PDA

View Full Version : Cougar is eating string!!!!!

hawkdriver55
05-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Help!!! 2012 Cougar FC Pro with NITRO cams. I have only been shooting this bow for about 3 months now and love it. BUT.....today I noticed the cams are eating the strings up! Is this normal????? Will MARTIN fix this? Whats wrong?

The bow is a tack driver and I hate having to have a new string put on it and setting it up again.

Help!!!!!!

TEN RING
05-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Take the strings off and check for sharp edges a lot of time they are left over from machining take some 220 grit paper and sand them smooth

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Typical problem with cams, mass production is the culprit. Like it has been said that off the string and sand all the edges. Have that string served again. Or replace with better strings.

Hutch:cool:

bob cooly
05-04-2013, 04:34 PM
1. Get ahold of Hutch
2. Fix whatever is eating your string
3. Resevre if you can and keep factory string for a backup
4. Call Hutch when you need a new string
Repeat every 18 months or less and you will be glad you did.
Don't continue to shoot with a damaged string or you might be replacing your bow and require stitches and or and eyepatch. If you think John Wayne looked good with an eyepatch you can ignore the forsaid.

peace
05-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Typical problem with cams, mass production is the culprit. Like it has been said that off the string and sand all the edges. Have that string served again. Or replace with better strings. Hutch:cool:

Ditto,
Inspect your cam grooves with magnification and smooth if necessary. Call your local dealer or Martin and request a replacement set of strings. I'd want a replacement set after only 3 months on a new bow. Was this a new bow, new old stock or used?

hawkdriver55
05-05-2013, 05:27 AM
It was a NEW bow. 2012 Cougar bought at the end of the year as a Christmas present. I didn't get all the stuff setup on it until about 3 months ago. The thing shoots really well. I was surprised to see this happen. I thought there would be a better fit and finnish on MARTIN's pro series bows. Down side is the nearest dealer is 1 and 1/2 hours away. I have a great proshop 15 mintues from home but he is not a dealer for Martin.

Who is the point of contact at Martin that everyone talks about doing just a great job with customer service? Name starts with a "J" and is there a direct office number to this guy?

Dale817
05-05-2013, 07:35 AM
You may be referring to joelc on this forum,you might try sending him a PM

hawkdriver55
05-05-2013, 07:37 AM
You may be referring to joelc on this forum,you might try sending him a PM

Thanks!

hawkdriver55
05-05-2013, 07:42 AM
joelc doesn't take private messages. it was blocked. Looks like a phone call to Martin on monday. Thank you guys in here for your help.

I love this forum!!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Call 1-509-529-2554 and press 3 for Tech Support, or email joel@martinarchery.com. You can't get in touch with him through this forum.

Dale817
05-05-2013, 08:08 AM
I was sure someone would have a contact # for Joel,I need to make a note of that myself.Thanks Hutch

joelc
05-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I can tell you that Martin wont cover string or cable cost after more than 4 months have past. The serving wear and separation look fairly normal.

OnzaXX
05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I have the same type of wear on my servings from the cam to module overlap on the nitro 1.5s. I don't have the wear on the outer track. I apply scorpion venom to mine every 500 shots or so and it seems to have stabilized the wear pattern on the serving. I just keep an eye on it now and continue shooting.

Dale817
05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Probably be a good idea to have a spare set in your bow box(just in case)

hawkdriver55
05-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I can tell you that Martin wont cover string or cable cost after more than 4 months have past. The serving wear and separation look fairly normal.

So are you saying that I am going to have to replace strings every 4 months ...OR are you saying that the bow is safe to shoot and it is suppose to look that way?

wscywabbit
05-06-2013, 02:49 PM
well, its one of those things.... the servings are there to protect the strings from excessive wear. It is safe to shoot as long as the strings are intact. If the actual strings start to fray or snap, its time for a new set. If you do as the others have said, and do a little tlc to the cams/modules you can probably re-serve the existing strings and be fine.

Just so you know, you don't have to send it to a shop to do this either, or have a ton of money tied up in equipment; the Martin line can be torn down and the strings removed with out any tools other than an allen wrench and some patience... just loosen the limb bolts a few turns each side until you can slip the strings off. If you do a search on youtube there are plenty of resources available if you want to learn to re-serve those strings yourself as well, or you can throw a new set on and keep those for backup in case of emergency ;)

joelc
05-06-2013, 03:52 PM
well, its one of those things.... the servings are there to protect the strings from excessive wear. It is safe to shoot as long as the strings are intact. If the actual strings start to fray or snap, its time for a new set. If you do as the others have said, and do a little tlc to the cams/modules you can probably re-serve the existing strings and be fine.

What he said. Any place that the string or cable makes contact with ANYthing you will eventually see wear. Any tight corner that the string wraps around will show signs of serving separation and the serving will show signs of fuzzing where it contacts the string tracks. Unless the serving itself has been cut or the string beneath is damaged the bow is safe to shoot.

macflash
05-06-2013, 09:45 PM
DITTO
great pics !! I can see one of the string eaters in pic 2, even looks like it has a couple teeth, and the dust isn't just dust it's little bits of fluff from your serving, keep that string for backup, call Hutch, get one on the way, 220 will take aluminum fast so brush lightly, I would use a small straw to wrap it around .. say a couple 3 wraps on a spray can straw
Mac

Dale817
05-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Good eye Mac,that groove closest to the axl has the edge rolled up sharp.pretty easy fix

hawkdriver55
05-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Update on the cougar string eater. I backed the limb bolts out and pulled the strings off. They didn't look that bad once I got them off. I could see where they were some sharp edges on the cams. I took a large nail, just bigger in dia' than the groove on the cam. I wrapped the nail with 591 grit sand papper and slowly work the edges down on the cams. Tested the surface of the cam by draging my finger nail over the edges and all of them seemed very smooth. Put the strings back on and turned down the limb bolts. Gave several draws to test her out and everything worked fine.

Hope this solves the problem and gives the strings a long life.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO OFFERED ADVICE.

Hutch, I think I am still going to order a string from you just in case things go "bad" in the middle of the deer season. I don't want to be left with my back up bow for several days while waiting on a string.

bfisher
05-18-2013, 04:04 PM
It's good that you did some "hand machining" on those edges. Probably would have been wise to reserve too. Would have been easier to detect whether you have the problem solved, but that's water over the dam right now. Just keep an eye on them.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Update on the cougar string eater. I backed the limb bolts out and pulled the strings off. They didn't look that bad once I got them off. I could see where they were some sharp edges on the cams. I took a large nail, just bigger in dia' than the groove on the cam. I wrapped the nail with 591 grit sand papper and slowly work the edges down on the cams. Tested the surface of the cam by draging my finger nail over the edges and all of them seemed very smooth. Put the strings back on and turned down the limb bolts. Gave several draws to test her out and everything worked fine.

Hope this solves the problem and gives the strings a long life.

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO OFFERED ADVICE.

Hutch, I think I am still going to order a string from you just in case things go "bad" in the middle of the deer season. I don't want to be left with my back up bow for several days while waiting on a string.I can build you a set but if you want to re-serve those too let me know! They would make a good back up set.