PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at a knife



Ehunter
03-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Decided to attempt a knife build for my brother's birthday. Wanted to do something different and unique, but still practical. I settled on making a skinner blade with an old Nordic look. (being as we are of German descent) I used S30V Stainless for the blade, and bone jigged to look like stag horn for the handle. The "antiqueing" on the blade as well as the Nordic runes were done with an acid etch. The knife looks kinda "used and simple", but that was the idea. Well, here it is! 78427843

elkslayer4x5
03-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Nice looking blade.

gravedigger
03-21-2013, 10:00 AM
very nice,i like the well used but it is new look.dont feel so bad when you really start useing it.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
03-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Good Job EH, Now you need something to cut with it!!






Hutch:cool:

TEN RING
03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
nice job

wscywabbit
03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
nice knife! Well done :)

Double S
03-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Very nice!.

Arrow Splitter
03-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Sharp job!:D Very nice EH.

A.S

Skbengal
03-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Nice job, EH! What does the inscription say?

Ehunter
03-22-2013, 03:52 AM
Thanks all. It was pretty fun making the knife, but alot of work, even as simple as this one is. Got another one in the works for dad's b-day in Aug. Going to base it on the old "sickle swords" the Mesopotamians used.

SK, in the first pic, that's the name MIKE. In the second, it's the runes for warrior, strength, protection, and harvest. Thought it was fitting for a hunting knife.

macflash
03-24-2013, 08:41 PM
very nice blade !!
s30 is a real good steel for the type of knife you made, once sharpened that'll hold an edge for a while, perfect shape for skinning !!nice fat blade to grab the blade for tight work, VERY IMPRESSIVE !! :cool:

alex
03-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Very well done, Ehunter! The runes are excellent! :) How did you make them?

Ehunter
03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Alex, I used vinyl tape laid out perfectly flat on the blade. NO air bubbles under the tape. Then I cut the design in the tape. Made a dam out of silicone caulking around the design, and filled it with a muriatic acid and peroxide solution. Straight acid doesn't etch well in a bath. Agitated it with a small paint brush. Waited until the solution turned greenish, then emptied and replaced. Kept doing that until I got the depth I wanted. Actually went a bit deeper than I planned with the runes. I didn't keep a close enough eye on the depth. Need to check it with a paperclip or something after every soak. It starts out etching slow, then really takes off.

alex
03-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks! Great job!