PDA

View Full Version : Ghillie suit?

macflash
03-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Has or does, anyone use or have you used a Ghillie suit for hunting/ stalking, thinking about getting one for just such the occasion this year, not much of a tree stand person, ( hurts to much to move after sitting to long) (stupid broke parts):o, I do realize that bow suits are premade with camo cut down on bow arm, and upper chest, so string doesn't catch, I'm wondering if this is the way to go here in the PNW
Mac

elkslayer4x5
03-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Here in the PNW, or at least the parts that I hunt , the understory is so thick, that a full blown Ghille suit will be snagging every other branch, twig, limb, or vine. Favorite Blacktail cover around here is Blackberrys, and here in the lower Willamette Valey, we've got lots of blackberrys. Instead I wear lots of camo, including head and hands, and move slowly.

CaptJJ
03-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Check out the ASAT 3D suit, not a ghillie but effective: http://astacamo.stores.yahoo.net/asat-vanishpro-series.html

Sonny Thomas
03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I've never used one, but have seen them in operation. They work great against differing brush (not sticky stuff), tallish grasses and timer heavily laiden with leaves. My hunting property doesn't like them, too many "wait a minutes" grabbing at it everywhere.

They can be dedected through movement or through carrying a non-camo hunting rifle or that which reflects. Found this poacher right at 400 yards with my 10X50 binoculars. Located I could then find him with the 3X9 power scope on my Hot Rod .30/06. He switched routes and then the stock of his shotgun or rifle stuck out like a sore thumb. All my spotting and locating the Game Wardens lost him. :mad:

macflash
03-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys, gotta check out that site yet , but ES is in the same stuff I'll be in I'm only a couple hours North of him, I didn't think about the snagging while stalking, maybe if I find a good sit and hold spot it would work, ... let me get into Wynoochee and have a look at the area since it's been a couple years
thanks guys
Mac