PDA

View Full Version : New guy here

GMan
02-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Hello to the Martin world ! I quit bowhunting about 10 years ago, and still have my Firecat that is over 15 years old. Well, I decided to get back into bowhuntin' and I just bought a new 2012 Cougar FC Pro (60 lb limbs) with the Fury XT cam. Got the bow set up and tuned, and am looking forward to shooting and hunting for spring gobbler. Would the Grim Reaper 100 gr expandables be a good broadhead to lop off a gobblers head @ about 30 yards ? Or, would you recommend a fixed broadhead for head shots ?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Welcome aboard GMan!!!!

Lung Buster
02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!!! I would say if you are going to shoot turkeys strictly head shots I would go with a guillotine type broad head! At 30 yards you are not giving yourself much of a window with an expandable. I use the rocket hammerhead expandables but take a lot of body shots and I have been successful this way.

macflash
02-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Welcome Gman,
from one old Firecat owner to another,
have a little patience, there's some good advice here, never shot turkey, but from what I've seen the expandable have a bigger ... cutting area..
but i believe its expand on contact so unless your shooting with them open , which alleviates the faster speed of them being closed until target, a bigger fixed would be the ticket
Mac

WildWilt15
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Double S
02-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Greetings and welcome to the forum.

wscywabbit
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Welcome to the forum! We are always glad to see new people, even re-treads :)

typically8
02-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Hello new guy. I don't have answer for you, I am only mad at deer.

HawgEnvy
02-20-2013, 08:02 PM
I only kill deer n varmint, but I woud go w a head made for head shootin. Magnus makes one. Dont remember the name though. Bullhead,maybe?

daiwateampenn
02-20-2013, 11:51 PM
welcome to martin forum.

Ehunter
02-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Welcome to the forum. If you are wanting to decapitate turkey, the Magnus Bullhead or Gobble Guillotine is the way to go. If you are just wanting head shots, any broadhead will do the job. Even a field point should kill on a head shot. (Probably illegal though) I'm like LB, and use the Rocket Hammerhead expandables for body shots. I have seldom seen a turkey keep it's head still long enough for me to have much faith in a head shot. I know alot of guys do it on tv, and it looks fun, but I have to wonder how many misses they have before they connect.

elkslayer4x5
02-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the site. I also prefer the body shot, with a bow. Agree with Ehunter, they move their heads too much for it to be a stable target.

gravedigger
02-21-2013, 09:21 AM
welcome to the forum.i dont hunt turky yet so i am no help.but befor decideing on a BH check the DFW and make sure expand BH are allowed,if you choose to go that route.best of luck to you come turky time

Mike G
02-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the site gman.

I use the Rocket Hammerhead 2" cut expandable head for deer and turkey. On turkey I usually go for the point of the wing shoulder. It stops them right there and gives a good window for slight error. It also doesn't ruin a lot of meat. Lopping the head off a turkey would be cool, but I feel lucky to get one chance here to get my turkey in spring.

Mike

GMan
02-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all of the Welcomes !

Since I have never killed (or hunted) a gobbler with a bow, I guess that I should take a body shot and get the first confirmed bow killed bird. If I can accomplish that, then my second attemp will be a head shot. I will look into the Magnus Bullhead and Gobbler guillotine.