PDA

View Full Version : Slayer X or Scepter 4

aramkiss
02-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi,

I am new to archery and I am looking to purchase a new bow. I will be using bow for target and 3D shooting. I don't think I will ever get into hunting.

Both above bows are around the same price at my archery shop and speed at this point does not matter to me. Accuracy, easy maintanance and long life of the bow is important to me.

Based on my above conditions which bow would be a good choice? If possible what additional accessories (with brand name) should I buy with the bow when I make my purchase?

Thank you for your help

Andre

flytier17
02-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Absolutely the S4. Is a top-performance X-ring shooter.

Slayer might be better for 3-D, but Nothing beats the Scepter for accuracy.

I assume you have shot these bows, and are pleased with the way they shoot?

flytier17
02-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Spot-Hogg makes great accessories. Heres what I would choose.

Spot-Hogg Infinity arrow rest.

Spot-Hogg Hoggernaut, Spot-Hogg Hogg-It, Spot-Hogg Hunter Hogg-It sight. Depends what class you want to shoot. All are lense compatible, and all are 2nd and 3rd axis completely adjustable. Best sights out there. Also check out sure-loc and Toxonics and Copper John.

I look at Doinker's Quadraflex and Carbon Elite series of stabilizers. Buy hte ones that balance your bow the best.

Easton X10 are the best target arrows going. If you want speed for 3-D, look at the A/C/E, or A/C/C also by Easton.

Robert58
02-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Buy the S4. I shoot a Scepter II with nitrous Cams that I put together. The Slayer is a 3-D, Hunting bow. As you get into Target Archery, 5 Spot, American Round and Field, you will understand why the Scepter 4. The Scepter 4 has a deflexed riser and the Slayer has a radical reflexed riser. A bow with a deflexed riser is much easier to shoot without torqueing the bow. As for a sight I would recommend a moveable sight from Sure-Loc, Toxonics or Copper John. Just make sure that the sight bar has enough travel to allow you to move it down enough for the longer distances involved in Field shooting and the American round. For a scope it gets harder. The diameter of the scope housing is different for what most 3-D shooters need as opposed to a Spot shooter. But a medium diameter scope housing will work for both. A Scope that takes a 1 3/8 diameter lens is what I shoot.

Robert

aramkiss
02-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. I really like the S4. I have done some reading on this bow and it looks pretty good.

I thought you only need to buy a stabilizer if your going hunting. Do you really need it for target shooting? Also does it make a difference if I use a mounted quiver for my arrows or side carrier when I am doing target?

Montalaar
02-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Hey.

I'm a target-shooter (Hunting is simply not allowed here) and every archer has a stabilizer here. It is also useful for target-shooters because it takes off vibration and can help you to keep the bow calm.

Edit. Some mistakes removed.

dbd870
02-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Add my vote for the S4; sweet bow. I'd only opt for the Slayer if you were going to hunt as well.

bfisher
02-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. I really like the S4. I have done some reading on this bow and it looks pretty good.

I thought you only need to buy a stabilizer if your going hunting. Do you really need it for target shooting? Also does it make a difference if I use a mounted quiver for my arrows or side carrier when I am doing target?

Actually a stabilizer is even more important for target work than hunting. Within reason, the longer the stabilizer the better. Spend any time around target shooters and you find most are somewhere between 30 and 42" in length, with 36" being about right.

Most stabilizers used for hunting are short and as such aren't really much good a s stabilizers. They are more for noise and vibration reduction or maybe helping to balance the bow. Anything less than about 10" is absolutely useless as a true stabilizer, but if you plan on shooting bowhunter classes you'll be limited to 12" maximum.

As mentioned, the S4 is the better target shooter. You might even take a look at the new Mystic. If you try to pick up something used then you should look for something with the Nitrous cams or Furious cams, preferrably with the X system on it. If new, I'd still opt for Furious X cams.

For sights a lot depends on what class you'd prefer to shoot in. If open classes then a good target sight like the SureLoc Supreme with a CR Apex or Bullseye scope. There are other choices, too. If you want to shoot a pin sight then Spott Hogg makes some fine sights, with my vote going to the Hogg-It (for value).

For rests I'd go with a blade style such as the Trophy Taker Spring Steel or Brite Site Pro Tuner. Drop aways are nice, but not really necessary for target work. I like to KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Arrows? For dual work such as target and 3D and within some reasonable price range there are probably none better than Easton ACC's. They're pretty rpicey, but only a couple dollars more than top offerings in the all-carbon market. One thing about the ACC's is the coinsistency of spine, something lacking in many all-carbon arrows.

Now here's one very important thing. First thing you want right after the bow is a good set of aftermarket strings---always. Companies like Winner's Choice and Vapor Trail seem to have most of the market, but Backnasty on www.archerytalk makes them just as well at about half the cost. Oh, and don't forget to pick some fancy colors.

What else?

flytier17
02-04-2008, 01:20 PM
bfisher, how about V-bars? I don't know enough about them to advise one way or another.

Just a little note, I too like a proper stabilizer for hunting as well. Hunting stabs do not have to be short. Mine is quite long, and heavy. I also have a v-bar.

I just ordeed my string set from prostring. I went with orange and black string, and chartreuse and black cables.

bfisher
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM
bfisher, how about V-bars? I don't know enough about them to advise one way or another.

Just a little note, I too like a proper stabilizer for hunting as well. Hunting stabs do not have to be short. Mine is quite long, and heavy. I also have a v-bar.

I just ordeed my string set from prostring. I went with orange and black string, and chartreuse and black cables.

V-bars are OK for open classes in 3D or in target archery. I used to use them extensively. What they do best is counterbalance for an extra heavy front stabilizer and add extra mass below the grip area that helps eliminate any yawwing. Also helps just balance the bow in the vertical plane compensating for any added weight of the sight or other gadgets. In short, they help hold the bow vertical and counterbalance front to rear.

If you'll be shooting any IBO or ASA sanctioned shoots it would be wise to check out the regs for each.