PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the STS for my Bengal?

JayC
06-14-2013, 10:01 AM
I've got an '08 Bengal. It doesn't have the STS system on it. A couple weeks ago I accidentally dry fired the bow while adjusting the draw weight. :mad::o After looking over the bow, it looks like the only thing that needs replacing is the slide. I appear to have got off lucky there. The peep sight popped out, and a string leech I put in last year partially came out. I just pulled it out the rest of the way. The string and cable needed replacing anyway, so I'm not worried about that. My bow never came with the STS system. Since I have to take it in, I was wondering if I should order the STS system from Martin (#8897)? If I do I'll order the Easy Teflon Slide (#BP50) while I'm at it. Does the STS quiet down the bow quite a bit? How long does the bumper last?

WildWilt15
06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
I would say no until I picked one up for my 09 cheetah and it made a world of difference. You don't need one but its definitely nice to have.

Arrow Splitter
06-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I've got an '08 Bengal. It doesn't have the STS system on it. A couple weeks ago I accidentally dry fired the bow while adjusting the draw weight. :mad::o After looking over the bow, it looks like the only thing that needs replacing is the slide. I appear to have got off lucky there. The peep sight popped out, and a string leech I put in last year partially came out. I just pulled it out the rest of the way. The string and cable needed replacing anyway, so I'm not worried about that. My bow never came with the STS system. Since I have to take it in, I was wondering if I should order the STS system from Martin (#8897)? If I do I'll order the Easy Teflon Slide (#BP50) while I'm at it. Does the STS quiet down the bow quite a bit? How long does the bumper last?
In my opinion the STS is definitely a benefit. My 07 Jaguar and my 11 Firecat 400 both have an STS, and are both very quiet. The Jaguar doesn't even have string silencers. As far as the life of the bumper itself, I've never seen one wear out.

A.S

TEN RING
06-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Once you you shoot a bow with a sts you will never want to shoot a bow with out one

Arrow Splitter
06-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Once you you shoot a bow with a sts you will never want to shoot a bow with out onex1000:cool:

A.S

droppixel
06-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Once you you shoot a bow with a sts you will never want to shoot a bow with out one

Pretty much true. When I got my Cheetah, wasn't fitted with one, picked up the Limb Saver universal and made a huge difference. It's an easy upgrade to make and if your riser is drilled for a rear mount, it is really easy to do.

JayC
06-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get the STS from Martin. My bow has the hole for the STS, so I'm good to go there.

wick
06-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Along with dampening the string vibration. I believe it also makes the arrow leave the string in a more consistent manner. I made one for my old panther and it was like shooting a totally different bow. made it with an old cable rod that was angled and picked up a bumper from the local shop. Works great.

bfisher
06-18-2013, 11:12 AM
If you can justify the cost I'd recommend getting the new Carbon Stealth (part #8814). I replaced the original one (part #8812)on my 2012 Nemisis and it made a world of difference, More quiet and a different tone. I also have a 2011 Nemisis with the original STS and there is marked difference between the two bows

dzsmith2
06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Pretty much true. When I got my Cheetah, wasn't fitted with one, picked up the Limb Saver universal and made a huge difference. It's an easy upgrade to make and if your riser is drilled for a rear mount, it is really easy to do.

I did the same when i used to have an exile. I had to mount a front mounted limb saver one, because it had no rear drilled hole. Worked great though

HawgEnvy
06-19-2013, 04:49 PM
I did the same when i used to have an exile. I had to mount a front mounted limb saver one, because it had no rear drilled hole. Worked great though

It still has the front mount until I get a few extra minutes to drill and and tap it for a rear mount. I move it away from the string and shot it and it actually seems quieter to me w/o it. But since my POI changed, I put it back.

dzsmith2
06-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Oh they aren't necessarily quieter , I know it allows you arrows to leave the string sooner, and reduces arm slap.