PDA

View Full Version : Fox down for the summer

Lung Buster
04-16-2013, 06:54 AM

On my way into work this morning in Ocean City NJ a small shore town here is this guy chilling out by the public dog park like nothing is going on I guess he was waiting for it to open!!!!

elkslayer4x5
04-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Any where nearby that you can set up to call him in for a shot at him? I've had a lot of fun trying to hit his cousin, the Gray fox. Have even had one in my lap, which my hunting partner Bill thought was very funny, while I tried to get my self togather enough to get a shot off. Finally did take a shot at that bold little guy, but missed. Early mornings and dusk were the best times to call for them, and occasionally, you'd get a real suprize when an Owl would swoop in for some of that dying cottontail. Don't know anything about Red fox, have never called them, but the Grays sure are fun. Typically, they would come running in, right to the caller, either a mouth blown call or the new hotness of the day, a Burrum Brothers 8 track electronic caller ( late 60's ) until they could'nt find the rabbit, or you shot at them, then they would circle around you at about 25 yds, barking at you, still believing that there was a dying rabbit there. Never still, and a very small target as they are mostly fur. Finally connected when we climed a tree, and let the fox circle the BB caller. :D

Lung Buster
04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
I would love to but this is smack dab in the middle of town there are summer condo's and rental houses everywhere!

wscywabbit
04-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Nice pics Lungbuster. Foxes are always a cool find. Ocean City huh? The only time I've ever been swimming on the East Coast was in Ocean City, nice little boardwalk they've got :).

Lung Buster
04-17-2013, 07:47 AM
Nice pics Lungbuster. Foxes are always a cool find. Ocean City huh? The only time I've ever been swimming on the East Coast was in Ocean City, nice little boardwalk they've got :).

Not bad what is left of it! Sandy beat it up pretty good but they are repairing! It is a very nice family vacation spot.

Double S
04-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Was he winking at you or is he one eyed?. Looks like he can't see in his right eye. I had one deer like that on trail cam...no return reflection.

Ehunter
04-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Really weird that this post should show up when it did. Sat. night I was headed to the grocery store. Once I got in town, I saw something ahead of me in the street, and couldn't figure out what it was. Got a little closer, and it was a huge white housecat chasing a red fox around on the street. Finally, the fox had enough, and cut across a yard to escape. I have never heard of or seen anything like it. A cat chasing a fox? 1 block away from the busiest street in town, and in the middle of a residential area. Must have a den under someone's porch or garage.

Double S
04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
I was rolling down the main street and saw a Turkey hen running across the road with a little black Kitten chasing her. I don't think the kitty knew exactly what it was. I couldn't stop laughing.

typically8
04-17-2013, 10:00 PM
@ es4x5, it is actually Burnham Brothers from Marble Falls, Texas that made that 8 track contraption. They were the "Duck Commanders" of the 60s but for predator calls. I have one of their mouth calls still in the box. You can also credit them for introducing and popularizing "horn rattling".

elkslayer4x5
04-18-2013, 09:29 AM
@ es4x5, it is actually Burnham Brothers from Marble Falls, Texas that made that 8 track contraption. They were the "Duck Commanders" of the 60s but for predator calls. I have one of their mouth calls still in the box. You can also credit them for introducing and popularizing "horn rattling".

Yeah, thats them, despite the way I spelled their name! Still a big name in predator calling. Bill and I also used their 'Squeeker', a small mouth call that we each wore on lanyards, as we took turn shooting, and squeeking 'em in closer. That 8 track caller really worked great, even though it was in a 10" x 10" x 6" metal box ( approx diamentions ), powered by 8 D cell batteries, and had a 6" powerhorn speaker with a 50' cord. Played a continous dying rabbit squeal, cottentail, and jack rabbit. Sure a lot differnt than the FoxPros that I have now! LOL