PDA

View Full Version : FEATHERS and the Muzzy Phantoms

bob cooly
03-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Well I fletched some 4" feathers on a 29" Axis 340s with my modified Ariz. jig and some 125grn Phantoms. Truly remarkable to 30 yards, at 40 yards the broadhead fell 6" low. How would you tune this? It's perfect to 30, I don't understand the 40 yard difference. Was hoping to get everything good to 40 and call it good. 2012 Bengal 56lbs.

hgsnpr62
03-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Is the windage fine, just 6" lower on the elevation from 30 to 40 yards? What did your field points do at the same distances? Single or multiple pin sight? I shoot 4" feathers also and they tend to hit a little lower at longer ranges than the same arrow with vanes. More drag, I guess. Not trying to sound trite, but, if it were me using a multi-pin sight, I'd just lower my 40 yard pin a little.

elkslayer4x5
03-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Feathers do have more drag than vanes, thats why feathers stabilize faster than vanes, and will slow your arrow more as the yardage increases. What weight broadhead where you shooting before? Before the feathers, what size vane where you shooting?

Sonny Thomas
03-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Feathers do grab some air, so agree with the others. I haven't shot feathers in some time, but the last I shot were flu-flues and man did they drop past 30 yards, like in the dirt at 35 to 40 yards.

bfisher
03-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Not sure I understand. 6" drop from 30 to 40 would be quite normal if not better than normal. Unless you're saying 6" more drop in comparison to something else. And even at this, as the others have said, feathers produce more drag than the same size vanes.

bob cooly
03-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Maxed bow back out and the 40 yard group did considerably better, if I have to I'll just drop the 40 yard pin to get them in the middle. Can't imagine shooting any thing beyond 40 yards anyway. But I have never shot better than with the 4" Shield Cut feathers,NEVER!

Don B
06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Bob,
If you like feathers, check these out Awesome and you can ajust them for flight.
www.gatorvanes.com
Don.

wscywabbit
07-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Looks good Don! How do you adjust them for flight? I assume trim a little here or there but how do you know where to trim and how much?

Don B
11-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Looks good Don! How do you adjust them for flight? I assume trim a little here or there but how do you know where to trim and how much?

They come 1/2" tall, I cut them down to 3/8" tall.
You can cut them to what ever length you want from 6" to 1" long.
Thats how you would trim them for flight.
Don.

Rockyhud
11-14-2013, 06:54 PM
The website Archery Report had (and still has) a good test report titled "Fletching Review: speed, drop, ease of use and more" that covers this topic nicely, with reviews of several types and brands of fletching. The author concludes that indeed feathers do stabilize faster and are initially faster out of the bow, due to their lighter than plastic vane weight, but they also cause arrows to decelerate faster due to their increased aerodynamic drag. The test report can still be viewed here (http://archeryreport.com/2009/10/fletching-review-speed-drop/). It's a good read and generally well done test.