PDA

View Full Version : First signs of spring?

Mike G
03-24-2013, 09:27 AM
I saw and heard my first Sandhill Crane of the year.

I can't stand those cranes. I like all nature, but one of the least is those cranes. We have tons of them here spring, summer and fall. They are noisy and cause problems and are a protected bird here.

TEN RING
03-24-2013, 11:11 AM
I saw the weather report 2-4" of snow tonite so much for spring someone need to shoot a ground hog early spring my but

Mike G
03-24-2013, 12:20 PM
I heard they were talking about putting Puxatauny Phil, or however you spell it, on trial and asking for the DEATH PENALTY!

Our ground hog in Wisconsin said 6 more weeks of winter and so far he is spot on ... and to think I wanted to shoot him when he claimed that!

CaptJJ
03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
This is our Spring:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/2785_460037217403104_1454462718_n.jpg

macflash
03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
LOL
Hail, snow, rain, wind,itchy watery red eyes, stuffy nose, .. yep spring is here:p, crazy weather up here for the last 2 weeks
robins, woodpeckers, Bald eagles, chickadees, couple of deer, Bunnies for days in the yard.
I feel the same way about seagulls, needs to be an open season on them
Mac

CaptJJ
03-24-2013, 09:58 PM
These loons returned early this winter or they never left, found them while ice fishing late last month; third one in the background:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/lgsalmon/100_1932_rev2_zps834857ca.jpg

They are related to penguins but normally aren't on the ice, they fly further South.

wscywabbit
03-25-2013, 05:05 PM
yep I had 2" of snow Thursday, Friday was wet and windy, This weekend was the nicest couple of days in months. Supposed to be back to clouds and rain tomorrow...

Sonny Thomas
03-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Spring? Yeah, right. Snow started earlier yesterday and didn't stop until sometime this morning. One station noted 8" and another 10".
I woke to my radio alarm clock and hearing cancelations longer than my leg.

Opened the back door just to shovel the snow off the steps so I could get to the ground. I shoveled off the 4' X 10" black place mat we have in front of the steps and headed for my ATV. I had the snow blade on and just needed gased. It was right where I parked it, but the heavy snow had the limbs on our Cedar tree near touching the ground, my ATV helping support probably what would have been broken limbs. Long pole and some whacking relieved many of the branches I could reach.

Plowed snow for better part of 2 hours without a break. I had to make the first few passes on our drive with the blade up! Yeah, that deep.

I saw a Wanted Poster for the Ground Hog. They want him nailed for fraud.
Also saw a cartoon about out Spring. Man at the window yells to his wife; "Spring is here. Robins are here." Yep, Robins and only their feet sticking up out of the snow.

macflash
03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Just had a juvenile Golden eagle ( had to be just out of spots) hang out in one of the trees yesterday, .... not sure why we have a huge supply of predatory birds this year, out of the 17 I've been there this is the first
Mac

elkslayer4x5
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Just had a juvenile Golden eagle ( had to be just out of spots) hang out in one of the trees yesterday, .... not sure why we have a huge supply of predatory birds this year, out of the 17 I've been there this is the first
Mac

Possibly waiting for you the let the cat out, maybe hunting has been poor for them?

bfisher
03-27-2013, 09:59 AM
I hear a lot of Canada geese flying by.

RT1
03-27-2013, 11:42 AM
going to be high 40's and or low 50's from Wednesday thru the weekend....in michigan

WildWilt15
03-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Time to shoot some 3d do some shed hunting and hit the golf course!

macflash
03-27-2013, 09:25 PM
LOL, nah, both of them are indoor only just for that reason, the crows have gotten into Raven size around here and carry off little bunnies and such. BUT the guy behind me has chickens :D

Mike G
03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Time to shoot some 3d do some shed hunting and hit the golf course!

Do you shoot your bow on the golf course?

I never thought about that, I bet that's good practice shooting those little white balls with the bow. :rolleyes:

You do know that golf rots your brain.
I had a very good friend that used to hunt and fish with me all the time.
Well one year he tells me that he and his wife were going to start golfing so that they would have a common activity, and niether one golfed before. They went out and bought what they needed, clubs and balls and such.
They decided to get some golf lessons because niether had ever golfed before.

About a month later I called him and asked if he wanted to go out fishing on Saturday, the walleyes were really biting good. He said he couldn't because he and his wife were going out golfing.
I thought, OK, I understand sometimes you just have to spend time with your wife.
A couple weeks later after not hearing from him I decided to stop over at his place and I saw his boat in his driveway with a for sale sign on it. I went to his door and asked him about it, he said he was selling it to get money for better golf clubs. He then proceeds to start talking golf with me, like I knew what he was talking about or even cared. I asked if he wanted to head out fishing some day when he wasn't busy golfing. He said he sold his rods and reels. So I asked if he was still planning on going bow hunting come fall, he says he wasn't sure. I stood there shocked!!!! Right in front of me .... I could see by the look in his eyes that golf had rotted out most of his brain. By that fall it had rotted out pretty much what was left and I have never seen him at the archery range or in the woods again......:eek: The worst thing is, I think his wife quit golfing!

Mike

elkslayer4x5
03-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Funny, I quit playing golf everyday to spend more time hunting, and shooting. Right after I had my torn rotator cuff repaired, go figure. :D

bfisher
03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
I have always thought that spring is right around the corner when I go to a 3D shoot and can still feel my bow and release by the time I've shot 4 targets. If today is any indication it's not far off.

WildWilt15
03-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Do you shoot your bow on the golf course?

I never thought about that, I bet that's good practice shooting those little white balls with the bow. :rolleyes:

You do know that golf rots your brain.
I had a very good friend that used to hunt and fish with me all the time.
Well one year he tells me that he and his wife were going to start golfing so that they would have a common activity, and niether one golfed before. They went out and bought what they needed, clubs and balls and such.
They decided to get some golf lessons because niether had ever golfed before.

About a month later I called him and asked if he wanted to go out fishing on Saturday, the walleyes were really biting good. He said he couldn't because he and his wife were going out golfing.
I thought, OK, I understand sometimes you just have to spend time with your wife.
A couple weeks later after not hearing from him I decided to stop over at his place and I saw his boat in his driveway with a for sale sign on it. I went to his door and asked him about it, he said he was selling it to get money for better golf clubs. He then proceeds to start talking golf with me, like I knew what he was talking about or even cared. I asked if he wanted to head out fishing some day when he wasn't busy golfing. He said he sold his rods and reels. So I asked if he was still planning on going bow hunting come fall, he says he wasn't sure. I stood there shocked!!!! Right in front of me .... I could see by the look in his eyes that golf had rotted out most of his brain. By that fall it had rotted out pretty much what was left and I have never seen him at the archery range or in the woods again......:eek: The worst thing is, I think his wife quit golfing!

Mike

Sorry to hear that you lost your friend to golf, it does that to people its my other addiction when I'm not hunting or shooting I'm golfing although I am a lot better at archery then golf it is still fun for me. You should try it sometime you might enjoy it!

Mike G
04-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Sorry to hear that you lost your friend to golf, it does that to people its my other addiction when I'm not hunting or shooting I'm golfing although I am a lot better at archery then golf it is still fun for me. You should try it sometime you might enjoy it!

I golfed when I was young and had a lot of time. I found it to be a very frustrating game. I am much better at archery, skeet, and other shooting. I also love fishing and there are a lot of lakes and rivers around where I live. I barely have time for my addictions now, I certainly don't need another.

Mike