PDA

View Full Version : wrist sling or not?

TEN RING
05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
never used one till a few years ago know it feels wierd shooting a bow with out one

WildWilt15
05-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Absolutely, it is a great way to customize your rig.

bob cooly
05-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Not me, throwing my bow at the Mtn. Lion breathing down my neck is my only option as you cannot carry a sidearm while bow hunting. Wrist sling might get in the way. 125lb cat caught in Lancaster Ca. a few days ago. Just never seen the need.

macflash
05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm torn, th old girl doesnt have one but can only get up to 45 pounds, the firecat came with one and not sure wow I feel about it sometimes it's in the way but only when the limbs were turned down to 55 .. now that I'm up to 65 ish i like it(70 max out 2 turns).
when the bow falls off after the shot I kinda like the assurance I won't drop it, LOl plus I need a new one and wanna give Hutch the business :p

Hutch~n~Son Archery
05-08-2013, 04:43 PM
If a wrist sling is set right the one major thing it does is help you not to torque the bow.

Hutch:cool:

typically8
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Bob, are you hitting the MOUNTAIN dew?I have one, it is real pretty Orange/red BSD special. IMO it just gets in the way though.

macflash
05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
If a wrist sling is set right the one major thing it does is help you not to torque the bow.

Hutch:cool:

Oh ???
maybe mine isn't set correctly ???
MORE INPUT HUTCH !! NEED MORE INPUT !!!
mine just kinda hangs around my wrist, doesn't really have any play in how i hold the bow let alone torque, so I'm pretty sure it isn't set correctly
if you could post some pics of a properly set one I know I would appreciate it ;)

Sonny Thomas
05-08-2013, 06:43 PM
A properly set wrist sling does two things. One, it gives confidence that you won't drop your bow. Two, you won't drop your bow.

Above said, confidence you won't drop your bow negates the want to grab the bow at the shot. You don't want it snug. You want it adjusted just to the point it give a feel that it's there.

Properly adjusted, you can get out of a bow pretty darned fast. You adjust it for the bare hand and then when gloves are required you adjust it for the gloves you use. Pretty simple.

Parallel bows dead in the hand? Yeah, right. I sent on of those parallel bows down range some 3 yards before it hit the concrete floor and it skidded another 3 yards. Try that and see if you don't get the "sick in stomach" feeling.
Brand spanking new and I got lucky. Evidently the thick painted floor prevented any damage as we could not find one hicky anywhere.

Basically, if you're doing it right, you're doing what world class archery coach Terry Wunderle calls, "pulling the bow apart." It isn't and it is. The bow arm is to be strong, holding the bow out there until the arrow hits the target. The release arm is holding into the wall of the bow. The string released all remaining pressure is the strong bow arm. No pressure from holding to the wall the bow arm strength drives forward and so does the bow. Granted, weighted just so, the parallel bow does not "jump" like the older non-parallel bows.

Tosi
05-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I vote yes. Hutch is your pink, got a dollar on it. They help me on form.

typically8
05-08-2013, 08:11 PM
In MY opinion the bubble level on the sight does more to prevent torque then the sling. It is a confidence builder though. When I taught my nephew to shoot it was w/ out one. He did not believe he was not going to drop the bow. It took awhile but he can shoot with out gripping down on the handle.

dzsmith
05-09-2013, 05:37 AM
they look good if you match your string colors or bow accessories, i cant honestly say that i shoot better with one, i often catch myself not even using it.......but they look sweet

Durandal
05-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Not me, throwing my bow at the Mtn. Lion breathing down my neck is my only option as you cannot carry a sidearm while bow hunting. Wrist sling might get in the way. 125lb cat caught in Lancaster Ca. a few days ago. Just never seen the need.

If you are looking for a legal back up to a bow hunting "oops I missed and made my target angry" side arm, might I recomend this. http://www.sogknives.com/outdoor/gear/spirit-knife.html
It can be easily attached to a walking stick and voila, you own personal spear which IMO would give you beter odds than throwing your bow.

Even a good knife would better at that point IMO.

CaptJJ
05-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Sling for me. Really need it for close range shots from a treestand.;)

Sonny Thomas
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Here's one I have on order, but all black with the ivory skulls. Two other skulls are available, transparent white and chrome. I also have on order a black and flo green wrist sling and matching binoculars strap.

Would this be saying I'm a head hunter?

Simple Life
05-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Yup,just don't feel right with out one.

Hey Sonny,nice skulls.I have the chrome ones on my Firecat,but I like the ivory look better.

Tosi
05-09-2013, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=Simple Life;104241]Yup,just don't feel right with out one.

Hey Sonny,nice skulls.I have the chrome ones on my Firecat,but I like the ivory look better.

SL, sweet....

bfisher
05-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Years ago when I shot a lot of field and target I used a finger sling. That's back when bows had more vertical limbs and jumped out of your hand. As time went on I changed to the more conventional wrist slings. In 2010 I got my Alien Z and now have two Alien Nemisis. I was going to get a custom wrist sling, but then thought better of it. I like the sleek lines of the bow itself so, WHY? Being as these parallel limb bows just don't move at the shot I can't see cluttering it up.

If I still hunted I'd probably have one on just for those shots from a treestand, but for target and 3D I'd rather see it kept clean.