PDA

View Full Version : noises, string or limbs

macflash
03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
So shot the Firecat for the first time today :D, Bill made the string and it has cat whiskers on it :cool:, trying to set my peep it shoots a little ... high :o. ( yeah missed and hit the tree behind it and bent another arrow:o).it's the '96, with dual Z cams, y cables no tear drop, shoot string is hooked to cam, 55-70 pound limbs backed out evenly 3 turns, limbsaver buttons in the bottom of the gap below cams, I have a distinct, short, "bung", noise. on release. my knocks are a little tight, they need to be pulled off. not tap string, and fall off could this be (please say yes) just needing to file my knocks.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
So shot the Firecat for the first time today :D, Bill made the string and it has cat whiskers on it :cool:, trying to set my peep it shoots a little ... high ( yeah missed and hit the tree behind it and bent another arrow:o).it's the '96, with dual Z cams, y cables no tear drop, shoot string is hooked to cam, 55-70 pound limbs backed out evenly 3 turns, limbsaver buttons in the bottom of the gap below cams, I have a distinct, short, "bung", noise. on release. my knocks are a little tight, they need to be pulled off. not tap string, and fall off could this be (please say yes) just needing to file my knocks.

Hutch:cool:

macflash
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
right on Bill :D thanks :p
Man you do good work, that string draws WAAAYYY smoother than the old one

Spiker
03-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Your cables should cross above the guide rod, not below.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Your cables should cross above the guide rod, not below.

Yep Spiker said it right! above not below!

macflash
03-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Oh man, LOL when I put the string on I didn't pay attention to that, GOOD EYES FELLAS, ( obviously you don't need glasses Hutch, From H.B. post)
thanks Hutch for posting that pic, I will change that tonight. We've got some pretty nasty winds today, gusts above 40 so shooting was out this morn. Do you think that's where my noise is from? and/or should I also sand my knocks?
Mac

wscywabbit
03-20-2013, 04:36 PM
I would suggest you do one thing at a time, then check and see if the noise is gone... just to be sure ;). So change the cable slide around and see what you get.

And, you are right, it is very windy today in the Sound area.

macflash
03-20-2013, 04:51 PM
I would suggest you do one thing at a time, then check and see if the noise is gone... just to be sure ;). So change the cable slide around and see what you get.

And, you are right, it is very windy today in the Sound area.
Hi Wabbit,
will do, on one at a time,
Sittin down here on Renton field, waiting for our plane to finish paint so we can pick it up, Man it's howling down here
Mac

wscywabbit
03-20-2013, 05:38 PM
LOL yep I'm on Mercer Island trying not to get blown out of my bucket truck :). It's actually died down a little bit but it was fun for a bit!

macflash
03-20-2013, 05:55 PM
LOL yep I'm on Mercer Island trying not to get blown out of my bucket truck :). It's actually died down a little bit but it was fun for a bit!
Uh hope your not up in it using your phone to chat like this :p
though we do throw sticks at dangerous animals, sounds like a heck of a ride, I may end up in a snorkel lift tonight, we'll see Lazy B gets pretty cranky when you don't follow the rules :cool:

macflash
04-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Gentlemen,
RESULTS !!
from all of your help, advice, thoughts, and of course craftsmanship, (if it loads correctly), the "bing" is gone, and I have a "slap" of something, thinking fletching is catching my rest, and some minor adjustments, BUT this is the first set of 5 putting the first 2 aluminum in, sighting on it ,and 3 more carbons, the last one went all the way through.
15 yards I'm thinking first pin is set where I need it to be now to start walking back to set the rest of them.
this couldn't have been done without your help, and I cannot thank you enough
Mac

Hutch~n~Son Archery
04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Hope this is where you wanted your pics!

macflash
04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
PERFECT !! thanks a group Bill
I had a little issue (again) trying to load pics :o

HawgEnvy
04-03-2013, 09:20 PM
I think the "slap" you're hearing is from the peep tube. Try pulling it off and taking a couple shots w/o it. Fo it at close range in case your peep twists and you cant see the pins. And maybe try adding limbsavers and a noise reducing stab

typically8
04-04-2013, 12:55 AM
I agree, probably the tubing. If you have some time, order a book from eBay. "Tuning and Silencing your Bowhunting Shooting System" or "On Target for Tuning your Compound Bow" both by Larry Wise. Shoot straight.:)

macflash
04-04-2013, 09:27 PM
great stuff guys thanks,
I thought the buttons below the cams were limbsavers, now I gotta look, and been looking at the stabilizers, that cobra is a heavy chunk of metal, as soon as the rain stops I'll check it without the tube, need to do a little adjust on the slide rail i think it's over to far,
what a feeling though to FINALLY shoot it, been itchin for months !! ;)

macflash
04-05-2013, 07:49 PM
So I tried some things last night (lost an arrow in the process) :mad:. part of my noise was rushing to get shooting and not looking my system over.
the Stab I have is a folding one, a Cobra, and it wasn't tight enough. The peep tube is part of the problem, but not the majority of the noise, I have a quick tune drop away that seems to be smacking the shelf, AND smacking when it pops back up, I tried to let off some tension on it so it doesn't snap back up and ended up stuffing said lost arrow somewhere in my knee high grass :o, now I gotta find it before I get it with the mower. :mad:
Question ?? Do I want the rest to easily move down with forward movement on the arrow,Upon release, not as if i were letting off with arm strength? or should it give a little as I let it down,and the prongs should be adjusted so they don't hit the shelf ? Basically rotate prongs up to clear shelf by micros, and let tension down to let it fall away on shot.. Everyone thoroughly confused :p good!! I am ,LOL

elkslayer4x5
04-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Not sure if a drop away is set up the same as a prong rest, but setting up my QuikTune 3000's, I adjust the tension so that the rest gives slightly at rest with the arrow on it, and come up to full height when I draw.

bfisher
04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
If the drop away is hitting the shelf you could probably raise it up so the forks don't hit. You'll probably have to raise the nocking point, kisser, and peep accordingly. If the arrow is slightly higher than the Berger hole when the rest is up it's not a big deal. Before you go doing this try a patch of moleskin on the shelf where the forks contact it. In fact, it doesn't hurt to do this to the shole shelf in the event that an arrow falls off the rest as you draw.

As for timing the rest? You want the rest to start raising up about 2" before you reach full draw and the rest should be fully raised about 1" before you reach full draw. As for the rest bouncing back up? This could be because it isn't timed right and/or it's hitting the shelf too hard. The moleskin should help with this as it cushions the blow somewhat. You might even try a piece of moleskin on the underside of the forks and trimmed to fit. This would double the cushion effect.

Now, those buttons in the limb forks. They are not Limb Savers as we know limb savers. They are reinforcing bttons to keep the limb forks from splitting. It also helps eliminate limb twist. If you'd like you can install Simms Limb Savers just below them. What they do is reduce vibration going into the limbs, which also finds it's way into the riser. They're not always necessary, but they can't hurt anything.

What else?

macflash
04-06-2013, 10:05 PM
sorry Barry,
not a drop away, it's a spring loaded prong, :o I've been really looking hard at the Apache, so drop away was stuck in my head, BUT If and/or when I get it I'll set it up that way :p though moleskin is next on the list no matter what, And good eye for the buttons, vibe dampers on the limbs are on the list too? ;)
E.S. ,
I'll try that, like i said must've had it to weak, arrow shot into the grass and disappeared, Is the 3000 similar to the quick? I'll U of Google it and see.
I'm getting antsy again, I've ONLY got 5 months to get it set up :eek:, and they days are slipping fast

peace
04-07-2013, 01:19 AM
She looks so good made me pull out my old Black Panther and begin tooling on her to take out shooting shortly.

tvs
04-07-2013, 04:10 AM
She looks so good made me pull out my old Black Panther and begin tooling on her to take out shooting shortly.

look at cable guard it on the wrong side of string common noice on yoke was the little U were the power cable go thur the adjuster check you vanes for contact just have fun and shoot alot

macflash
04-08-2013, 05:07 PM
look at cable guard it on the wrong side of string common noice on yoke was the little U were the power cable go thur the adjuster check you vanes for contact just have fun and shoot alot
Crud,
so the arrow is supposed to pass between cables and the riser? :confused:, oh wait never mind, that was changed in the second photo but you can't see it I couldn't get them over far enough to clear the fletching without the top "y" kissing the cam when I drew. the first picture in the post cables crossed below, now cross above( thanks to the great eyes here), and slide rail is on same side as riser, I've got the prongs set on the quick tune so they don't smack,still need moleskin, first pin good to 25 yards so far, only noise now is the peep tube ... wishing I could get rid of it but I've got the older style " stretchy" material for string so I don't self destruct, and with that comes a little twist, just nature of the beast. but solid shooter. went through 4 layers of chair cushion and buried an arrow in the fence, that should get an animal. anyone know a trick to eliminate peep tube noise, and or peep tube on older bows?
Mac

elkslayer4x5
04-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Crud,
so the arrow is supposed to pass between cables and the riser? :confused:, oh wait never mind, that was changed in the second photo but you can't see it I couldn't get them over far enough to clear the fletching without the top "y" kissing the cam when I drew. the first picture in the post cables crossed below, now cross above( thanks to the great eyes here), and slide rail is on same side as riser, I've got the prongs set on the quick tune so they don't smack,still need moleskin, first pin good to 25 yards so far, only noise now is the peep tube ... wishing I could get rid of it but I've got the older style " stretchy" material for string so I don't self destruct, and with that comes a little twist, just nature of the beast. but solid shooter. went through 4 layers of chair cushion and buried an arrow in the fence, that should get an animal. anyone know a trick to eliminate peep tube noise, and or peep tube on older bows?Mac

An aftermarket custom string :) Contact Hutch.

macflash
04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
An aftermarket custom string :) Contact Hutch.

Oh yessir!! it is a Hutch string !! he did a wonderful job!! fast, great workmanship, outstanding service, I try to tell everyone to go to Hutch,after it was on took me until now to get to shoot it but, string settled in, in about 7-8 shots. EVERYONE GO TO HUTCH FOR STRINGS !!
It's made of the older material, the newer material doesn't give enough ( not as stretchy) and would cause limb self destruction, so there is gonna be some twist, this is according to Bill, just curios if there's any tricks, or maybe try it without it ( the tube) or go to a triple strand type, thinking it may work a little better and not be so bad if it twists rather than a double strand peep
and besides he and his family are a great bunch, fun, honest, humble, though I only know them from here, I'm impressed and glad to have met them, ( even you Brad :p)
Derik

Arrow Splitter
04-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Oh yessir!! it is a Hutch string !! he did a wonderful job!! fast, great workmanship, outstanding service, I try to tell everyone to go to Hutch,after it was on took me until now to get to shoot it but, string settled in, in about 7-8 shots. EVERYONE GO TO HUTCH FOR STRINGS !!
It's made of the older material, the newer material doesn't give enough ( not as stretchy) and would cause limb self destruction, so there is gonna be some twist, this is according to Bill, just curios if there's any tricks, or maybe try it without it ( the tube) or go to a triple strand type, thinking it may work a little better and not be so bad if it twists rather than a double strand peep
and besides he and his family are a great bunch, fun, honest, humble, though I only know them from here, I'm impressed and glad to have met them, ( even you Brad :phttp://www.archerytalk.com/vb/images/smilies/animated/banplease.gif)
DerikOk Derik, if you want me to.....LOL:D

A.S

elkslayer4x5
04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
and besides he and his family are a great bunch, fun, honest, humble, though I only know them from here, I'm impressed and glad to have met them, ( even you Brad :p)
Derik

In that case, I'd remove the tubbing peep and replace it with any regular peep, as soon as your new string has settled. It may turn a bit while drawing, but will be consistant. It also may take some adjusting to get the peep in the proper place, adding or subtracting a twist or two ( maybe more ) until it settles into the proper spot at full draw, but you'll be pleased with the results, and will gain some speed over the old tubed peep. :)

macflash
04-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Ok Derik, if you want me to.....LOL:D

A.S

LMAO , I DID NOT PUT THAT THERE !!! YOU BRAT !!LOL I love this place ! people at work wonder why I have trouble breathing and crying all the time ... laughin'

macflash
04-10-2013, 11:21 PM
In that case, I'd remove the tubbing peep and replace it with any regular peep, as soon as your new string has settled. It may turn a bit while drawing, but will be consistant. It also may take some adjusting to get the peep in the proper place, adding or subtracting a twist or two ( maybe more ) until it settles into the proper spot at full draw, but you'll be pleased with the results, and will gain some speed over the old tubed peep. :)

E.S.
thanks I will give it a shot, anyone have a preference of 2 or 3 thread peeps, and with an A2A of 43 I want the ... lesser degree peep correct?
Bill any thoughts, it's your string my friend, you think she'll stay put?
derik

typically8
04-11-2013, 09:29 PM
A pink Meta. Actually I do like the Meta peep, I chose the pink one so I can see it coming, and make sure its twisting right with out loosing focus beyond the sights.

macflash
04-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Okay,
put moleskin on riser, that helped a bunch took tube off peep, but it seems to float a little, I may try some other .. Aerospace type materials if I can find some lying around to silence that, but that noise went away, I put another turn on the limbs so they are only out 2 turns from full, the only thing I can hear now is the knocks coming off the string and a little vibe in the riser, I have limb savers and a mini s coil with one add on "button" on the way, will let you know how it all goes and what I end up with
thank you for all your help and input
Mac