PDA

View Full Version : FireCat input needed

Sonny Thomas
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
I have person asking of the FireCat 400. He related of hearing the FireCat 400 being troublesome for tuning and he has two FireCat 400s that just won't tune. I understand he has contacted Brandon and Joel and they told of not having a real answer. Bow there and all of us here, it's hard to pin point a problem. I understand a time frame is a issue also, shipping and whatever. I have questions put to him, but slow going is trying this or that and turn around time.

So I have never heard of tuning issues for the FireCat or the FireCat 400. I've never had tuning issues with Martin CatCam bows and they are all CatCams just improved. Personally, I never cared for the FireCat, but all that I tuned shot great....I only had one FireCat 400 to work on and I treated it just like any other Martin. It shot great.

So the question; Has there been issues of trouble tuning the FireCat 400 and what were any corrections or whatever to correct the problem?

Arrow Splitter
04-10-2013, 10:23 AM
I own one, and I haven't noticed any issues.:confused:

A.S

joelc
04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
One of these days I'll be able to fully diagnose tuning/noise/accuracy/speed/timing issues over the phone :rolleyes:

Ehunter
04-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Joel, what kinda tech guy can't diagnose a problem by listening to it over a phone? lol Just teasin ya. lol I get the "It's making a funny sound" comments alot at work as well, and customers just never seem to realise that it can be a multitude of things.

Sonny, I've had both the older Firecats, and the 400, and haven't had any real tuning problems. What's the problem the guy is having with his? One came with the cams slightly out of time, but once fixed, it solved all the problems I had.

Sonny Thomas
04-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Ehunter, the owner is saying it won't paper and ticked off. I'm not getting information that I really want. I mean, if the bow shoots good, and supposedly it is, I wouldn't worry about paper tears.

Sonny Thomas
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Ehunter, the owner is saying it won't paper and ticked off. I'm not getting information that I really want. I mean, if the bow shoots good, and supposedly it is, I wouldn't worry about paper tears.

I'm trying to get arrow make, model and build. I ain't the best, but I can come pretty close to tuning a bow for a tile spade. :eek:

wscywabbit
04-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I've never heard of it having tuning issues either. And I agree with you, if its shooting well, why worry about getting bullet holes? Paper tuning is just one tool of many, and as a matter a fact you can tune a bow to get a bullet hole, and then finish fine tuning it using any of the other tuning methods and it won't shoot bullet holes anymore!

Arrow Splitter
04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
One of these days I'll be able to fully diagnose tuning/noise/accuracy/speed/timing issues over the phone :rolleyes:
Skype or a similiar program should do it.:cool:

A.S

themiddleman
04-10-2013, 05:27 PM
binary hybrid cams are simple to tune. Adjust the timing, adjust draw module, adjust the draw peg. If all that was done correctly and your arrows are spine correctly for that set up and you're not shooting bullet holes through paper then I think you need to look at the shooter.

Ehunter
04-10-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm with wabbit on this one. I don't have a single bow that'll shoot bulletholes. Paper tuning is the first step, not the last. (IF you choose to paper tune). After that, you walk back, french tune, whatever you want to get the final tweaks worked out. That'll always throw your paper tune out of perfect. Broadhead tuning will usually make them even worse. If he's planning on shooting animals with his bow, getting BH and FP's hitting the same spot is what's important. If he's shooting paper animals, then I guess a neat bullethole would look better. Virtually all of my bows have at least a 1/2 to 3/4 inch tear through paper, but will group BH's with FP's out to 70+ yards.
Also thinking that alot of his problems might be form or draw length. Of course, convincing some shooters of that is a nightmare.

Sonny, I wish you the best in helping him, and if I can be of any help, just holler!

SJunior
04-10-2013, 08:05 PM

"Can you hold the phone up to it so I can hear what's wrong with it?"

Sonny Thomas
04-10-2013, 08:54 PM
one of these days i'll be able to fully diagnose tuning/noise/accuracy/speed/timing issues over the phone :rolleyes:

i r......

macflash
04-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Hmmm,
Mine is the older version, but I have dual cams, they are timed perfect, the only thing I get is a little lift from my rest, so I get a little tear on the top. Maybe try the baby powder on it and see if he's getting fletch contact, ... knock point not set exactly where it needs, wrong spine on the shaft? just a few obvious things I've learned from you guys.
Mac

droppixel
04-11-2013, 06:41 AM

Hey ... whenever that day comes you best be getting a beastly raise and an awesomer title than "Superman"

Sonny Thomas
04-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Finally, now says they have a 3/8" nock low setting to even get it close to paper tuning.
Ain't no way sync/timing is correct. Maybe a weak limb, but two bows and both having tuning issues says someone isn't doing something right. Maybe even having a mod not set right and someone twisting cables to make..... I've seen this before. Even heard of changing mod for draw length and not resetting the draw stop.

Trying to get him to send pics. Frustrating is turn around time.

Sonny Thomas
04-11-2013, 07:55 AM

I GOT IT! Set up the bows with some electronic gizmo. Then have one of those phone hookups like for checking heart Pace Makers. Then it'd be like at garages, plug you car into the diagnostic gizmo and Presto; "Cable feeding into bottom cam needs half twist." (Wishful thinking :p )

joelc
04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
"Can you hold the phone up to it so I can hear what's wrong with it?"

You dont even know how many people will call and pluck the string or pull back the bow and say "did you hear that?", "No? Let me shoot it...listen real close"

kmh
04-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Hi guys, I happen to be the owner of the firecat bows that are being discused here and I think that the original question here was misinterpreted. The issue is that with the bow at rest and the arrow square with the string and level with the cable guide during the draw cycle the arrow raises up about 3/4" putting the arrow at a very noticeable angle. If this explanation makes sense and anyone would like to comment on it please feel free.

wscywabbit
04-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Well first things first, welcome to the forum, glad you're here! :)

Secondly, I'm not sure if I follow what what you're saying... are you saying that at rest you ended up with a 3/4" high nock height?, or that the nock travel is 3/4" vertical during the cycle?

I think that the first would indicate an issue, most likely with clearance, and that the second would probably be close to normal, especially given that the nock point is not "center" of the shooting string anyways...

Ehunter
04-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Might sound stupid but I've seen it before. Are you using a drop away rest, and making sure the rest is in the "UP" position at rest when you set the nock heigth? Had a guy set his nock height with the rest in the down position, then got the exact same thing when he drew back, and the rest came up... Other things to check, make sure the mods are in the same settings, both mods are on #3 for instance. Only other things that make sense are cams WAY out of time/synch, or a bad limb.

themiddleman
04-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Hi guys, I happen to be the owner of the firecat bows that are being discused here and I think that the original question here was misinterpreted. The issue is that with the bow at rest and the arrow square with the string and level with the cable guide during the draw cycle the arrow raises up about 3/4" putting the arrow at a very noticeable angle. If this explanation makes sense and anyone would like to comment on it please feel free.

If you could post a few pictures of your bow. one with the bow at rest with an arrow on it and one with the bow it full draw with an arrow on it. Also, maybe a couple pictures of the top and bottom cams looking at the draw modules.I am sure that we can get you fixed up.

TEN RING
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM

could you take some pictures for us with the arrow on the rest then with the bow drawn, feel that you are saying that the arrow pinches up 3/4" at draw ??? or is the arrow pointing down 3/4" at draw?

Sonny Thomas
04-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi guys, I happen to be the owner of the firecat bows that are being discused here and I think that the original question here was misinterpreted. The issue is that with the bow at rest and the arrow square with the string and level with the cable guide(.)? During the draw cycle the arrow raises up about 3/4" putting the arrow at a very noticeable angle. If this explanation makes sense and anyone would like to comment on it please feel free.

I was the one put to question by another person for your bows. So second hand info ain't always good.
And your reply needs puncuation and clarification maybe; "The issue is that with the bow at rest and the arrow square (right angle or zero nock setting) with the string and level with the cable (has nothing to do with nothing) guide (.) ?)
During the draw cycle the arrow raises up about 3/4" putting the arrow at a very noticeable angle."

So the nock of the arrow is raising, field point of arrow pointing down?

I asked and I really didn't get what I wanted other than the string nock setting set to 3/8" low to get a somewhat descent paper tear. I asked for pics and you had already taken the bow.

Dual cam bow;
Both top and bottom mods must be set the same. I've had this before, person changed the bottom mod and didn't change the top mod.

The draw must be backed off, not touching the limb at full draw. I've had this before, person changed the mods and didn't move the draw stop for the change.

Mods correctly positioned, synced/timed correctly, the cables should lay in the mod groove flats at the same time. This should be done with limbs maxed out or backed off equally.

TEN RING
04-12-2013, 04:48 AM
must be pinching the arrow nock with the release are you using a string loop?

wscywabbit
04-12-2013, 04:02 PM
we must have scared him off lol! :p

Sonny Thomas
04-12-2013, 04:07 PM
kmh,
Stay with us. We've been known to help til we drop and get up and go at again.....more than a couple times over.....