PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Martin Silencer Pro w/ Fury XT single cam-convert to HybriX?

frankensteel
03-28-2013, 12:18 PM
That's the question- can I install the Hybrix 2.0 cams on this bow, and then use the stock strings and cables that are used on this bow when its equipped with the nitro cams?

wscywabbit
03-28-2013, 01:14 PM
The short answer is yes you can. However, you may need to change limb deflection as well to reach a specific draw weight as the leverage of the cams are different. That, and the cost of replacing the cams is high enough you would probably be better off picking up a good used Silencer with the Nitro cams already on it and be ahead price wise....

HawgEnvy
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
The short answer is yes you can. However, you may need to change limb deflection as well to reach a specific draw weight as the leverage of the cams are different. That, and the cost of replacing the cams is high enough you would probably be better off picking up a good used Silencer with the Nitro cams already on it and be ahead price wise....

The very reason I didn't do it on my '08 Cheetah.

droppixel
03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Not worth the cost it to do it. The cams on their own are expensive and you'd possibly have to get new limbs and you would need a new string set. If you want Hybrix/Nitro cams, just buy the model with the Hybrix/Nitro.

gravedigger
03-28-2013, 04:25 PM

The very reason I didn't do it on my '08 Cheetah.

Not worth the cost it to do it. The cams on their own are expensive and you'd possibly have to get new limbs and you would need a new string set. If you want Hybrix/Nitro cams, just buy the model with the Hybrix/Nitro.

ding,ding,ding.winner winner chicken dinner

joelc
03-28-2013, 05:03 PM
A complete cam set and strings retails at $403...you would likely pay much less at most shops but it would still be significant.

OR...you could find the oldest, most broken, outdated Martin bow from a pawn shop or yard sale for $10-$20...give me a call at 800-541-8902. I can offer you up to $175 trade in credit towards a 2012 Silencer with nitro cams and you'd be looking at a brand new bow for $375 + shipping.

frankensteel
03-28-2013, 06:08 PM
okayyyy.....
I'm convinced-it's not such a good idea.
I'm going to purchase either the silencer or the cougar with nitro cams.
I have an '09 Alien X with the Hybrix 2.0 cams and it just shoots beautifully.
Thanks for the (sobering) info.

droppixel
03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
A complete cam set and strings retails at $403...you would likely pay much less at most shops but it would still be significant.

OR...you could find the oldest, most broken, outdated Martin bow from a pawn shop or yard sale for $10-$20...give me a call at 800-541-8902. I can offer you up to $175 trade in credit towards a 2012 Silencer with nitro cams and you'd be looking at a brand new bow for $375 + shipping.

Really debating this trade in business ... Is $175 a flat rate for all bows or is there a sliding scale of some sort?

joelc
03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Really debating this trade in business ... Is $175 a flat rate for all bows or is there a sliding scale of some sort?

So far it's a minimum of $150-$175...doesn't really matter what bow you trade in. It has more to do with what quantities and models are available, margins, planetary alignment, if I'm in a bad mood, etc.. For an Exile the discount was $150...for the Onza it was about $175. We're pretty much down to Pantera and both cam versions on the Silencer.

DeanRM
03-29-2013, 10:27 AM
What do you guy's do with all the old traded-in bows...sell them to Mathews R&D department?

droppixel
03-29-2013, 11:03 AM
What do you guy's do with all the old traded-in bows...sell them to Mathews R&D department?

Was wondering the same thing ... I think the trade in would be pretty sweet deal. My Dad has an older Cheetah and has expressed some interest in a new bow. Not sure he would do it, but if I had the jing, I'd consider sending my 07 Cheetah in. Wouldn't mind having another bow on hand, but the Onza would be my goal ;)

joelc
03-29-2013, 11:57 AM

In a few cases we will recondition vintage parts so long as they are sound and keep them on-hand just in case anyone needs something. With a limited supply of these older parts it comes in handy. Other parts will be tested for integrity purposes. Much of it is simply recycled.

joelc
03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Was wondering the same thing ... I think the trade in would be pretty sweet deal. My Dad has an older Cheetah and has expressed some interest in a new bow. Not sure he would do it, but if I had the jing, I'd consider sending my 07 Cheetah in. Wouldn't mind having another bow on hand, but the Onza would be my goal ;)

My advice...dont send in anything that is in usable condition...especially if it is less than 10 years old. The Cheetah is still a great bow...no need to send it to the bone pile just yet. Go to pawn shops, craigslist, yard sales, etc. Buy the cheapest, oldest, crustiest relic you can find.

droppixel
03-29-2013, 12:14 PM
My advice...dont send in anything that is in usable condition...especially if it is less than 10 years old. The Cheetah is still a great bow...no need to send it to the bone pile just yet. Go to pawn shops, craigslist, yard sales, etc. Buy the cheapest, oldest, crustiest relic you can find.

Well thanks for being honest! I'll spread the word bird.

joelc
03-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Well thanks for being honest! I'll spread the word bird.

Do it! I've been movin bows like crazy!

mdbowhunter66
03-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Speaking of the Onza - What can some of you owners tell me about this bow that would convince me to buy it ?

wscywabbit
03-29-2013, 04:33 PM
I'd say that for the money, its the best bow in the line up, if you want a dual cam and like a little longer axle to axle. Its fast, quiet, holds steady as a rock. Some don't like the bridged riser, and some prefer a shorter bow. Thats up to you. ;)

HawgEnvy
03-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Isn't the Onza only 33" ata? That's still on my personal "short bow" list. I haven't seen one in a shop to shoot.

wscywabbit
03-29-2013, 05:26 PM
yep, its 33". Long compared to most bows these days lol. I figure its the best of both worlds; not too short, not too long, just right! ;)