PDA

View Full Version : 65% letoff on onza 3 experience

rdhj
02-18-2013, 09:19 PM
anyone get their onza down to 65% or 70% let off and have a valley left....i have my module set half an inch longer and then draw stop moved back to get it back to 28", but there is like zero valley....when I move to get some valley, I en up too long at 28 1/4".

wscywabbit
02-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately that's what I found as well. The lower let off leaves you little to no valley at all. Your best bet is to find a happy medium. I believe I ended up around 76% (if I remember right) and was comfortable with the hold weight and the valley.

rdhj
02-18-2013, 09:32 PM
yup, 76% is what I ended up with.....so much for adjustable

Sonny Thomas
02-18-2013, 09:33 PM
I have my mods on my Shadowcat set to what gives me there of 28 1/4", but with the aid of the draw stop. It's below 80% leftoff for sure, but have a bit of a valley that I could still shorten a tad bit more. I don't use the pad used on the limb for the draw stop. This gives a more direct feel, no mush or push back that effects the valley.

I like simple. Any time it seems I try something not by the manual things don't go well.

Too late right now, but tomorrow I'll go to the garage and check my Shadowcat for letoff the way I do it. We had 50 degree weather right before dusk and then the bottom fell out. Winds up high and blowing hard. We thought snow, but it's more ice pellets. Electricity went out for about hour and just before I replied the power came back on. Furnace is running like a wild horse. Whew!

wscywabbit
02-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Sounds like you might have a fun night if the power is already flickerin'. Stay warm ;)

rdhj, if you have a chrono, the best you can do is to play with the settings, see what kind of performace you get with what, and see what feels comfortable for you. To each their own :)

rdhj
02-18-2013, 10:00 PM
don't have a chrono....just learning about this tuning stuff and seeing if I can get the bow to shoot better for me

Sonny Thomas
02-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Checked my Shadowcat. Just a tad over 55 pounds of draw weight and a bit over 12 pounds for letoff....77%. Deceiving is that valley gives the bow the effect of getting out of the hole like a dragster. Set up as is the Shadowcat cranks 281 fps on last check. For ASA 281 fps and 3% for error is max for me, Super Senior. This is with my 30" stabilizer on, so possibly add 2 fps for 283 fps.

rdhj
03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Sonny:

do anymore testing...i actually just bought a 2011 shadowcat and hope to get it ina week or so...want to try to reduce the let off on that too...ended up putting the Onza back the way it came from the factory...have to use my wrist strap release as its too sloppy at 80% let off for the stan thumb release and back tension

bfisher
03-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Just a thought but have you tried setting up for a good valley (maximum letoff) and just pulling harder into the wall? I know from past experience that the best thing is to have 65% cams or modules such as those offered on the Nitrous cams a few years ago, but that isn't an option right now.

rdhj
03-08-2013, 05:15 PM
its not really a pulling harder to get the release off, but more of a problem of the bow holding steady

also, how come they recommend that you not draw the bow without the draw stop when older martin bows had no limb stops

wscywabbit
03-08-2013, 10:34 PM
The older bows may not of had limb stops, but I think the cable stops were more definite. That and the limb stop on these new cams not only set the final draw length, but the amount of let off as well. The older bows were either module or cam specific on both let off and draw length. Besides you want to be careful not to set your limb stop long and then over rotate past the cable stops on these bows; it causes premature cable wear on those pressure points when it rolls past the module limits.