and a new bud. I'd be POed! I'd also give the bud the bill for the new string! :mad:

Sabertooth
01-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Sounds like you may need a new string and a new bud. I'd be POed! I'd also give the bud the bill for the new string! :mad:

Not the bill next time ima shove a knife in his. Jk couldnt do that. But i left, bad havit of pooping cows

bfisher
01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
That is really sad. You'd think a man that parts with enough money for a Mathews would have more sense---but just the fact that he bought a Mathews kind of speaks for itself.