PDA

View Full Version : Limb deflection

deserthuntr
02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi. Can anyone please help me with the limb deflection for Barnsdale limbs for a 70# Cougar FC with 2.0 Nitro cams? The limbs on it are 5MP, but I need the deflection to order Barnsdale limbs. I did phone Martin archery but I get the answer machine and it a bit hard leaving a message with all the numbers and all from Africa. I sleep in their working hours ;-) Thanks

wscywabbit
02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I would try calling or emailing Barnesdale to see what you need, Martin probably doesn't have an answer for you since they no longer use Barnesdale limbs...

joelc
02-28-2013, 12:18 PM
I would try calling or emailing Barnesdale to see what you need, Martin probably doesn't have an answer for you since they no longer use Barnesdale limbs...

Correct...we do not have deflection numbers for Barnsdale products.

Ehunter
02-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Probably won't be much help, but I had Barnsdale make limbs for one of my Warthogs. 70# limbs came out to be an 85 deflection. Probably not the same riser geometry as your Cougar though. I ended up having to take a set of Barnsdale limbs off another bow, install them on the Warthog, get it back to spec, then measure the draw weight so they could figure out what deflection it needed for 70#. 70# limbs on my Alien were only 54# on the Warthog.

deserthuntr
02-28-2013, 11:07 PM

I e-mailed Dave Barnsdale all the specs and he said he doesn't have the specs on his database and that I should ask Martin archery. Don't know what to do now. If Martin doesn't know and Barnsdale doesn't know then how the heck should I know?

madman350
03-01-2013, 07:51 AM
are the factory limbs w/ manufacturer warranty shot or dissatisfied with them ? anyhow, these type complications are the ones that make me think that it probably just isnt worth the headache, if barnesdale doesnt know off the top of their head/database that should be a big hint right there.

joelc
03-01-2013, 09:01 AM
I e-mailed Dave Barnsdale all the specs and he said he doesn't have the specs on his database and that I should ask Martin archery. Don't know what to do now. If Martin doesn't know and Barnsdale doesn't know then how the heck should I know?

That makes no sense. How would we know what deflections Barnsdale uses? The Martin deflection for 70 lbs on the Cougar FC Nitro is 5L...which has nothing to do with Barnsdale deflections.

gravedigger
03-01-2013, 10:09 AM
just off the top of my head and i am not sure about this but i think a 115 would get you that 70lbs.now i may be 100% wrong but this is the best i could find

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9604-barnsdale-limb-deflection&highlight=barnsdale+limb

joelc
03-01-2013, 10:43 AM
just off the top of my head and i am not sure about this but i think a 115 would get you that 70lbs.now i may be 100% wrong but this is the best i could find

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?9604-barnsdale-limb-deflection&highlight=barnsdale+limb

115 seemed to work on some models...135 on others. EHunter above said it worked out to a 85 on his Warthog

Ehunter
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm betting on that bow, the only way you are going to get the right limbs is to call Dave, and see if you can send the entire bow in to him. That way he can find a limbset with the right configuration and known deflection, install them, measure draw weight, then calculate what you need from there.

Sidenote, Dave told me that he had NEVER made a set of 85 deflection limbs for a Martin before he made mine. They max out at 72#.

deserthuntr
03-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Guys my feeling is that the bow manufacturer must be the one who must tell me what deflecton the limbs are. 5L is not a deflection number. It is more of a limb classification. How will Dave know what deflection of the limbs are?

As for sending the bow to Dave, that will cost me about $100 as I live in Africa. I can't believe that Martin can't giive me a deflection number, they have used Barnsdale limbs before on the Rytera bows.

wscywabbit
03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
I understand your frustration as you do live so far out there, but Martin hasn't used their limbs in quite a while, and the bows they are producing these days are nothing like the ones they used the limbs on before. Not only the geometry has changed, but the limb length and cam dynamics have changed as well...

joelc
03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Guys my feeling is that the bow manufacturer must be the one who must tell me what deflecton the limbs are. 5L is not a deflection number. It is more of a limb classification. How will Dave know what deflection of the limbs are?

As for sending the bow to Dave, that will cost me about $100 as I live in Africa. I can't believe that Martin can't giive me a deflection number, they have used Barnsdale limbs before on the Rytera bows.

Wrong. 5L is our deflection number. You cannot expect the bow manufacturer to come up with numbers for an aftermarket product. Martin Archery does not have anything to do with Barnsdale production. How would Martin know how Dave determines his numbers?

deserthuntr
03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Wrong. 5L is our deflection number. You cannot expect the bow manufacturer to come up with numbers for an aftermarket product. Martin Archery does not have anything to do with Barnsdale production. How would Martin know how Dave determines his numbers?

Ok, Joel. Will Martin be willing to please send me a set of limbs as I am having trouble with mine? I contacted the South African dealer and they have closed down, not doing any business anymore. Is there any way I can reach you by phone? The ladies who answer the phone can only put me through to the tech guys and I always get the answering machine. Any e-mail that I can use?

joelc
03-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Ok, Joel. Will Martin be willing to please send me a set of limbs as I am having trouble with mine? I contacted the South African dealer and they have closed down, not doing any business anymore. Is there any way I can reach you by phone? The ladies who answer the phone can only put me through to the tech guys and I always get the answering machine. Any e-mail that I can use?

If you call you will almost always get the answering machine because I am on the phone with 150 - 200 people per day. I can be reached via email at joel@martinarchery.com

deserthuntr
03-04-2013, 11:39 AM
If you call you will almost always get the answering machine because I am on the phone with 150 - 200 people per day. I can be reached via email at joel@martinarchery.com

Ok, thanks Joel. Will pop you an e-mail and we'll take it from there.