PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out sharp cams and moduals on my nemesis?

nestickslinger
02-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Hey Fellas, Hello again and glad to be here! Hopefully at some point I will be knowledgeable to give others suggestions instead of always receiving. :o I noticed one of the posts talking about filing the moduals and cams smooth, as to protect the servings. Can you please explain how this is done? With a flat file, or something less aggressive like a fingernail file. I am assuming barley just touch up the corners.
Thanks again!:)

droppixel
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Not sure what most use, but I'd opt for a nail file/emery board or start with finer grit sand papers. I have 300-600 that I have touched up my XT module with. Still need to go back to it at some point and touch it up a little more, I know it has a slight ridge on it, but I didn't want to mess with anything after the season started. Now that it is over, it is tinker time.

nestickslinger
02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
That makes sense, start with something less aggressive. Can always sand a little more, but kind of hard to put back! Do you plan on touching up the paint afterwards or not?

droppixel
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
The XT module is anodized aluminum. It's on the inside of the mod, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

daiwateampenn
02-06-2013, 05:44 PM
i used sandpaper, started with 800 sandpapers and smooth it with 1500, and its gives u a very shinny edge, but end of the day, u still need a black sharpie pen to black it out. and it works well for all my bow.

nestickslinger
02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Thank you for the info!
SHARPIE, wow. Why didn't I think of that. Sometimes I overthink things instead of keeping it simple and functional.
And thank you for the advice on the rest, I will check one out.

Phantonza
02-07-2013, 06:00 AM
I started with an "aggressive" tool, a metal file. I didn't just "barely touch the corners" but I really filed the edges round close to the seam of the transition from the cam to the module. During this phase, the module was attached to a bench vice, between two pieces of wood. Moving farther away the module groove, I gradually filed less aggressively so that perhaps after 1,5 inch or so, I just barely touched the corners with a sandpaper for the rest of the groove. And I also finished the filed section with a sandpaper. I haven't done any paintwork since I didn't consider it necessary. Of course, it is a hunting bow and with a bad luck, you could get an instantaneous, revealing sun reflection from the bare metal...

Although recommended by some, I have found no reason to do anything for the cams, but only for the modules.