PDA

View Full Version : Anybody go shed hunting?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Anybody go shed hunting? and how do you go about it?

Hutch:cool:

droppixel
02-03-2013, 07:58 PM
You walk around the woods looking for sheds ? ;)

typically8
02-03-2013, 09:07 PM
The ones with dual doors are dangerous. This one time I was able to sneak up to one at Lowes when the doors swung open and nearly took my hand off.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-04-2013, 03:20 AM
You walk around the woods looking for sheds ? ;)

The ones with dual doors are dangerous. This one time I was able to sneak up to one at Lowes when the doors swung open and nearly took my hand off.

Wise Guys:p

Ehunter
02-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Personally, I'm more into garage hunting than shed hunting. J/k I do shed hunt when I scout for turkey spots. I usually start in late Feb. or early March. The best places I have found for sheds is along fences, creeks, etc. Any place that deer are likely to jump over an obstacle, or have a steep climb or descent. The jolting action will make them drop antlers. Most commonly I'll find sheds within 10 yards either side of said fence/creek. I know of some people that put up 5 gallon buckets of corn, with wire bundles above them to grab the antlers as the deer eat. Me, that's too much work for sheds. lol However, sheds are a GREAT way to find out what deer survived the hunting season in your area. I've found several sheds for deer I didn't even know were in my hunting area. Secondly, I'll follow deer trails to find sheds. Usually find more in the thicker brush than along field edges, but they can drop anywhere. I've found a few sets over the years that just made me wonder what the deer were doing out in the wide open. Found a 170 class full shed out in the middle of a pasture. It was from a deer I had never seen, and never saw. If you do find a single antler, keep looking in that area, as you'll usually find the other half within 40-50 yards. I always do a circular sweep when I find one nice side.

Arrow Splitter
02-04-2013, 07:22 AM
After Dad started this thread I was just waiting for the above responses. LOL:p

A.S

droppixel
02-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Ok serious time. Only been out past few seasons to look and found 2 in my first trip. Didn't manage to find any last year. One was a complete luck of the draw, sitting next to a tree on an old beaten path. Small shed and rodents had gotten to it, so I expect it was maybe a year old. The other I found wasn't too far off a fence and that is where I have focused in the past seasons. Like mentioned above, any where they have to cross or jump is a good place to look. I also have been told to check east and south facing slopes, primary sunning/bedding spots during the winter. Start at the bedding areas if you know where they are and follow the trails they use to get to the food. That is my plan for my next trip, hopefully this coming weekend.

Sonny Thomas
02-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Nope, Hutch. Must be getting old or lazy. Ain't had the steam to make my wife go out looking. (I can type this cause she ain't looking ;) )

Tosi
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Hutch Ck Home-Depot. Got one last week for my riding lawnmower, on sale too!

elkslayer4x5
02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Wear full camo with face paint, use shed calls.

Mike G
02-14-2013, 07:22 PM
I go out antler-shed hunting every spring on public hunting grounds. I'll usually start in late February and then right through May. Once the turkey hunters get out there I try to keep it to mid day. Supposedly what actually causes thier antlers to drop is a drop in thier testosterone levels as the day light hours start to increase in time. This causes some other chemical in thier bodies to start attacking the antler base and errodes it until the antler drops. When the bucks in an area no longer sense any does coming into heat will cause thier testosterone levels to drop. So depending on several different factors, deer densities, hard winters, or even a possible injury can make them drop. As soon as the antler drops it scabs over and the new antlers start to grow, so the earlier they drop the longer they have to grow.

As stated, anywhere they need to jump, ditches, fences, creeks, log piles are good places to look where the deer trails cross. I've found them on private lands in standing and cut corn fields and even alphalfa fields where I've seen deer congregating in spring as the snows melt here near known deer wintering yards. Heavy pine and cedar stands are good places to look where the deer yard up if the snow gets deep.

I started training my Labradoodle to fetch an antler and then hiding it and just telling him to go get the horn. He seems to understand and will go past his ball until he finds the antler. So I am hoping he is going to help find some this year. I found none last year, I blamed it on no snow.

The rodents, squirrels and porcupines around here seem to find them quite quick and will chew them. I have even found one well chewed hanging up in an oak tree.

I just started noticing around here that bucks are dropping thier antlers so I'll need to start getting out there.

Mike