PDA

View Full Version : How to, Removing Glued Nocks

carl365
07-08-2013, 06:14 PM
I have a bunch of arrows that have glued on nocks and I want to replace them with new nocks, the old ones are over 20 years old. Looking for the best way to remove them. I took one and made a slot with a Dremel tool small saw blade, inserted screwdriver and the nock split. But it's a chancy affair, can cut too deep and nick the arrow swage.

BTW, is it me or are glued on nocks getting harder to find?

Thanks, Carl

Sonny Thomas
07-08-2013, 09:05 PM
If aluminum I just use a pair of pliers, grip the nock and twist the arrow. You could heat them also and use the pliers.

Old wood is something else.

Can order conventional glue on nocks from Martin - see accessory pages of catalog.
Lancaster's new catalog, page 48, Marco BJ Conventional glue on nocks, $3.00 per dozen.

Note; More and more people are going with easton inserts and nocks. You then have turnable nocks. Most just cut the arrow at the junction of the nock and arrow with a arrow saw..... Done it bunch.

carl365
07-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks Sonny Thomas, yes these are the old X7's. I have 25 of them I like to use learning recurve. I thought about cutting the nock end off but that would shorten the arrow too much since they are already to minimum length.

Carl

Sonny Thomas
07-10-2013, 06:45 AM
I don't think cutting them would overly shorten them. Cut just right, at the taper. The Easton insert is right 1/4" long and then the nock (longer) fits in the insert. ** Just a sec, I'll do some checking - I've got both. Yep, cut just right the Easton insert and nock will give the same length....

carl365
07-10-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't think cutting them would overly shorten them. Cut just right, at the taper. The Easton insert is right 1/4" long and then the nock (longer) fits in the insert. ** Just a sec, I'll do some checking - I've got both. Yep, cut just right the Easton insert and nock will give the same length....

I'll recheck the arrow length measurement, one problem may be my particular arrow size 1914 may not have inserts available according to the Easton chart. If not, it's ok, I just have to be sure and glue the new nock at the right angle for vane clearance.

Carl