PDA

View Full Version : Center Serving

bfisher
06-26-2013, 02:48 PM
I finally wore out the serving on the strings I got from Hutch. Strings are still good but the center serving began slowly sliding up about 1/16" over a week of shooting. Therefore I replaced it the other evening. I used .021 serving, just plain old braided fastflight. Installed a tied on nocking point. Nock fit was near as perfect (I'm really picky) as I could get it, but I ended up with a problem. The nocks were loser than before and while shooting 20 yards my arrows hit about
20" higher than before.

OK so I check it and the nocking point was 1/16" lower than before. The effect is that the arrow is pointed up a bit more and the peep height is effectively 1/16" higher also. No wonder I hit high. So, for that little bit I just moved the rest down, got nearly perfect bare shaft flight out to 20 yards (finally) and am happy about that. Now the POI is only 6" high. I got an idea why but want to see who all can come up with what happened.

Now just for more info I shoot off the string and use one tied on nocking point at the top of the nock. Release butts up against the bottom of the nock. Now see who can figure it out.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-26-2013, 06:36 PM
To note on the center serving, I run a tag end the whole length of the center serving for one reason. You shoot a 20 strand string. Thus it would need .023 center serving and running a tag end is equivalent. A loose nock could possibility allow the nock to move when you draw. Also if the nocks are looser the arrow has less resistance and will fly faster thus higher impact.

Hutch:cool: