PDA

View Full Version : Got new arrows

Don B
06-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Hey guys,
I found a new to me arrow company..http://deercrossingarchery.com/
I got a doz. of the Target shafts, they are the same as the old Harvest Time HT-3's.
They fly just the same which is what I was hoping for as I am almost out of my HT-3's.
They take the Fat Boy inserts and points.
Check them out, great prices for sure.
Don.

droppixel
06-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Nice find, prices look hard to beat. Been looking around at a possible arrow change, might give these a look.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Good prices arrow looks good! How long have they been in business?

Hutch:cool:

otisT
06-22-2013, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpw39fBsljA

Sorry, but I do watch this guy and a couple others.... {:>)

Sonny Thomas
06-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Ole Bart has been around the block. First, Victories, then his Harvest Time Archery, then when Muddy Outdoors when he sold HTA to them and now Deer Crossing. He says this arrow company he will keep.

I had his HTA HT3s, still have a 9. 3 got broke and one dozen of them proved so far out I trashed them. Just cut them in pieces. These were new arrows, but sold under HTA and Muddy Outdoors didn't have to warranty them. These were .001" for straightness and checked as much out as .012" out. Mad, I just junked them.

I then bought Muddy Outdoors HT3 Virtues, which are better looking and fly exactly with the HTA HT3.
Now, Muddy Outdoors has fully broken with Bart and list their arrows as Blood Sports.

Initially, Bart flung out a "feeler" for really inexpensive arrows per dozen. He was then sort of absent from the scene. He then re-appeared just about two months ago with his new line, Deer Crossing.
I have thought about trying his arrows, but 33 HT3s should last me for a little while....

All the near same arrows; So DCA Target arrows run about $70. MO 3 spine, $119 and CE CXL Pros, $160. Heck of a price range difference.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpw39fBsljA

Sorry, but I do watch this guy and a couple others.... {:>)

Kinda hard to argue with that review!

Hutch

Don B
06-22-2013, 06:06 PM
You really can't beat them for the price.
Something that I did notice is the the layup of the carbon is differant on these than what was the HT-3 shafts.
On the HT shafts you can see that the carbon is circular around the shaft and this new line of shafts the carbon is more of a uni (lenght wise)layup on the outside.
When I cut them down to length I took one of the cutoffs and tore it all apart to check it out.
Nice layup from what I could see, the inside the carbon goes lengthwise the a layer going circular then lengthwise.
I did brake 2 arrows Friday, one I hit the target pin and blew the end of the shaft up and snapped the other in 3 pieces, sent it through the bands holding the bails togeather.
Overall I am happy with these new shafts for now.
Don.

otisT
06-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Sonny;
I finally managed to break a couple nocks; probably dropped something on them, and they DID NOT HAVE VIBRAKES !! No wonder I can't hit anything!! The Insert Iron is curing nicely, though. {:>)

o

Sonny Thomas
06-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Sonny;
I finally managed to break a couple nocks; probably dropped something on them, and they DID NOT HAVE VIBRAKES !! No wonder I can't hit anything!! The Insert Iron is curing nicely, though. {:>)

o

Okay, I'll believe you dropped something on the nocks and broke them. I ain't hard to get along with ;)

Vibrakes! Lord! When are you kids gonna learn?

I ain't saying Insert Iron isn't good, but I gave away the 2 bottles I had. Good thing is, though, they were given to me to try. So I didn't lose anything.

otisT
06-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I just bought it on the name, beings I wanted some glue to put in inserts, but the curing time on the label of Insert Iron is a riot! I can see it now;

"Dear ID F&G, got me some new arrows for the upcoming bow season and put the inserts in with Insert Iron. Could you possibly put off opening day a week or so while they cure?"

Sonny did backhandedly bring up a complex point; how do we know? My first bow was a Browning. I was sure there were better out there but the makers, I didn't know from Adam. PSE, Martin, Hoyt and all the other names meant nothing to me BUT, at that time, I KNEW if it had the Browning name on it, it would be good; probably not the best but it would be good.

Arrows; the vast, vast majority of us have no way of verifying the manufacturer's claims of straightness, let alone spine or structural integrity. We might have a scale and weigh them, but that is least important. Pertains to most everything we buy, doesn't it? Good and bad; the assurance of quality, that 'name', costs and a great new company might struggle more because they don't have that 'name', reputation, backing them up. It keeps the 'brand name' companies honest too. They dare not let down on their quality control, customer service, ect. or it gets around quick, more so in this computer age, and that NAME can be hurt quickly; far more quickly than it was built up. I hope this company makes great arrows at great prices, but I have no way of knowing.

Don B
06-26-2013, 12:11 PM
All I use is Insert Iron,
I glue in what ever, nock inserts or points at night and shoot em the next day.
I have never had any problems with it.
Don.

otisT
06-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Oh, gosh, no, Don. I'm very much pleased with the product; Insert Iron. Bought it to put in inserts, put in inserts with it and they are still in. It did it's job. It's just that, a while back, Sonny gave me a few chuckles about it's curing time and I was just jesting back a bit, as I was kidding him about the vibrakes on my Bemans. I, in no way, intended to demean the product. Just pulling Sonny's leg a little!... o

Tosi
06-27-2013, 07:57 AM
I just ordered a dozen (300) and had them cut to 28.5. Once I get them set up I hope to be around 400g and will test from there. I currently shoot Easton Axis 340 and I'm very impressed with the flight and penetration I get from theses arrow. The Axis does come with a price of about $110 per dozen or the same arrow in Beaman MFX for around $99. I hope to have them in the next few days and will test on accuracy, speed and how tough they are on ply-wood and a 55 gallon drum. I'll get the most out of them I promise. I'll get back to you all soon.

Sonny Thomas
06-27-2013, 08:07 AM
And the reason I don't use Insert Iron glue is the drying time. For inserts and carbon arrows I use three different glues. Bohning Quantum XT, Pine Ridge and Easton Quick Hit. Quantum and Pine Ridge are glues that allow you to shoot within seconds. Quick Hit is recommended to let set for 15 minutes.
For aluminum I use Easton's hot glue.

And then customers seem to always ask; How long before I can shoot? Well, I have the answer that pleases them; "Right now."

Same with fletching. I'm partial to Bohning Platinum, but then I have the Platinum of some 5 years back. My supply is almost used up (we bought a case, however many tubes are in a case). With the older Platinum I've been known, and do now, to shoot newly fletched arrows right out of the jig, but more like 5 minutes. From what I've been reading the newer Platinum isn't so good, but I'd have to try it myself before saying it isn't as good as the older Platinum......

And when fletching arrows for customers all I ask is for them not lay down their arrows so the vanes are flatten. The glue holds for shooting, but is not completely cured.
If I have a arrow box I will give them the box with the arrows set in a separater, either those by Carbon Express, Victory or the ones you can buy (only hold 6 arrows).

Tosi
07-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Received the Deer Crossing Hunters with the 300 spine and cut @ 28.5". Set then up with white wrap and Norway (Neon Fusion's) and came with 100g field tip. Total weight range was 398g to 403g on all 12 arrows after set up. Chrono speeds were 299fps for the avg. I was shooting a Mathews Z7 Mag set @ 70lbs, 29" draw. Also avg 287fps with my Fire Cat 400 set @ 70lbs with 8190 strings and 452x cables with the same arrows. Shot them from 20-75 yards with about an 8mph oblique wind. I really did like them; they did shoot some good groups for shooting in the wind and didn't really have any kick out with the wind. I'm going to shoot them at a 55 gal drum and some particle board this weekend to see how the hold up. They shipped in just a few day. So far so good.

Don B
07-09-2013, 12:31 PM
I did some more setting up on my equipment, got my bow back to where it's suppose to be, 57 pounds.
My DCA Target shafts weight in at 291-292 grains finished and ready to shoot. They are cut at 28-3/4" carbon to carbon and are flying between 280-285 fps.
I can tel you these are better than Barts old HT line of shafts. I brought 1/2 doz. shafts that were not built and gave them to the test dept. They did some testing with them, they are all right at .002-.003
straight. and .1-.2 grains of eash other.
I have been shooting my tightest groups with these shafts,ever.
Don.

Tosi
07-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I did some more setting up on my equipment, got my bow back to where it's suppose to be, 57 pounds.
My DCA Target shafts weight in at 291-292 grains finished and ready to shoot. They are cut at 28-3/4" carbon to carbon and are flying between 280-285 fps.
I can tel you these are better than Barts old HT line of shafts. I brought 1/2 doz. shafts that were not built and gave them to the test dept. They did some testing with them, they are all right at .002-.003
straight. and .1-.2 grains of eash other.
I have been shooting my tightest groups with these shafts,ever.
Don.

Don I agree, I'v shot some really good groups. will shoot hard targets this weekend.