PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Vane Offset?

carl365
05-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Found my fletching jig today. Do you recommend putting the vanes on at a slight (1 degree) offset? seems I tried it 20 years ago and remember it was difficult on small diameter carbon shafts.

Carl

Sonny Thomas
05-27-2013, 05:55 PM
20 years ago? Maybe the tiny soda straw type Beman arrow? Carbon Express, Easton, Gold Tip, Victory, Muddy Outdoors and others have outside diameters from .285" to .295". Big difference over the old Bemens.

What jig?

Most all straight clamp jigs can very successfully give a 2 degree offset. Okay, imagine a straight line right down the middle of the arrow shaft. Now, vane bases have 4 corners. Say the back is towards the nock. Place the vane so it's rear right corner touches the line. Then place the front left corner of the vane so it touches the line. Presto! 2 degree offset. I have a drawing from NAP....somewhere....found it.

carl365
05-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the explanation, I have a set of Easton carbons I'd like to re-fletch, it says "Easton PC, 5.4/630, Pultruded Carbon and very small diameter. I have the small Bemans too and these Eastons are slightly smaller as close as I can tell, they are about .218, I can't find my mic. My fletching jig is a BPE.

Carl

Sonny Thomas
05-28-2013, 07:26 AM
I know od the BPE. It should fletch the tiny arrows, but getting much offset may be difficult. I can pretty much fletch a nail thin arrow if I had to, but it'd be a trial and error situation.

carl365
05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
I know od the BPE. It should fletch the tiny arrows, but getting much offset may be difficult. I can pretty much fletch a nail thin arrow if I had to, but it'd be a trial and error situation.

I'll give it another go, perhaps 20 years ago my mind wasn't on the job :rolleyes:
It's amazing what's turning up as I look for my old archery stuff, found several bottles of plastic vanes and nocks in different sizes and colors, even string making materials with a homemade fixture, many spools of serving, huge spools of B-50 Dacron. It's also amazing how much I forgot in all those years....

Sonny Thomas
05-28-2013, 08:19 AM
I'll give it another go, perhaps 20 years ago my mind wasn't on the job :rolleyes:
It's amazing what's turning up as I look for my old archery stuff, found several bottles of plastic vanes and nocks in different sizes and colors, even string making materials with a homemade fixture, many spools of serving, huge spools of B-50 Dacron. It's also amazing how much I forgot in all those years....

Old like that I'd check thoroughly. Dry rot may be present. And one of the reasons I decided to thin out my archery collection of things. Many of my collection items are in great shape, just haven't used in years.