PDA

View Full Version : How dodgy is my string?

Pyro
02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Ok so im getting new string and cable in the next couple weeks but how bad are they

pizzadave
02-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Definitely worn.... but I just see "fuzz" not really broken stranded.... loop looks rough tho

Pyro
02-19-2013, 09:25 PM
So would be sweet as a back up then? Main reasons im doing the string is to teach my self a bit more about my bow. Changeing my rest the other week was the first thing that had changed sence it left the shop and now ive been figureing out the tuneing ect string is next challange

pizzadave
02-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Not a bad idea. If you haven't purchased strings yet.... go through Hutch-n-sons archery on this forum. He makes great strings,makes them fast, and they are a great price!

HawgEnvy
02-20-2013, 06:27 AM

X2 on Hutch's strings.

Sonny Thomas
02-20-2013, 07:45 AM
How old are the strings? How many shots on them? I've strings that have gone over 15,000 shots and still good. One set I know have over 20,000 and still good.

A good waxing every so often will keep the fuzz in control and it's not unusual for strings to fuzz some.

Your loop could stand some waxing or replace, but wax the replacement really good before installing.

Looks like you need the center serving reserved. Gapped outside the knot. Serving looks bunched inside the loop. Brass nock is not needed if loop is tied correctly.

Most all agree that strings should be replaced every two to three years, but this is not totally necessary. I know of strings 4 and 5 years old and still very functional.

Sonny Thomas
02-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Hawg, knot doesn't appear to be tied correctly.

HawgEnvy
02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Hawg, knot doesn't appear to be tied correctly.

Nope it wasnt. I retied after the pic. Good eye lol

droppixel
02-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Give them a good waxing and tie a new loop and you'll be ok. Even if you plan to get a new set, still get a good coat of wax on those and you can keep them for backup. String care is one thing that I think a lot of people overlook. Need to keep up on it and they'll last you a good while.

Pyro
02-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the advice all
General i only wax monthly and use the wifes hair dryer to melt it right in
And as for the age the string would be about a year old tho it dose get alot of use at least 100 arrow fired a day either stress relif after work or for fun on the weekend

Arrow Splitter
02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the advice all
General i only wax monthly and use the wifes hair dryer to melt it right in
And as for the age the string would be about a year old tho it dose get alot of use at least 100 arrow fired a day either stress relif after work or for fun on the weekend
OK, two potential reasons for why your string looks like that. First, because of how much you are shooting you should wax your string once a week. Secondly, a hair dryer probably is a little too much heat for the string. Just wrap paper around the string and rub back and forth. This will melt the wax.

Hope that helps.

A.S

typically8
02-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Wax on, wax off......WAX ON.

Arrow Splitter
02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Wax on, wax off......WAX ON.

Too many movies??? That's your problem.....you should be shooting more.:p J/K

A.S

Pyro
02-21-2013, 04:29 AM
Ah the young grasshoper is learning wax on wax off with paper...
Sounds good only real started useing the dryer after the wife saw it on youtube and she ust to complane about the blisters i would get doing it by hand

typically8
02-21-2013, 06:35 AM
So, can we assume that your handle is Pyro because you caught your sting on fire trying to melt your wax?:confused:

nestickslinger
02-21-2013, 07:56 AM
string really doesn't look to bad. A little wax and, a new d-loop and all is good. Definitely keep it for a back up. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Ah the young grasshoper is learning wax on wax off with paper...
Sounds good only real started useing the dryer after the wife saw it on youtube and she ust to complane about the blisters i would get doing it by handProblem with a hair dryer is strings don't dig the heat! The string materials really don't do well in heat and with heat on them it just breaks down the fibers.

Hutch:cool:

Pyro
02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Cool so whats the best way to clean my string?
Pyro is a nickname from work were i reguly get a good meter and a half of flame comeing off my fish and pastas while i cook

wscywabbit
02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
There are some products out there like the string cleaner (kind of a solvent) by winners choice, but honestly if you just wax your string regularly, and occasionally take some dental floss, wrap it around the string and run it up and down to sheer off excess wax you'll be good.

Oh, and if you don't like using paper to wax with, I take strips of leather, usually cut out of old work gloves and use that to work wax in. It takes the heat from the friction really well. When the weather permits and I'm shooting regularly, I wax about once a week or so.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Here is what some clean with, wabbit is correct a piece of leather or even a leather shoe lace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2pk1CcJEKE

Hutch:cool: