PDA

View Full Version : Slippery Grip

Broken Arrow
03-30-2013, 05:24 PM
If covered before I apologize...I have an '06 Bengal with the rubber grip that gets extremely slippery when shooting on warm days. Any ideas what I can use or due to eliminate the problem.
Thanks

HawgEnvy
03-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Athletic tape maybe?

Sonny Thomas
03-30-2013, 06:51 PM
I like a slippery grip. Slippery, the grip slips to where it's supposed to be, where it can't slip any more. Pour oil over the grip, face cream, or butter, if you have your hand to the riser grip properly the bow won't go anywhere but where it should.
Yep, had that done to me. I forget what it was, but it was slippery. I was then told to draw my bow, in not a pleasant way. Scared, you bet, but I drew my bow and it slipped right to where it was supposed to go and held. Never had hand torque issues again with any bow...

Broken Arrow
03-31-2013, 01:06 PM
If that's true, Martin's grip on the Bengal is the best one in the market...

bfisher
03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Sonny is correct. Although many people think they have to hold onto a bow the most consistent and accurate grip is NO GRIP. Using proper hand positioning on the riser is not understood well by most amateurs. Hand position coupled with a grip area that slides into the same position does help eliminate shots that go high or low. Improperly gripping the riser causes torque which usually causes left/right variations. Rubber grips on a bow, although warmer for hunting, are probably the worst kind you can get. Something else, besides butter (LOL), that you can use is unscented talcum powder. Position your hand properly and let the riser slide into the hand wherever the pressure of the bow wants to put it. Learn this and shoot with the hand totally relaxed and accuracy will get better.

Sonny Thomas
03-31-2013, 06:10 PM
Barry, you reminded me of the ole talcum bag! There me was, young pup that I was then, shooting with some Old Timers. Right at hand on their hip were leather bags full of talcum powder. Ever so often their dipped into the bag and powder went all over the grip. These two gentlemen shot the more common Competitive Bowhunter class. This being of heavy tackle for hunting; a compound bow, fingers, no sights and arrows of heavy weight. Come forward a few years (ahem) and I shot with another old timer. Him shooting Bare Bow class with his heavy tackle set up. Sure enough, talcum powder bag.

Of note; Competitive Bow Hunter can shoot in the Bare Bow class, but Bare Bow can not shoot in Competitive Bow Hunters if using that allowed for Bare Bow - no restrictions for stabilizer and draw checks.

Today, I know of only two gentlemen who actually shoot Competitive Heavy tackle, but most all clubs put them in the Bare Bow class. And this being a mistake due to the fact most people don't know they are actually two different classes.

peace
03-31-2013, 07:39 PM
My Seekers have no grip; which is called in the catalog a custom target grip for my Scepter V if and when it gets here. No grip is the best grip.
On the talcum powder, as I have gone back to billiards as my off sport in retirement, I have found no talcum dispensers any more as in the olden days we used talcum to smooth our hands on the pool cue, I can clearly see how that translates in the archery grip.

From Basketball and Tennis in my youth to Archery and Billiards in my retirement, thank God I didn't end up doing golf. :cool:

SMARTEN UP AND MARTIN UP

Broken Arrow
04-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Okay, so what do I do...remove the rubber grip. If so, what should I replace it with...or would it be best to just shoot off the bare riser. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

bfisher
04-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Okay, so what do I do...remove the rubber grip. If so, what should I replace it with...or would it be best to just shoot off the bare riser. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Fair enough question. Me? I'd strip the rubber grip off and clean off any resifual glue. Wear a cotton glove in cold weather, but when it's warm shoot right off the riser. Take a look at the Scepter, ShadowCat, or any of the newer bows with the Saddleback grip. Actually there is no real grip. There is a grip area and it's the riser itself.

This isn't all that uncommon in the archery industry. Many of the top shooters in target and/or 3D remove the grips and shoot right off the riser. My slef? Lately I've just started using an unlined deerskin driving glove when outside.

macflash
04-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Fair enough question. Me? I'd strip the rubber grip off and clean off any resifual glue. Wear a cotton glove in cold weather, but when it's warm shoot right off the riser. Take a look at the Scepter, ShadowCat, or any of the newer bows with the Saddleback grip. Actually there is no real grip. There is a grip area and it's the riser itself.

This isn't all that uncommon in the archery industry. Many of the top shooters in target and/or 3D remove the grips and shoot right off the riser. My slef? Lately I've just started using an unlined deerskin driving glove when outside.

Wow every day I read in these pages adds to the list of thing I need to try. The old Firecat has a pretty bulky wood grip. My hand settles in really nice, but it fills the web of my thumb... it makes me want to grip around it,..so I've gone it to making almost an "okay" sign with my middle finger, to get it to nestle better,... guess I'm gonna try this too, along with the new sight, rest, and getting into fletching my own arrows,. lol sigh you guys are killin me:p

Sonny Thomas
04-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Wow every day I read in these pages adds to the list of thing I need to try. ////// lol sigh you guys are killin me:p

Aaaaa. You love it and you know it ;)

macflash
04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Aaaaa. You love it and you know it ;)
LMAO, thats the bad part Sonny, I do !! I really do!!!,

Pyro
04-05-2013, 06:50 AM
That explanes why i seem to shoot better on cold days as im normal wearing possum fur gloves which are rather slick against most things, tryed driving with them once didnt last till the end of the drive way before i had to take them off...

Sonny Thomas
04-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Archery and being good; Doing everything the same way each and every time. If the hand slips to where it won't slip any more then it's the same each and every time.

Easy test; Hold bow so hand is slightly down from the shelf and deepest part of the riser grip and shoot. Then let the bow slip to where it won't slip any more and shoot. Did the arrow have a different point of impact?

Many years ago some archers so deep in archery would have their hand tattoo so they held the bow the same way each and every time. I've got a picture somewhere. Drastic? Yeah, but I guess it worked.

Side note; Barry probably doesn't come up with trivia like the above so not to tell of his age ;)

Don B
04-05-2013, 09:45 AM
What I did when I got my Shadowcat, dipped my hand in a bucket of water.
Drew the bow back and it found its sweet spot. Now it goes home on every shot.
Don.