PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Twists on Dacron String?

carl365
06-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I read a Dacron string should not have too many twists because the individual strands will rub against each other and possibly cause wear damage to the string. But they didn't answer the vital question, how many twists would be safe then? what would be too many twists?

I count two twists per 3" on my old Martin Pro-X Firecat.

Thanks!
Carl

Sonny Thomas
06-12-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm no string builder, but messed with twisting cables and strings. Most advise 1 to 1 1/2 twists per inch of length. So it seems your Firecat is close, but short of the norm. I have pushed the norm something on the order of 1 3/4 to 2 twists per inch. I can't say the (bow) string wore any more than usual. In a normal year I shoot something of 15,000 shots and more. With so many shots it's normal for me to change out a set of strings once per year.

Messed up there in bold. Should be 1 twist to every 1 1/2" of string length. Like 60 inches and 45 twists... 1 twist to every 1.3 inch.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I read a Dacron string should not have too many twists because the individual strands will rub against each other and possibly cause wear damage to the string. But they didn't answer the vital question, how many twists would be safe then? what would be too many twists?

I count two twists per 3" on my old Martin Pro-X Firecat.

Thanks!
Carl

General rule of thumb, no less than 10 twists in the whole string no more than 20. Here is a link for you to check it out. http://www.mac.asn.au/string_making.htm

Hutch:cool:

carl365
06-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Another question solved. That's a great rule of thumb Hutch, it fits any length string and thanks for that great site, in full color no less.

Carl

Sonny Thomas
06-12-2013, 05:27 PM
??? Must have missed something. The Pro X Firecat is a modern day compound, not a stick or recurve.

carl365
06-12-2013, 05:43 PM
??? Must have missed something. The Pro X Firecat is a modern day compound, not a stick or recurve.

My Pro-X Firecat is the vintage about 1990 or even before. Has 48" ATA. I have two of them, one has a round cam and the other a slightly more radical cam.

Carl

Sonny Thomas
06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Got cha. Today, when people say, old, 3 years old is old. You really meant, "old" ;)

carl365
06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Got cha. Today, when people say, old, 3 years old is old. You really meant, "old" ;)

I don't know about others but time seems to go by so fast nowadays, I can still clearly see exactly the moment I bought those Firecats, the kind of day it was, and the salesperson (now deceased) even the time. BUT that was 20+ years ago! at this rate, my next awakening will be when I'm 85 years old should I be so lucky.

Carl