PDA

View Full Version : String stops

chihwks35
04-01-2013, 06:54 PM
i have a 2011 exile looking for a new string stop since they dont sell the TRG STS anymore and the pad is shot on it. anyone have any recommendations for one? i like the mathews dead end not sure if that fits my bow though

HawgEnvy
04-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Is your '11 drilled to accept a rear mount sts? Mine isn't, but a friends has a cutout in the riser like the cable guard rod. I've got a limb savers front mount sts on mine.

chihwks35
04-01-2013, 07:46 PM
its got a side cut out that you can slide a stop in and tighten two allen bolts to keep it tight its not threaded

Arrow Splitter
04-01-2013, 07:59 PM
its got a side cut out that you can slide a stop in and tighten two allen bolts to keep it tight its not threaded It should be a 5/16" slot. My sister's 2011 Leopard has a custom STS on it which is a 3/8" rod narrowed to 5/16" on the end and bent to the correct position.

A.S

Sonny Thomas
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Pretty easy to tap and not expensive to buy the tap.

chihwks35
04-01-2013, 08:28 PM
theres not much room to tap it. i think il just search for something that fits in the fitting it already has

HawgEnvy
04-01-2013, 08:45 PM
theres not much room to tap it. i think il just search for something that fits in the fitting it already has

This is what it's supposed to have. http://martinarchery.shptron.com/p/martin-sts-system?pp=12

Mine doesn't have it.

chihwks35
04-01-2013, 08:48 PM
This is what it's supposed to have. http://martinarchery.shptron.com/p/martin-sts-system?pp=12

Mine doesn't have it.

i cant get myself to spend 30 dollars on something that simple

Arrow Splitter
04-02-2013, 06:21 AM
i cant get myself to spend 30 dollars on something that simpleAluminum rod, a rubber tip, and spray paint and those don't even cost half of $30.:cool:

A.S

Sonny Thomas
04-02-2013, 07:41 AM

I had the same thing, had to tap those 2 holes on a Onza III. No problem. Still got the tap. Cost of tap was darn near nothing, 2 or 3 dollars.

That string stop that bolts to the front by the stabilizer - IT SUCKS!

Tosi
04-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I had the same issue on and older pantera, bought a 5/16 rod. Fabercated it; by heating it up with a touch and putting a bend in the rod. Had to cut to size. Painted it black and used electrical tap at the end so the string stop would fit. Under five bucks.

HawgEnvy
04-02-2013, 10:34 AM

It does its job. It just looks like crap. I'm going to put my Exile on a drill press and drill it to accept the 3/8" rod

Arrow Splitter
04-02-2013, 08:03 PM
I had the same issue on and older pantera, bought a 5/16 rod. Fabercated it; by heating it up with a touch and putting a bend in the rod. Had to cut to size. Painted it black and used electrical tap at the end so the string stop would fit. Under five bucks.
Even better for those who don't have access to a metal lathe.:cool:

A.S

Sonny Thomas
04-03-2013, 05:47 AM
I had the same thing, had to tap those 2 holes on a Onza III. No problem. Still got the tap. Cost of tap was darn near nothing, 2 or 3 dollars.

It does its job. It just looks like crap. I'm going to put my Exile on a drill press and drill it to accept the 3/8" rod

Well, the one I worked on was trouble right off the bat. One, the owner's stab didn't have a bolt long enough to get through the mounting hole and into the quick disconnect barrel nut. Two, using a longer arrow rest bolt we got the thing tight, but really had to hold the STS in place until the bolt was dang tight. So the owner left to find a longer bolt for his stabilizer.