PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Weight

tja
02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
...I have a 2003 Tracer LT. I currently shoot 31" 2219 aluminum shafts with a 100grain broadhead. I am pondering movint to a carbon shaft and a whisker biscuit rest. I shoot 70lbs. I am assuming that a carbon arrow with a 70lb. rating is sufficient. With all of that said, what is the correct total weight of the shaft that I need to configure without a dry-fire effect?

thanks in advance...

tja

bfisher
02-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Minimum should be 350 grains, total arrow weight. Depending on what arrow and components you choose you should easily be able to stay over this minimum.

When you look at carbons you should check each manufacturer's website.
Most have different grades (quality) of arrows and in different gpi (grains per inch). Multiply the gpi by the length of the shaft to get total shaft weight. Then add the weight of insert, point, and fletching to get the total.

One thing to pay attention to is the spine charts. Not all manfacturers number their arrows the same. Easton/Beman is the only one that numbers their shafts according to spine deflection, ie, an arrow marked 400 is a .400 spine deflection (spine). For comparison, if you look at an Easton chrt for aluminum arrows there is a spine deflection to the right of each respective arrow. Maybe if you look at the one for 2219 it will give yousome idea of what spine you'd need.

Carbon Express numbers their arrows backwards in relation to Easton. Weaker spined hafts may be numbered 200, whereas stiffer might be 400.
Same goes for Blackhawk except they add another zero.

Gold Tip is a poular arrow, but be aware that if you intend to shoot 70# then do not shoot any marked 5575. These will be too weak in spine if over about 26". Go ahead and use the ones marked 7595, whether they are Expeditions or XT's. GT also makes Ultralite seies arrows and these are numbered according to spine just like Easton. The exception is the 22 Series which are a larger diameter 22/64", but light and stiff (.300). These just might be the ticket for you. I shoot these for 3D and hunting myself, but in Pro 22 Series.
You can actually get on Gold Tip's website for more info. Click on "products" then"Build your own arrow". This will help you figure out the weight of a finished arrow.

You can get other ideas using interactive charts on www.bowjackson.com and www.huntersfriend.com.

Let me tell you this. Going to a much lighter arrow you're likely to notice more hand shock and noise. Maybe not a lot though. You can expect to pick up a ton of speed.

Any more questions? If so keep them coming. If you have anything specific you can post here or PM me. Wish you the best of luck.

Barry