PDA

View Full Version : Academy Sports / Dick's Sporting Goods drop Martin?

hawkdriver55
07-01-2013, 08:32 AM
The academy sports near me used to have tons of Martins on the walls. Now they don't have any. Same thing with Dick's Sporting goods where I live. What happened??????? Did Martin loose the deal with both these retailers???????

Tosi
07-01-2013, 10:14 AM
You can't find any Martin @ any store (Big Box/Dealers) in Az. The two archery shops here in town; one droped Matin and the other have not recived any to date. The 2012 are also gone due to a reduced price tag. I would think it has something to do with the sale and new managment changes.

hawkdriver55
07-01-2013, 11:22 AM
I which someone at Martin would throw us a "bone". Martin has a loyal customer base , and it is not like Martin is the largest brand out there. Here on the east coast I here alot of "Hey what kind of bow is that?" When folks with other brands see my bow.

wscywabbit
07-01-2013, 01:40 PM
I also noticed that Cabelas isn't carrying any Martin compounds this year either. They did have some recurves, but no compounds. Not even on their website.

Dale817
07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
The local dealer here quit selling Martin also, she said it took to long to get them! Hawkdriver55 is right, Martin does have a loyal fan base. I sure hope all turns out well!

Rangerj
07-02-2013, 08:18 AM
I didn't see any Martin Bows in the Bass Pro catalog this year. Would be nice to know what's up. Hope all is well.

hawkdriver55
07-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I didn't see any Martin Bows in the Bass Pro catalog this year. Would be nice to know what's up. Hope all is well.

Recieved a little inside information ............All is not well. The company may be "ok" but there are things going on that are not what you would expect to see from a company like Martin.

Lets connect the dots....

Cabelas dropped them
Dick's Sporting Goods Dropped them
Academy Sports no long has thier bows in stock
Bass Pro doesn"t have Martin either
Local shops are not hanging 2013s on the walls
and
K&M is slinging out frankien bows like crazy....2012 and some 2013, it think, with Accu trak cams. (scary, like someone said clear out all the parts inventory)

Its a freaking shame. Martin had made some AWESOME bows!!!! I don't see how a company can loose that many major retailers and still make it. I hope I am worng!!!!!

Before you guys at Martin ban me and delete this post. Know that I love your product and would love to see Martin grow its market in the bow industry more than anyone else.

I will contintue to sit and watch.

MI1
07-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Recieved a little inside information ............All is not well. The company may be "ok" but there are things going on that are not what you would expect to see from a company like Martin.

Lets connect the dots....

Cabelas dropped them
Dick's Sporting Goods Dropped them
Academy Sports no long has thier bows in stock
Bass Pro doesn"t have Martin either
Local shops are not hanging 2013s on the walls

Its a freaking shame. Martin had made some AWESOME bows!!!!

I will contintue to sit and watch.

what about gander mtn...?

If this were me posting this i would've been banned for the 5th time.....lol
likely this will get deleted, but for now....i guess anybody can read into it any way they want....
Makes me worried as well......i'm going to hold out from anymore purchases until i see growth and stability. All could be fine for all we know...
Good Luck to Martin and it's employees.

dzsmith2
07-02-2013, 09:25 AM
It's been a long time coming fellows, and it caught up with them

hawkdriver55
07-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Well if they close shop then I am going back to the guys in Tucson I quess. I had narrowed it down to the Cougar and the Revenge when I bought the Cougar. Same IBO and about the same length. Cougar just felt better and had a little better draw cycle. IMO. I will keep the Cougar no matter what happens with the company.

bfisher
07-02-2013, 02:54 PM
It could be that all these major retailers aren't stocking their bows because they aren't shipping them. Ever think of it that way? Tell you guys this. I've been a staff shooter for 20 years now. Martin is the 4th company I've been with and I've been with them since the beginning of 2004. I'm 66 years old and have been pondering for several years of giving up the staff position. If Martin does go out of business it won't be any skin off my nose. I just feel for the employees that will have to look for another job.

And for what it's worth we might not get much more time to converse here on this site. If Martin goes down then more than likely there will be no need for the Tech Forums. This I will miss, and the guys on here. What's even more scary is that Archery Talk is owned by Terry Martin. Where would all the people go if that disappeared? Something to think about.

TEN RING
07-02-2013, 03:05 PM
I know bow string depot can start a forum and we can all go there :cool:

MI1
07-02-2013, 03:18 PM
It could be that all these major retailers aren't stocking their bows because they aren't shipping them. Ever think of it that way? Tell you guys this. I've been a staff shooter for 20 years now. Martin is the 4th company I've been with and I've been with them since the beginning of 2004. I'm 66 years old and have been pondering for several years of giving up the staff position. If Martin does go out of business it won't be any skin off my nose. I just feel for the employees that will have to look for another job.

And for what it's worth we might not get much more time to converse here on this site. If Martin goes down then more than likely there will be no need for the Tech Forums. This I will miss, and the guys on here. What's even more scary is that Archery Talk is owned by Terry Martin. Where would all the people go if that disappeared? Something to think about.

well said and well put...i to feel for the employees.
There is bowhunting.com....it's actually a great sight. I see Hutch and a few others on there as well.
i would have to think with all the avertisements on AT that it's paying for itself....maybe not though.
I think bfishers response on here is somewhat telling. Trying not to read into it, but no one from Martin has cared to get on here and dilute the latest rumors. Maybe it is what it is.....

Arrow Splitter
07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
There's also this one:http://www.huntbuds.com/#&panel1-1 A bunch of us from here are over there already.:cool: It's a great forum, and if you join, don't forget to use me as a referral.:D

A.S

dzsmith2
07-02-2013, 06:34 PM

i remember joel mentioning a while back that martin has no affiliation with archery talk.

Simple Life
07-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Even Nuge is gone

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2040514

wscywabbit
07-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Yep I saw that Uncle Ted has also found a new sponsor. But did it have to be Matthews? LOL

Sonny Thomas
07-02-2013, 08:19 PM
i remember joel mentioning a while back that martin has no affiliation with archery talk.

Yes, AT is a separate entity, owned soley by Terry Martin, as I understand. Not attached to the Martin company, AT is pretty much self supported through many sponsors. And if anyone has noticed AT members can now pay "X" amount for different levels of membership. Become a paying member and some of the ads go away.

And if you noticed more and more of the ads are not archery related.

otisT
07-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Probably better than owning a bow company.

IF the company goes away, so will this site, probably. That, I'm sorry for; have enjoyed the nice folks here and their willingness to be of help. So, that's a shame but, from what I gather, that Archery Talk site is quite successful. Even if not, niches always get filled. Winston Churchill didn't say "The graveyards are full of indispensable companies" but he could have.

MI1
07-03-2013, 05:53 AM
well it's been about 24 hours since some threads started saying that joel was let go and some other info / rumors are flying out there.

I would've thought that someone official from Martin would get on here and post something regarding the status of the company.

So 3 things come to mind.

1. Either there must be some truth to it or
2. they don't have a pulse on their brand and business or their own website and put the naysayers to rest.
3. all the above....

what a circus...

wscywabbit
07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Well I would imagine that Martin has their hands full at the moment, and probably don't feel that the firing of an employee, no matter who it was, is really news worthy. As for the rumors of them closing the doors, I think there would probably be a press release if it were true.

More likely they are going through a transition phase of some sort. Remember they have a new CEO, and they are trying to make the business more attractive to buyers; I imagine there's some major changes going on and we're just seeing a small part of the story. For all we know they may have decided to scale back and sell directly to their fans in small numbers so they could upgrade their facilities. Idk, just hypothesizing but the point is that when they are finished they will pull the curtains back and let everyone see the big picture.

Joel was definitely a loss, but I'm sure they only let him go because they had no choice. Which means he really screwed up. We may find out the real story one day, maybe not. Joel probably has been told to keep the circumstances quiet, and Martin probably doesn't want to air office politics.

WildWilt15
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Well I would imagine that Martin has their hands full at the moment, and probably don't feel that the firing of an employee, no matter who it was, is really news worthy. As for the rumors of them closing the doors, I think there would probably be a press release if it were true.

More likely they are going through a transition phase of some sort. Remember they have a new CEO, and they are trying to make the business more attractive to buyers; I imagine there's some major changes going on and we're just seeing a small part of the story. For all we know they may have decided to scale back and sell directly to their fans in small numbers so they could upgrade their facilities. Idk, just hypothesizing but the point is that when they are finished they will pull the curtains back and let everyone see the big picture.

Joel was definitely a loss, but I'm sure they only let him go because they had no choice. Which means he really screwed up. We may find out the real story one day, maybe not. Joel probably has been told to keep the circumstances quiet, and Martin probably doesn't want to air office politics.

Well said wabbit.

Tosi
07-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Well said wscywabbit, If it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck. Bussiness 101.

Good Riddance
07-03-2013, 03:37 PM

If by 'really screwed up' you mean sticking up for our dealers then yes...I really screwed up. Sometimes you appoint a new CEO...other times one is appointed for you.

MI1
07-03-2013, 04:33 PM
we can only applaud you Joel....you were doing what you felt best....for the customer and dealer.....the backbone of the archery business.

wscywabbit
07-03-2013, 05:34 PM
If by 'really screwed up' you mean sticking up for our dealers then yes...I really screwed up. Sometimes you appoint a new CEO...other times one is appointed for you.

Well Joel, I'm glad that you had the moral strength to stick your neck out but I am very sorry that it got said neck cut off. If the new CEO was using you to make a point then that really sucks for not only you but for the rest of us as well because we all know you were very good at your job.

Like I said before, we're only getting a peak at the whole picture. Hopefully when the dust clears there will still be a Martin Archery standing.

Ehunter
07-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Personally, Joel was the main thing that kept me with Martin. I applaud him for his efforts to help and protect us archers, as well as the dealers. I am sorry Martin didn't have the foresight to look at what all Joel has done for us, and realize that he was a key component in keeping customers, and dealers as happy as possible. I for one, will be holding off on buying anything Martin until some good reviews of the "new powers that be" start coming in.

dzsmith2
07-04-2013, 01:59 AM

Yeah I imagine it was them , not him. We appreciated Joel

Arrow Splitter
07-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah I imagine it was them , not him. We appreciated JoelYou just replied to him.;)

A.S

otisT
08-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Hunting seasons are sneaking up and I remembered this thread. I would guess around this time of year (hunting season is one of the four seasons, isn't it?) is an active time for the sales of hunting related items, bows, archery gear? The time of year hobbyists, as I refer to the less then 'avid' bow hunters, would be getting enthused and gathering up new equipment they've been dreaming about; bows per this conversation. Just wondering if you folks are now seeing Martin out there in front of the consumers? Now, I'd think, would be the time of year they'd HAVE to have their products 'on the shelves' if they are going to have any kind of a successful sales year. Some of you who posted earlier; are you now seeing Martin products where they were conspicuously missing when you posted before?

P.S. Yes, I KNOW one should be into bow hunting as a year round sport. But, I'd bet most bows, particularly moderately priced ones, are sold to folks who get excited to 'go hunting' only a month or two before the seasons open. Bet you that even dedicated bow hunters often decide to bite the silver bullet and go on and step up into a new bow only a couple months before the seasons open; "Couple months; I'll have 'er tuned and ready in that time." And, it really is enough time for an avid archer to get 'her' ready. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'd think this would be a major archery products selling time of year, if not THE major time of the year; just wondering if you all are seeing Martin out there, available?

dzsmith2
08-02-2013, 10:02 AM
old news.....yes they were dropped.