PDA

View Full Version : Old warthogs

pollonious
10-08-2005, 05:38 AM
How do the old wooden Warthog models measure up in comparison to the newer bows? Would you reccommend them for a new bowman?

PUG
10-11-2005, 02:30 PM
A Warthog would be a great beginner bow, but comparying them to todays equipment isn't quite fair..The manufacturing techniques and materials are more advanced than they were even 10 years ago, and even more so than they were 20 years ago...Thw Warthog would be great for somebody who is just beginning, but keep in mind the simplicity of the bow and adjust your expectations accordingly..hope this helps!

PUG

fxr1991
10-14-2006, 09:58 AM
I owned a Warthog magnum when they first came out. Very radical cams at that time. Anytime I went the range, where I purchased the bow, the owner would always stack an extra bale up in the lane I was shooting. The Warthog would blow through his bales and into the wall behind them. Very powerful. The down side was the cams were so radical they were to much for the wood laminated limbs and wood risers. Had my limbs replaced twice and the riser finally split. I think they went to a more forgiving cam or wheels. I still liked it and have been looking for another one.

Jeffrey
10-15-2006, 03:16 AM
Hey fxr1991-

Good to hear the story about your Warthog bow. Was the cams on your bow "original equipment"?

The reason I'm asking is, I purchased a Warthog new, way back when...and it has wheels. It was my first bow. Wonder if they made a couple of different Warthogs?

donmo2
06-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I have a warthog, I bought it new when they first came out. It has been under the bed in a hard case for about 105 years, since I had to quit hunting. It is top of the line, burlinga wood and all that sort of thing. I have no idea of the value of this bow, my son's are no longer into hunting and so I don't have a source to hand it down to. Is there a market for these bows in mint condition

alex
06-07-2010, 01:50 AM
I have a warthog, I bought it new when they first came out. It has been under the bed in a hard case for about 105 years, since I had to quit hunting. It is top of the line, burlinga wood and all that sort of thing. I have no idea of the value of this bow, my son's are no longer into hunting and so I don't have a source to hand it down to. Is there a market for these bows in mint condition

Try ArcheryTalk forum :)

ak.hunter
08-18-2010, 06:12 PM
How do the old wooden Warthog models measure up in comparison to the newer bows? Would you reccommend them for a new bowman?

They are great bows for beginners and experts. I disagree that they are beginner bows. They are great for savy hunters that do not need all the mechanical hoopla. They are great shooters, easy to shoot, very quite if set up properly, and you do not need much more than a good arm guard and some good wood arrows with feather and good broadheads to kill anything on the planet. The round wheel bows are he best of the bunch. The cam bows are hell bent loud and will scare the devil off before the arrow get to the animal. Can be bought cheap too!
;)

RLW
08-19-2010, 06:52 AM
Compared to new bows, the old wood riser Warthog has less let-off (30-50% vs 65-80%), wood riser grip feels as big as a rounded off 2x4, and shoots a similar arrow maybe 50-70 fps slower than many new bows. You are more limited on arrow rest choices and with riser not being cut past center shot, it might be a bit picky with tuning/arrow selection at first.

BUT.......it is still a nice shooting bows. (& I personally like the laminated wood look)
A relative of mine still shoots an old round wheel wood riser Warthog, with fingers and no sight. Shoots a +/-540gr aluminum arrow at just over 200fps with 70lb draw weight. (tried a "heavy" 465gr carbon I had and saw 218-220)

I've watched him completely miss a deer inside of 20yds due to deer jumping the string, that a new bow "may" have taken, but then I've also helped pack out and dined on elk he's taken with that bow......all complete blow-thru on broadside shots. He still sees no reason to get a new bow, likes things simple and just keeps shots under 30yds.

FYI: donmo2......this was back when I bought my '96 Firecat, but the local Martin dealer back then offered to swap a new Firecat straight across for my relatives Warthog and he said no thanks.

Destroyer
08-19-2010, 10:13 PM
a new bow "may" have taken

Its always better to shoot at an undisturbed animal. Shooting at an alerted animal, even the fastest bows aren't fast enough some times, amazing critters really. :)

ak.hunter
08-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Quiet, accurate, easy to shoot with fingers, wood arrows work like magic. Great bow for beginner or seasoned hunter who wants to keep it simple. I have two, got them cheap too! The round wheel versions are by far the smoothest and quietest. I have one with the cams if anyone wants it cheap.
:) :rolleyes:

whitetailslayer
11-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I have an old warthog that I fitted with fiber-optic sights and a whisker biscuit and the thing shoots great. My son has a high-dollar Matthews & I out shoot him @ 40 yards with mine. He couldn't believe his eyes. Only thing about the bow that I didn't like was that the cables vibrated together but I solved that with a new guide that holds them apart more. Now if I only had a little more let-off. I noticed what appear to be some alternate axle bores in the wheels & I don't know exactly what they're for & would appreciate some enlightenment on the subject if possible.

Uillceal Gwynlambth
04-19-2014, 12:04 PM

Do you still have that Warthog? Is it all wood? Ui.

elkslayer4x5
04-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by donmo2

This post was made in June of 2010, he may still have it, but does he still read this board? Hope so, good luck!! :D

Barretog
09-30-2014, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=fxr1991;2661]I owned a Warthog magnum when they first came out. Very radical cams at that time. Anytime I went the range, where I purchased the bow, the owner would always stack an extra bale up in the lane I was shooting. The Warthog would blow through his bales and into the wall behind them. Very powerful. The down side was the cams were so radical they were to much for the wood laminated limbs and wood risers. Had my limbs replaced twice and the riser finally split. I think they went to a more forgiving cam or wheels. I still liked it and have been looking for another one.

Hi, Can you send me pictures of your Warthog cams with the cable routing, I am trying to replace my cables, but just doesn't look right. I should of taken pictures before. So can you please do that for me, thanks.

Barretog
09-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Does this bow have cams or wheels? Let me know I am looking for some pictures of Warthog with cams.

Barretog
09-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by donmo2
This post was made in June of 2010, he may still have it, but does he still read this board? Hope so, good luck!! :D

Does this bow have cams or wheels? Let me know I am looking for some pictures of Warthog with cams. Thanks.

elkslayer4x5
09-30-2014, 09:48 AM
I do not know, I only commented on the post being made 4 years ago, and that was back in April. Sorry. :(

Barretog
09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
I trying to get some pictures of a Martin Warthog with the cam type to see the routing of the cables. I attached a picture of the ones on my bow. Thanks.10016