PDA

View Full Version : How many turns on limb bolts?

OnzaXX
05-02-2013, 09:10 AM
How many turns can I go out on limb bolts for the older Martin bows? I'm working my way up to 80+ lbs on one of my Gen 1 Onzas and I wonder how far down I can start in order to work my way up.

DeanRM
05-02-2013, 10:40 AM
It is usually 5 turns out from max weight. Just watch the barrel nuts that the limb bolts screw through, if you start seeing the end of the screw, turn it back in a half a turn and call it good.

Good luck!

macflash
05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
It's around 3 pounds per turn, equally on both bolts, ( If you turn one turn the other the same amount). Only for a very limited time/ shots, would I go below minimum weight of the bow, Example my 96 Firecat is a 55-70 pound bow. thats 5 turns max on mine .. You "SHOULD" be able to turn them out far enough to drop your strings without a press and still have 4-5 turns in the barrel but put in a vise just in case before trying this. There was one person here who had surgery on his shoulder and shot his turned down 8-10 turns to work back up but again for a very limited time
Mac

OnzaXX
05-03-2013, 06:15 AM
I took the bow to 5 turns out last night, gave me about 70 lbs, perfect to start building up to my end goal weight on the bow of 80-85lbs. I was not sure what the weight would be since this is another frankenbow project. I just need to get my Nitro 1.5s, 65% letoff at that weight isn't much fun.

wscywabbit
05-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Just curious, but why in God's name would you want to pull 80-85 lbs?

OnzaXX
05-03-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm setting up a moose hunt for fall of '14, going to shoot at about 75lbs for that (I know my current rig at 64 lbs will do, but that will go along as my backup bow). I also intend to do a cape buffalo hunt in a few years and would like to be at 80lbs. This isn't my every day bow, I want my shoulders to last.

macflash
05-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I took the bow to 5 turns out last night, gave me about 70 lbs, perfect to start building up to my end goal weight on the bow of 80-85lbs. I was not sure what the weight would be since this is another frankenbow project. I just need to get my Nitro 1.5s, 65% letoff at that weight isn't much fun.

HOLY COW !! 5 turns and DOWN to 70 .... uh ... frankenbow isn't kiddin around, I agree " why in gods name would you want to pull 80-85 pounds"... is this a "because i can" thing??
I'm pretty sure even some of the exotic hunters aren't shooting that high with the speeds of newer bows and the kinetic energy they produce high poundage is kindof a thing of the past
mac

DeanRM
05-07-2013, 07:47 AM
If you are really looking for energy (110+ ft-lbs) for large animals, you may want to consider a different set-up. I helped my brother get ready for a cape buffalo hunt in Africa, we tried different heavy weight bows, tried heavy limbs on an Alien-X, we had issues with risers flexing so much that they were derailing, and had a cam collaspe. He ended up buying a Matthews (yuk) Monster Safari (87#), shooting a 1000gr arrow, and it was the right decision, as that bow is designed from the ground up for the heavy poundage. It is expensive, but so was his $30k trip!

OnzaXX
05-07-2013, 09:47 AM
When I started the build, I was looking for 8H limbs, but could only find 10H limbs, hence the higher poundage. I have it at 4.5 turns out with Z cams, waiting for my nitro 1.5 cams to arrive. It actually draws and holds pretty well, it will be a bit easier once I can get 80% vice the 65% that I'm getting now. Right now, I can draw about 80 lbs while keeping the bow level and down range, just not after 100-200 shots while practicing.

If I recall, this bow was availible in up to 100 lb draw weights back in the 90's

mxtuner1
05-22-2013, 06:06 PM
I used to have an 80 lb bow and I only weighed 163 lbs at the time. It was my only bow and I did not know better so I shot it anyway. My scores sucked, my pride was good, but pulling arrows was a bearcat in itself. Since I'm way smarter now (ask any "older" person), I shoot 62 lbs now and the bow is faster and I don't have to go have shoulder surgery. 80 is too much for anybody to use for any length of time. But it was fun to hand the bow to the "big" guys and watch them herniate trying to scale her back. Hurt shoulders plague archers all over, and I have seen guys that shot 2-3 times a week reduced to giving up our fun sport. I had one guy tell me he hunts elk with 50 lbs and has had nothing but complete pass throughs with proper stalking and shot placement. With big African game, shoot and then run like crazy!

Arrow Splitter
05-22-2013, 07:20 PM
With big African game, shoot and then run like crazy!Or carry a .600 Nitro Express rifle as backup.:cool:

A.S

OnzaXX
05-28-2013, 06:58 AM
I think with some of them, it is shoot and stand really still.

Get my cams this week, looking forward to getting the bow together.

Sonny Thomas
05-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Moose are big, but don't need that kind of draw weight to down. For Africa, you have to stay on top of things as for hunting equipment. Some countries in Africa have a minimum draw weight of 100 pounds for bigger game. More than likely you may also be required to have someone backing you up with a big rifle. If by given hunting accounts, unless really on good terms with the guide, your buff might be a "dead" buff, but PH guides put the finish on them to make dang sure.

If you haven't I'd suggest you contact someone who has gone the really big, big game route. Most don't go into a draw weight building routine until the hunt is established and within a reasonable time of it.

I know at least 3 that have gone the heavy draw weight game trail. One is a owner of a local all-purpose department store with archery departments in all stores. He had a PSE Gorilla of 100 pounds of draw weight. His African hunt over he had the bow re-strung and gave it away to one who could draw it while aiming dead on. Yeah, there is no "sky balling" a bow as movement in Africa may get you dead.

Two others I personally know are something else. Both draw 98 and 102 pounds like I'd draw a rubber band (dang them!). Like you they were after bigger game, Caribou and Moose. Both these shooters have shot entire 40 target 3Ds and finish fresh as a daisy (dang them). And both have had bow failures. Heavy draw weight does take it's toll on the bow and limbs and strings. Finding arrows for these heavy 100 pound bows sometimes is pains taking. The right spine with heavy broadheads giving the most problem.

I do have excess to a dozen super heavy spine arrows, new, never been set up. These carbon arrows just don't flex at all! I think they were said best with 200 gr heads and heavier. Mercy!

I forget who and when, but I watched some hunting show, documentary style. The bow and arrows on-hand were said adequate, but the guide had the hunter fill the aluminum arrows with sand to give "punch."

OnzaXX
05-28-2013, 11:40 AM
This bow only goes up to 85, I'll probably keep it around 75-80 for the time being. I've had quite a few folks tell me 60 is good for moose, so I'll take my whitetail rig as a backup bow. This, if anything, is mostly a project bow for fun. As far as arrows, I'm going to go with .300 FMJs and 125 gr montecs on this bow. I also have 2 other sets of limbs with slightly lower deflections to experiment with. Both of these sets are early to mid '90s with the full bearing pivots and the older deflection markings.

As far as dangerous game setups, each country has its requirements on equipment. I think 100lbs for a bow is overkill for a cape bufallo, as long as the bow is generating 100 ft-lbs of Ke, one should be fine along with a good cut-on-contact head.

TEN RING
05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
early "90's" I was shooting 92 lb, then down to 80 then 70 now 60

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-28-2013, 03:33 PM
early "90's" I was shooting 92 lb, then down to 80 then 70 now 60

Man your getting old!;)
But I have a confession so am I and yes I have a bow that was maxed at 90lbs and I wore out the cables. Then the bow went boom.

Hutch

TEN RING
05-28-2013, 05:25 PM
but I was shooting them with a 400 gr. arrow only way to get 300 fps

TEN RING
05-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Man your getting old!;)
But I have a confession so am I and yes I have a bow that was maxed at 90lbs and I wore out the cables. Then the bow went boom.

Hutch

I walked in to the archery shop one day in the early 90's one of the guy said try that high country so i pull it back he said you are the only one to pull it 116 lb don't know why they even had it there and yes I am get n old I sure I will see a 50 lb bow some where down the line

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-28-2013, 05:47 PM
I bought a used Martin started shooting with my son. Didn't even know the draw weight. When I was in a pro shop I pulled a bow back and nearly punched myself. So I found out that mine at max was 90. Ouch!!

Hutch:cool:

OnzaXX
05-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Finally put the bow together last night, recondoc provided the 1.5 cams. I have it at 5 turns out and it is at 72 lbs. It draws nice and smooth, feels more like 65 lbs. I do need to get a string stop and bent cable guard installed. The stop I have is too short thanks to the increased brace height. I'll get some pictures up in the next few days. It pushes my cheapo 450 gr carbon arrows out pretty well. I'm going to run a few through the chrono tonight to see what I'm getting for speeds. I also have some A/C/Cs in the correct spine, at 368 gr they should scream (I'm only going to shoot a few, I don't like going down to 5 gr/lb for everyday shooting).

Sonny Thomas
05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
As far as dangerous game setups, each country has its requirements on equipment. I think 100lbs for a bow is overkill for a cape bufallo, as long as the bow is generating 100 ft-lbs of Ke, one should be fine along with a good cut-on-contact head.

Caribou, Elk and Moose don't have a history of coming after you and leaving you a wet spot on the ground.
Cape buff run upwards of ton. Ain't nothing over kill for a buff. I like the Capstick (sp?) article I once read; Client; "Why do you carry a .600 Nitro Express?" Capstick; "Because they don't make a .700 Nitro Express."

OnzaXX
05-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Caribou, Elk and Moose don't have a history of coming after you and leaving you a wet spot on the ground.
Cape buff run upwards of ton. Ain't nothing over kill for a buff. I like the Capstick (sp?) article I once read; Client; "Why do you carry a .600 Nitro Express?" Capstick; "Because they don't make a .700 Nitro Express."

I've seen several setups where guys are shooting in the 85lb range with 700-800 gr arrow and having good results. I havn't maxed out my bow yet, but it should max at about 87lbs. It all comes down to shot placement on a big beast like this, and a guy with a big rifle behind you.

According to the backcountry calculator, 560 gr gives max KE at 87lbs, but that is using velocity over mass to produce the KE. I think I want a heavier arrow for more punch for sure.

elkslayer4x5
05-30-2013, 09:48 AM
That "Backcountry" calculator also says that anything over 66ft lbs is enough for Dangerous game, ie Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc. Currently you're at 21 ft lbs more than that! Hit 'em where you should and you'll have a new mount! I think you've got enough for T Rex as it is. :D

mxtuner1
09-21-2014, 06:02 AM
That "Backcountry" calculator also says that anything over 66ft lbs is enough for Dangerous game, ie Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc. Currently you're at 21 ft lbs more than that! Hit 'em where you should and you'll have a new mount! I think you've got enough for T Rex as it is. :D

Or Sasquatch.......(Private joke...he knows!)

OnzaXX
09-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Wow, old thread. I've since dismantled this bow and put 14" vice 16" limbs on it. I have a set of 6H limbs in 14" that will get me close to 95 with this bow, not sure they are going to go on it though. I like it more in the 70lb range, much easier on the shoulders.

I did shoot a deer last fall with the old configuration set at 80lbs, it did some damage. The deer stalled just prior to the shot and I had to hold at full draw for a couple minutes....at that point I wished I had brought along my other bow set at 60lbs.

mxtuner1
10-14-2014, 04:35 AM
You know, it can be said a million times over and over, that old Martin's never die they are rebuilt into something better. The interchangeability of parts cannot be matched by many other manufacturers. Please OnzaXX show us some pic's, especially before and after.