PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Archery 3D

Sonny Thomas
06-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Got lucky and got in another 3D, but I still got wet. Dang rain! Overcast, new out targets and whatever I still managed a 382/400 and was in 1st when I left. BDA had 65 shooters taday, Saturday, and have Sunday yet to shoot.

I R pooped....eye lids wanting hard to call it a day.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
06-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Sonny, you going in your swimming trunks?

Hutch:cool:

Double S
06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Nice shooting!.

Sonny Thomas
06-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Sonny, you going in your swimming trunks?
Hutch:cool:

It's probably something to consider. 5 times I've been rained out this year. This 3D was different. We made it like to target 28 when the rain hit. The four of us were in the wooded section and quickly found a trees to get up against. So we only got about half wet. The rain let up to a sprinkle every now and then so we continued on. Water drops on a lens is not conductive of accurate shooting, but I got lucky and drilled a turkey. Found a paper towel in my fanny pouch, dried off my lens and then on to "kill" targets without mercy.
Last target, a Rinehart walking black bear. Just got to full draw when a clap of thunder came right over our heads. We all jumped and I was dang lucky I didn't fire. We all 10ed out and just as we got to the Concession pavillion the sky opened up. Surely you seen it, walls of rain? Well rain came in walls big time. Just straight down, no wind to speak of. Got home and there was this dang yellow ball in the sky and it got warm. Weird....

Nice shooting!.

Thank you, sir.

Forgot. No Seniors signed up so I opted for the Adult FS (Unlimited) class. Yeah, me picking on the "pups."
And I wasn't the only one picking on the younger generations. Long time known Traditional shooter Don Owens, 67 years old, turned in a monster score for the Adult Traditional Class. The man is phenomenal.

Don B
06-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Good shooting Sonny,
I wish it was ranning here. It was about 110 here today.
Don.

Sonny Thomas
06-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Black Diamond Archery just finished up their event weekend. 189 contestants shot their 40 target 3D. Based approx 30 miles west of Peoria, BDA drew shooters from all over; Joliet, Springfield, Pekin, Peoria, Bloomington, Macomb Monmouth, Chillicothe, and 4 contestants came from the state of Iowa.

Black Diamond is probably the highest drawing 3D club around our area. For the past 3 years it's averaged 144 shooters per event and 7 events per year. Always has 40 targets and entry fee for Adults is $10.00. Young Adult and Youth are half fees and kids 11 and under shoot free. Every event is a Trophy event for all classes, even kids who don't pay.

We have Concessions which has just about everything; soda pop, hot dogs, brats, polish, pickles of different kinds (can be purchased by the jar) and coffee is free. We also have free donuts and peanuts while the weekend supply lasts.

I joined in 1999 and membership fee is still the same, $25.00 per family. This give the combination to the gate, free use of the practice and 3D bag range and if a person wanted they could have a family together.
Members may bring in non-members once for a introductory. Membership is required should they come a second time.

We have a practice range consisting of 11 target butt, 10 yards thru 60 yards. We have a short 3D bag course of some 21 targets up year round. There are 3 all steel walk up platforms. There are picnic tables scattered about the course and as well as 2 or 3 under each of the two pavillions.

These pictures were from last year or the year before. The target butts have been upgraded a bit more.
The trophies, girls and boys; 1st place stands 17 inches tall. And you have choice of archer or big mule deer for the top.

Basically, if you can't get your money's worth here you can't get it anywhere.

Sonny Thomas
07-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Another 2nd! Got the scores just recently. I R stuck in 2nd gear! Just unbelievable.

I've more 2nd place finishes this year than in the last 3 years all together. Sort of down hearted I really can't complain. I had some bad days and lack of shooting 3Ds hasn't helped. And then to finish 2nd behind a couple of Pros and one well noted super fine shooter I think I have bragging rights ;)

Don B
07-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Sonny,
How many arrows at your shoots for 40 targets?
Out here we shoot 1 arrow 42 unmarked yardage targets- 2 arrows at 42 marked yardage targets.
What kind of scores do the bowhunter class shooters get?
My average for an unmarked shoot is around 320 and marked has been around 410.
Don.

Sonny Thomas
07-24-2013, 01:53 PM
All unknown distances, 40 targets, 1 arrow. $10.00, 2nd and more times through is half price. Trophy shoot every shoot. No known distance shoots. Can use range finders, but can't turn in score. We are thinking about a Range Finder class.

Below; Grabbed top 4 in each class.

BowHunter Free Style (NFAA clase), compound bow, fixed sight, release, 45 yards max, supposed to be that is.
Some shoot in 380s and up.
Copied from score sheet;
CBFSR
Tyson Hart 396 1st
Bart Loudermilk 387 2nd
Chris Smith 386 3rd
Tyler Wahls 380

BowHunter stake, 35 yard max, but if a tough shot isn't available it is to be shot with the Competition Stake (45 yards max) - Again 380s and up.
Copied from score sheet;
BowHunter
Brad Mortimer 382 1st
Ellie Sloweker 357 2nd
Joe Whetstine 352 3rd
John McCone 350

CBFSF; compound bow, fixed sights, fingers, 45 yards max (same as above); No scores for several months.. Check my records from 2010; Last person to win shot a 343.
Bare bow; compound bow, no sights, fingers, allow 12" stab, 35 yards max; No scores for several months. Checked my records from 2010; Last person to win shot a 290.

My class, Adult FreeStyle; Compound bow, movable sights, release, unlimited equipment. 45 yards max (same as above). Again, I R 64 and shoot Adult if no other old timers in my class.
ULMSR
Rob Parel 395 1st - said to Hoyt Pro Staff shooter
Sonny Thomas 382 2nd
Tom Anderson 373 3rd
Kyle Schultz 370

Don B
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
35 yards max???
Holy 400 round Batman...lol
I wish all I had to shoot was 35 yards max.
We shoot all the way out to 80 yards sometimes.
The pics I posted in the thread of my last shoot when I shot my Septer were 45+ yards.
I think the one where I have the big smile was almost 50 yards.
I would love to shoot a shoot at your range to see what kind of score I would post.
Don.

Double S
07-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Man, that all looks like fun!. I need to move and buy a house closer to a place that has competitions like that. I would never come home.:cool:

Sonny Thomas
07-24-2013, 06:58 PM
35 yards max???
Holy 400 round Batman...lol
I wish all I had to shoot was 35 yards max.
We shoot all the way out to 80 yards sometimes.
The pics I posted in the thread of my last shoot when I shot my Septer were 45+ yards.
I think the one where I have the big smile was almost 50 yards.
I would love to shoot a shoot at your range to see what kind of score I would post.
Don.

No. You missed how it is. If I didn't note; We do not score X rings. It's plain 10,8,5,0.
Bowhunter as in NFAA is 45 yards as per NFAA. Okay?

BowHunter Stake is a for real bowhunter tough shot. Kneel, find a hole (brush, tree limbs, vines, fences), shoot between trees, stretch and still touch the shooting stake. 35 yds for tough shot, 45 yds if not a tough shot.
Unlike the desert scenery we have young growth woods, Swamp grass head high, old growth timber, rolling grass land, brush every where. In some target lanes it's one lane in, man width. Other places are wide open and then platform shots - your feet are about 10 feet off the ground in the tallest.
Okay, the shots are there, just that they are surrounded with distractions.

And for Fulton County in Illinois, 20 can be a long shot and best have your shooting lanes cut. There is none of the stupid stuff like on TV. You have your bow in your hand from the time you get in your tree stand and until you leave your tree stand. You blink and you can have deer in your lap. Otherwise, 35 yards on a deer is probably max and I've had a few, maybe 6 or 7. One was so close I had to wait until he moved out. Looking through my peep there was only hair.

Sonny Thomas
07-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Man, that all looks like fun!. I need to move and buy a house closer to a place that has competitions like that. I would never come home.:cool:

Okay, our place was flooded. I've been rained out 4 or 5 times. BUT! If not for taking care of Home first with the flood damage...There are 15 3D clubs and 3 indoor ranges to shoot at and all within 1 hour's drive of my house. Just that the clubs all try to cooperate that are close together. So I have a club or indoor range to shoot at every weekend. And then there are Winter Leagues of 3D and spots. IE, we shoot year around.

Sonny Thomas
07-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Got my 2nd place trophy from the last shoot. Quite nice. Seems most clubs are dropping their awards progarm. Black Diamond Archery, Inc. has a good one and maybe why they are the top drawing club in the surrounding area. Trophy pictured is 2nd place and 17 inches tall.
Trophies for all classes provided there are at least two in a class, exception being Kids 11 and under - one kid = one trophy. Again, if any one missed, Kids 11 and under shoot free.

Sonny Thomas
07-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Black Diamond again, July 27, Saturday.
And disaster hits.
Woke up and like near froze to death, 54 degrees. Quite a drop from 85 degrees yesterday.
Wind is near howling at the range and making things colder. Waited around until 9:30 before sidekicks say they ain't coming.

Took off with a good group of 3, husband, wife, and their friend. Started out well, then just plain messed up. I thought I adjusted my scope height right, but didn't. Shot a 20 yard goat and darn near missed high.
Confused, I checked my sight and sure enough I looked at it wrong and had it set for 35 yards. Lord! I hate 5s.

So us being 4 a lone shooter catches up with us. His sidekicks didn't show either. So I joined him to give him company - 3D ain't near as fun by yourself you know. Anyway, this shooter can shoot. 11 targets straight we nailed the 10 rings and if one of us found the X both of us found the X. Those X rings on small Rineharts aren't all that big and especially on Turkeys. I was shooting my HT3s (.355" dia.) and Iyman (I believe) was shooting logs, arrows equivalent to 27/64" (.422"). Two or three times we filled the X ring on a Turkey, Poison Orange Frog and some other target (all Rineharts). We got too close, rattling,slapping arrow close. Double target, Honey Bear and Stump. Iyman shot first and nailed the X of the stump and then buried one low in the 10 ring of the Bear. Me up. I shoot for the stump, SLAP! Yeah, his arrow and my arrow vibrated a bit ;) So I thought I better get over his arrow in the Bear. I added a couple of clicks (.004") and go for the center 10. Crack! My arrow clipped the top of his arrow and my arrow proceed up out just out of the 10

So we go on shooting 10s until the last two targets of the first course. Course A having 23 targets and Course B having 24 - 40. I don't know what happened. I sure didn't think I hit anything with my bow as we walked along, but for targets 22 and 23 I thought dang sure I had the distance. Adjusted my scope, looked twice and plunked a 5! Almost missing low as the arrow was buried fletch deep in the thin part of the bottom of the chest. WTH did go through my mind, you can bet on that. Lord! Checked my sight, yep, 35 yards. Did a double look and definitely set for 35 yards. Aimed for the second target and shot another 5! :mad::mad: Checked everything for being tight and then looked at my peep. That dang had slid down. I like to be able to move my peep a tad, so it's not tied in tight and I have the string blackened with a felt marker. And there was something less than 1/8" light color showing. I showed Iyman. I then asked him to hold up. I moved the peep back up 1/8" to cover the light color and took aim on a target bag I figured about 22 yards. Drilled that sucker! Then I was really :mad:

So were at the break point of Course A and B and the club meeting was about to start. Iyman and I parted and we shook hands both of us definitely liking to shoot together again some time.

I went home after the meeting and did I quick check on my 35 range. I had to tweak the peep a bit more, but finish with being dead on for 20, 25, 30 and 35 yards.
The plan is to finish Course B tomorrow.

Don B
07-28-2013, 08:16 AM
You know Sonny,
If you were to get rig of all the foo foo stuff on your bow and shoot fingers, you would not have to worry about things moveing on you when you shoot....hee hee
Your friend Don...:cool:

Sonny Thomas
07-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I don't worry about things moving. It's after they move I get tiffed ;)

Seriously, I've had maybe 3 problem issues during archery events over some 13 years and only two that took me out of the event. It seems most are lucky to compete 100 times in their life whereas I've got that many awards and more on the wall and some that don't show through being donated to kid's events or through award being other than pins or standup trophies (I ain't hanging up cash ;) ). I am no super shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but well hold my own for club and state shoots.

Sonny Thomas
07-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Day 2, Course B. Well, it was a lack luster day, but a nice one. Woke up to near freezing to death again, 48 degrees! Waited until it warmed up some before heading for the range. Shot maybe 4 shots while waiting for sidekicks to show...that didn't. Kent McCoulah came down from Iowa and his norm family group couldn't make it. So he rushing about to get going he broke his sight and threw on a spare. He had the sigths somewhat set and we took off. Right off I messed up. Don't know what I did, but 8 and 5 disgusted me. To more 8s didn't help my disposition, but then I was concerned with Kent not having his sight set as well as he thought it was. So there we were, him shooting and me watching to see how his arrow hit. And then he adjusted in between targets. Finally got my head screwed on straight and proceeded to shoot half way descent. What some of it was, was targets in black holes or targets distracted by tree limbs and grass waving about. Just about nothing could be done to give me enough light to see this one target. It was so bad I just about gave up and a took a zero. On my fourth draw Kent took both my hat and his hand and held them up about 4 feet out to the side of me to block the sunlight on my scope lens. I caught a glimmer of the yellow on the target, gave a guess and let the arrow fly. Now, where my pin was there was nothing and I mean nothing, just black. I could only see my pin, but the arrow thumped foam. We went to the target and only at about 10 feet were we able to see I nailed a 10. Unbelieveable!

My score was horrible, but I turned in my score card. I can't remember the time I shot such a rotten score, 358/400. So not having my head screwed on to start with really cost me. Still, the wind so bad that there is a remote possibility that my score ain't all that bad. People weren't practicing on the practice range because the wind was moving them all over the place. This was the reason I went home, so I could get my peep back where it belonged.

SJunior
07-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Sounds like Kent is having a bad run, last weekend he was coming out of the course as I was going in at Flint River and said his rest had moved on him.

Sonny Thomas
07-29-2013, 04:52 AM
Kent, as from Iowa? Kent has a nice string building business there. If I can find his card I'll post. He does put out some fantastic strings of superb high quality.

SJunior
07-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Kent McCollum owns Kent's Custom Strings in Ft. Madison Iowa. Shoots PSE.

Sonny Thomas
07-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Yep, that be him. I guess someone just had this sight he had and Kent ended up selling to the guy. So put another and somehow broke it. He then put on one he had to tinker with. He'd move it, move it some more and then it take off and move too far. Now, all he had was these pliers that a little worth more than worthless = He told me so ;) We got to this one target and he hit about six right of where he was aiming. He shot at his arrow and his second arrow went 6 right of his first. So he moved it again....5th or 6th time, maybe more. Now, we were just shooting, nothing serious and Kent never once lost his cool. Darn good natured feller. Anyway, of our last target Kent drilled the X and I followed him. Pair of Xs we got.
This was the last target of the second course and I had finished the first course the day before. We got up to the Concession stand where we parted, but I bought him soda and rattled a tad I got his phone number. He forgot to bring his cards and I had given out all his others.

Sonny Thomas
08-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Didn't shoot today, but got last month's scores. Now, rotten as my score was I turned it in and was even told to turn in. Man, if I thought my score was bad.... I know darned well there were just me and Kevin. I know there were at least 2 others and should have been enough for about 10 in class.
And Kevin was even down. The last two targets where I found my peep moved, right there was enough to bring me with 10 of Kevin and just slopping along Sunday with my attitude finished me. Ya just gots to keep plugging and forget that last target or down hill slide of another day.

Ahhhhh! Me thinks me knows...Bad scores don't look good especially behind other bad scores. Yeah, don't turn in your score card and no bad score to see. Well, Ben Pearson Outdoors will see mine. I shot what I shot and dang glad I got that....

ULMSR
Kevin Tracey 378 1st
Sonny Thomas 358 2nd

Sonny Thomas
08-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Aug 25, 2013 Black Diamond 3D.

Had one of my best worst days today. When I shot good I was dead, dead on. When I shot bad me gots a 5....Mercy. And all but one shot was due to having a lens. Sun light and black holes just killed me. And I'll tell you, it was hot and the first 20 targets took forever to shoot. We covered perhaps a 1/2 mile to shoot 10 targets, they were spread out that much and all were in the sun. I wouldn't doubt 3/4 of a mile for the 20 targets. I think we started around 8:30 or so and finished target 20 around 11:30 and having 6 doubled up targets didn't help. There were 5 of us in the group and one had his 10 year old son with him....and this isn't knocking the boy. In fact, the boy just plain walked up to the stake and blazed away.

I shot with Dan Terill, president on the Pekin Archers. Travis ????, a young man and fairly good shooter. Tim Yocum, semi Pro ASA shooter and PSE Pro Staff shooter. Kevin Koch, ASA Pro Shooter and I believe Pro Staff shooter for Elite.

Again, heat and time Tim, Travis pulled out at the half point. Dan was a aggrevated with the time issue and, I believe tired, he and his hinge release weren't getting along.

Kevin and I plugged on after we all had a drink. Again, when I was on I was on. There wasn't any of this just catching the line. This club does not score 12s, but if it had I would have a bunch of them and Kevin also. Again, black holes just killed me. A lens is so nice, but glare can give false sighting and 3 times I had that to give me 3 5s. The fourth was just me and so were the 4 8s I got.

My best non-counting 12 came with me shooting lead off. A caribou that I figure 42 yards. Sight set, I took aim and everything was perfect and the arrow just went, no thinking involved. When the arrow hit home I ripped off; "If I ain't got that nailed somebody moved the X ring." Sure enough I drilled the X.

I did mess up on the bonus steel target. I just plain didn't give it enough gas. I was dead center, but 1/4" low to give me a 10. Blew my arrow in the weirdest manner I every saw. The first inches of the arrow were driven back in the shaft. The pin bushing mushroomed the nock end and never hurt the point or the pin bushing and nock. If not for the splinters you thought just a shorter arrow.

Anyway, I shot a 372/400. Not good, but probably not bad either, but won't know until they post scores. And I wasn't paying attention or just use to it. My bow hand, rebuilt 10 years ago, tends to swell some. Heat or tired or both my hand swelled that when I pulled wrist watch off there was a groove about 1/8" deep or more halfway around my wrist - usually from on back the wrist and around past the thumb on the palm side.

And again many Unlimited (Free style / Open) shooters did not turn in score cards - 3 being those in our group.

I don't know what has happened in the last few years. At one time the Unlimited class was Black Diamond's second largest class. Now, it's lucky to draw 10 shooters. CBFSR (Compound bow, fixed sights and release) holds 1st in numbers. Second in numbers is the same type shooter, but shoot in our Bowhunter class (tough shot class, if you will). And Traditional is making a come back, out numbering the Unlimited class.

Sonny Thomas
10-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Update; I got 1st place. Unbelieveable...........