PDA

View Full Version : I NOT Confused Anymore!!!

davik
04-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Well...I have been having some "issues" with my Martin Nemesis 35, and today I was vindicated! I have said all along that the smaller S cams were too slow for this bow, and to generate the arrow speed needed, had to be overpounded with draw weight. I thought all was lost, and was about to go back to my Prestige, when I found out I could trade limbs, cams, etc with martin...Today, I received my new cams, limbs, strings and cables for my nemesis. So for all you technocrats, heres what i did. I bottomed the limbs out (63 pounds) with the small cams on...measured the draw length on my Hooter Shooter 25.75" making the AMO draw length 27.5" I weighed my arrow (even though I KNEW the weight was 300 gr) and went upstairs to the chrono...293fps at 63 pounds with a 300 gr arrow at 27.5" draw. I then went back to the shop, tore down and replaced everything except the riser and reset it up at 27.5" draw (measured on the HS at 25.75" bottomed out the limbs and found that they were only at 55 pounds...I took the bow upstairs to the chrono anyway (couldn't wait) and shot my 300 gr arrow through the chrono at 296 fps at 55 pounds! I then backed the limbs out to achieve my competition speed of 284fps...I achieved this at 50 pounds...my conclusion...THE BIG CAMS ARE WAY FASTER THEN THE SMALL CAMS! JUST A fyi...:D

peace
04-03-2013, 07:56 PM
THE BIG CAMS ARE WAY FASTER THEN THE SMALL CAMS! JUST A fyi...:D

Davik, that is pretty common knowledge, just reading through posts on AT you should have gleaned that. I have read that a number of times when cams are compared. Some one in here I believed mentioned that just the other day. Yet it is cool that you have verified that for your self in a real time experiment. :cool:

davik
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Davik, that is pretty common knowledge, just reading through posts on AT you should have gleaned that. I have read that a number of times when cams are compared. Some one in here I believed mentioned that just the other day. Yet it is cool that you have verified that for your self in a real time experiment. :cool:

I have never seen a thread on Archery Talk that discussed this...although I admit I am a dinosaur when it comes to this technology stuff and don't know my way around on these computers very well...I relied on info given to me by people I "trusted" and it was wrong. All that behind me, I am extremely happy about the results...now...I just need to tweak the draw length...as my draw is 27.25" and not 27.5...I put 4 twists in the string, and took 4 out of the cables and am almost there, but would like to put the poundage back in the cables and make a string to accomodate the draw length...how much shorter string should I make to accomodate this change or is there an easier way to do this?

pizzadave
04-03-2013, 09:06 PM
soooooo you're saying that you got NEW 60# limbs from martin.... they were a weaker poundage limb, and somehow you gained 3 fps? I am surprised you gained with less poundage, but I am more surprised that you went through all of that hassle to achieve 3 fps!

Sonny Thomas
04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Davik, glad you got it proven. Kinda nice, 55 pounds and less and smoking down range.

Not too many bow makers with didn't size cams and a bunch of bows to spread them over. Hoyt comes to mind. Hoyt had or still has the smaller cam & 1/2. Most are mounted on longer ata bows.

ArcheryTalk, Bow Tuning and the The Great Deflection Round Up, but you have to know the cams, so lacking knowledge of cam size it's a pain.

Just a sec...checking on names to contact on AT....Buster of Xs knows a bit of Hoyts and cams, usually short and to the point. Nuts&Bolts is great, but sure drags things out (right to the point I'll skip over him sometimes).

davik
04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
soooooo you're saying that you got NEW 60# limbs from martin.... they were a weaker poundage limb, and somehow you gained 3 fps? I am surprised you gained with less poundage, but I am more surprised that you went through all of that hassle to achieve 3 fps!

What I'm saying is that I went through all that to make this bow (rated at 335fps) finally shoot like it should have when i got it...to achieve 284fps with the smaller cams, I had to pull 64 pounds on the small cams...to do the same work on the new cams and limbs, I am pulling only 50 pounds...a substantial difference...and well worth the hassle!;)

pizzadave
04-05-2013, 12:23 PM
You do know that the bow is rated at 335 fps.....70lbs 350 grain arrow and 30" draw length right? You are at a GREAT advantage just by shooting such a short DL..... the momentum created by the extra 4.5" of draw length is why your bow never shot close to specs.... good research, but I feel like you should have expected a huge difference.

polaris754
04-05-2013, 03:23 PM
well, that u were confused , i see u got it straight, dont let it happen again